• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

TheDarkPrince

List of ALL F2L algorithms?

Hi!

I'm new to cubing and have learned intuitive F2L, but there are still many cases where I do something that I suspect may be stupid. Like if a corner is already in a corner, but the wrong one, I will move it to the top, before putting it in the correct slot. Here's an extremely simple example scramble:

S R S'

Front right corner needs to be moved to back right corner with the correct edge. A beginner might solve it like this:

F' U' F U B U' B'

This can be simplified to S' R' S, which even a beginner like myself managed, but what if that corner was to go into the front left or back left corner instead of the back right corner? I can move it to the top, make the pair and insert it, but there might be a faster way there too.

Is there a list of ALL F2L cases somewhere, or at least all the ones where a corner needs to be moved to another slot? I realize it would be a few hundred algorithms and I don't intend to memorize all of them, but I would just like to run through them once or twice and then I'm sure I would find many cases where I would realize there are simpler, faster ways than what I would have done.

Thank you very much for your time. :)

Smiles

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi!

I'm new to cubing and have learned intuitive F2L, but there are still many cases where I do something that I suspect may be stupid. Like if a corner is already in a corner, but the wrong one, I will move it to the top, before putting it in the correct slot. Here's an extremely simple example scramble:

S R S'

Front right corner needs to be moved to back right corner with the correct edge. A beginner might solve it like this:

F' U' F U B U' B'

This can be simplified to S' R' S, which even a beginner like myself managed, but what if that corner was to go into the front left or back left corner instead of the back right corner? I can move it to the top, make the pair and insert it, but there might be a faster way there too.

Is there a list of ALL F2L cases somewhere, or at least all the ones where a corner needs to be moved to another slot? I realize it would be a few hundred algorithms and I don't intend to memorize all of them, but I would just like to run through them once or twice and then I'm sure I would find many cases where I would realize there are simpler, faster ways than what I would have done.

You're in luck because you don't need algorithms! In pretty much all situations you described, you just need to experiment with RUR' and RU'R' and its mirrors to see what pairs them up. Always just pair up the corner and edge, then insert.

Scramble: R U R' B' U B
Pair: L U' L'

Scramble: R U' R' B U' B'
Pair: U2 R' U R

I guess you could learn some fancy algorithms for these cases, idk where they might have them but you can generate solutions to especially annoying cases by yourself using cube explorer.

Those are just a few examples, you can experiment on your own with what makes pairs. Just put the edge at different spots in the top layer and try taking out the corner in any way you can. I showed 2 examples of where it's not so intuitive that the pair can be made like that, but nevertheless you should just memorize that it works.

And for your S R S' case:
Front right slot: R U' R' U R U' R'
Front left slot: y' R' U' R2 U2 R'
Back left slot: R U' R' L U2 L'

Notice how I used 2 different ways to pair them up depending on the case.

Last edited:

Sauce

Bananaland. In room 27 on the 3rd floor in Peel Ap
Hi!

S R S'

F' U' F U B U' B'

Hey there. Not the expert with CFOP, as I prefer Petrus, but that is a different story. Search the web for if there are actually any F2L algorithms for your case, there probably are none. There are also too many F2L cases because you have solved so little, especially for Petrus block building. You can put your intuition to the test and try to do an efficient way, which I think is the best way to do it. I had to do this for finishing the F2L in Petrus while preserving edge orientation. If all else fails, than use cube explorer as you mentioned, or try out algdb.net. Not sure if algdb.net will help so much though,

I hope this helped! (Also relatively new to the cubing field, apologies if links do not work too.)

I just have a quick question, forgive me if this isn't the right place. On a Dayan Zhanchi 5, were the center caps originally glued on with some sort of adhesive? Or were they just stuck in the slots without any sort of glue? Looking at mine now, I see some shiny residue but I'm not sure if that's glue or not.

lerenard

Is there a decent video showing some OH F2L stuff? I'm learning CFOP specifically for OH, but I think I do a lot of inefficient pairs, because it's all intuitive.

I think ZZ is better for OH if you want to learn a new method.

If you feel like you're being inefficient, that probably has nothing to do with you only using one hand. If you want, just practice 2H and then maybe OH will be easier. A lot of F2L is like Roux second block, except instead of the M slice you just use cube rotations, see if that helps you figure stuff out.

Arkwell

OLLs, PLLs from all angles?

