• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Not sure how I'd find this out but what country has the largest number of WCA competitors as a percentage of a country's population?

Getting the total number of competitors from each country on the WCA database export would be trivial, but getting populations for the countries as the WCA defines them would be a chore. For example, this list puts Kosovo's population as part of Serbia, but Kosovo is considered its own country by the WCA. On the other hand, lists like this one put the Isle of Man as a separate country where the WCA recognizes that as part of the UK. Personally, I can't be bothered to do the research and compiling necessary to do this request correctly.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Getting the total number of competitors from each country on the WCA database export would be trivial, but getting populations for the countries as the WCA defines them would be a chore. For example, this list puts Kosovo's population as part of Serbia, but Kosovo is considered its own country by the WCA. On the other hand, lists like this one put the Isle of Man as a separate country where the WCA recognizes that as part of the UK. Personally, I can't be bothered to do the research and compiling necessary to do this request correctly.

How many countries does the WCA think there are?

grodlike

@ProStar there are competitors from 145 different "countries" in the WCA database.

@CodingCuber your answer appears to be Andorra, with 35 competitors from a population of 77,000.

There are a few holes.....including 3 countries in WCA that I didn't want to assume what they are. But overall it's a reasonable list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17XJrHfDlhscgKos398p_yG2UhGnh0YF1a0jWA1o6W60/edit?usp=sharing

There are some other details.....like the Population list has Puerto Rico (for instance) as a separate country, and since it's not listed in WCA, I don't know if they count it as USA, or if there haven't been any competitors. There are several other examples like this.

RankWCA CountryIDCompetitorsPopulationCompetitors per 1 million pop
Korea1873#N/A#N/A
Kosovo18#N/A#N/A
Samoa1#N/A#N/A
1Andorra3577142453.709
2Iceland89339031262.513
3Mongolia5203225167161.232
4New Zealand7274783063151.995
5Norway7665378857142.409
6Canada470437411047125.738
7Estonia1661325648125.222
8Australia301425203198119.588
9Sweden119110036379118.668
10Singapore6585804337113.364

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@ProStar there are competitors from 145 different "countries" in the WCA database.

@CodingCuber your answer appears to be Andorra, with 35 competitors from a population of 77,000.

There are a few holes.....including 3 countries in WCA that I didn't want to assume what they are. But overall it's a reasonable list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17XJrHfDlhscgKos398p_yG2UhGnh0YF1a0jWA1o6W60/edit?usp=sharing

There are some other details.....like the Population list has Puerto Rico (for instance) as a separate country, and since it's not listed in WCA, I don't know if they count it as USA, or if there haven't been any competitors. There are several other examples like this.

RankWCA CountryIDCompetitorsPopulationCompetitors per 1 million pop
Korea1873#N/A#N/A
Kosovo18#N/A#N/A
Samoa1#N/A#N/A
1Andorra3577142453.709
2Iceland89339031262.513
3Mongolia5203225167161.232
4New Zealand7274783063151.995
5Norway7665378857142.409
6Canada470437411047125.738
7Estonia1661325648125.222
8Australia301425203198119.588
9Sweden119110036379118.668
10Singapore6585804337113.364

This is somewhat accurate, but there are a lot of inconsistencies looking at your list of countries that you referenced - I'd imagine that every entry listed with another country in parentheses should be merged with that country in parentheses. Many of your questions about what countries are recognized could be answered by the current list of countries in the WCA: https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/regulations/countries/

Regarding "Korea" - this has always essentially meant South Korea, but the use of just "Korea" is done to protect anyone who might defect from North Korea and compete in a WCA competition. Their citizenship would be North Korea/DPRK, but it's obviously unsafe to have your country "North Korea" listed publicly with your name on the WCA website. DPRK is listed as a country on the WCA website to prevent additional divergences with the UN member list of countries (HK, Taiwan, Macau, and Kosovo being the only 4 I'm aware of), but it is pretty clear that anyone from DPRK would not want to be listed as from there anyway, and Korean delegates have long advocated for the use of "Korea" for this reason. You could probably justify having Korea be both of the populations combined or just South Korea, but I think the latter makes more sense for these purposes.

Last edited:

xyzzy

Regarding "Korea" - this has always essentially meant South Korea, but the use of just "Korea" is done to protect anyone who might defect from North Korea and compete in a WCA competition. Their citizenship would be North Korea/DPRK, but it's obviously unsafe to have your country "North Korea" listed publicly with your name on the WCA website. DPRK is listed as a country on the WCA website to prevent additional divergences with the UN member list of countries (HK, Taiwan, Macau, and Kosovo being the only 4 I'm aware of), but it is pretty clear that anyone from DPRK would not want to be listed as from there anyway, and Korean delegates have long advocated for the use of "Korea" for this reason. You could probably justify having Korea be both of the populations combined or just South Korea, but I think the latter makes more sense for these purposes.
I