Guys, another noob question. I know I have to go through two look OLL & PLL first but I came across these 2 alg pages on Speedcubing.com. It's actually the first time I've seen someone list OLLs & PLLs from 4 corners like you would learn to do F2L cases. Ignoring the algs which are probably old, when I get to OLL/PLLs should I be thinking of it as 57 OLLs & 21 PLLs with AUF's + reflections or should I be looking at doing OLLs/PLLs from all angles with better algs than 'Peters' page?

http://www.speedcubing.com/peter/AllesFastOrient.html

http://www.speedcubing.com/peter/AllesFastPermute.html

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Guys, another noob question. I know I have to go through two look OLL & PLL first but I came across these 2 alg pages on Speedcubing.com. It's actually the first time I've seen someone list OLLs & PLLs from 4 corners like you would learn to do F2L cases. Ignoring the algs which are probably old, when I get to OLL/PLLs should I be thinking of it as 57 OLLs & 21 PLLs with AUF's + reflections or should I be looking at doing OLLs/PLLs from all angles with better algs than 'Peters' page?
There's no need to learn them for all four AUFs. AUF before the alg, and use one alg per case. Eventually you might want to learn an extra alg for some of the PLLs, but that isn't really necessary.

Also, algdb.net has much better algs.

Tillie

I'm a newbie cuber and just hit 1:53 on the 3x3x3 cube. I'm using the original rubik's cube and wonder how much time you think I could improve only from buying a faster cube like the Dayan Zhanchi?

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm a newbie cuber and just hit 1:53 on the 3x3x3 cube. I'm using the original rubik's cube and wonder how much time you think I could improve only from buying a faster cube like the Dayan Zhanchi?

I think you could at least drop down to 1:20 or so, the rest will have to come with a speedsolving method (I assume you're using begginer's method) and practice.

babu2014

Algorithms, speed, and more!

Hello! I am a sub 50 3x3 solver and I have a few questions! Please answer all if you can, and thank you so much!
-Do you have any tips for learning algorithms?
-How long did it take you to get to learn all pll?
-Does music help you cube? I am listening to dubstep and i wonder if it helps!
-Tips for getting faster?
-What order should i learn my pll algorithms? Refer to cubewhiz.com
Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
It took me a bit over a month to learn full PLL.
I think it depends on the music you listen to. Some music distracts me, whereas there's one or two songs that I only seem to break PBs if I'm listening to them :p
To get faster, practise looking ahead during F2L. Not pausing during F2L will reduce times by a lot. Turning slowly can make you faster.
For PLL, learn Y perm as soon as possible. After learning it, learning T, J, L and then F will be made a lot easier. Also learn U/H/Z if you don't know them already. Learn N perms last, because they're the least common PLL (H perm is also not very common, but you need it for 2lPLL, so it's good to learn earlier). The order of the others doesn't really matter too much, so you could learn the easier ones (R perms, A perms) first. Don't avoid G perms like many people do; they're the most common PLLs. Learn them quite early on: they aren't that bad. Just don't learn them using diagrams with arrows, because they'll confuse you. Look for videos or images where you can see the blocks/headlights/other patterns.

Tillie

I think you could at least drop down to 1:20 or so, the rest will have to come with a speedsolving method (I assume you're using begginer's method) and practice.

Thanks!
I'm using CFOP but don't know any OLL or PLL, neither is my F2L very good and my cross is kinda bad (just started to do it on the bottom). I however hit 1:31 last night so I guess with the Dayan Zhanchi cube now ordered and just a little bit of practice sub 60 should be easy!

Takezaki

I'm having trouble understanding placement for fingers when doing fingertricks.

Like basically there are two ways that I need to hold the cube :

A- Thumbs from both hands on F and other fingers on B - That way I can easily do U and D moves aswell as R and L moves

B - Thumbs on D and other fingers on U - That way I can easily do F and B moves

Basically what I'm asking is how do you make things flow together when you have to chain F/B moves and U/D/R/L moves... I always have to regrip it and change from position A to B.

Smiles

YouTube
Visit Channel
Does anyone know how the average move count of summer variation compares to winter variation?
And assuming I magically know all the algs for it, which is probably faster: RUR'+COLL+EPLL or SV+PLL?

I'm having trouble understanding placement for fingers when doing fingertricks.

Like basically there are two ways that I need to hold the cube :

A- Thumbs from both hands on F and other fingers on B - That way I can easily do U and D moves aswell as R and L moves

B - Thumbs on D and other fingers on U - That way I can easily do F and B moves

Basically what I'm asking is how do you make things flow together when you have to chain F/B moves and U/D/R/L moves... I always have to regrip it and change from position A to B.

if you're right handed, your left hand should almost always be in position A for U', U2, D, D2, and L moves.
your right hand should shift between them as your do R moves. try not to get into position B unless the finger trick is easier that way. more often you should be in position A and your hands' starting positions should both depend on the alg.

For example, R' F R B' R' F' R B: this is an exception where your left hand should start in position B, but if you do an x rotation before you start, it's really just position A at a different angle.
and for F moves, try to find the fastest way to do them without regripping. if your right hand is in position B and your left hand is in position A, you can actually do F' with your left hand without regripping. it might feel awkward at first. it applies to J perm, Y perm, and R perm if you use the <R,U,F> versions.
and for something like R U R2 U' R' F R U R U' F', finding a good way to do that last F' is like this: R U R2 U' R' F R U l F' D'. no need to regrip!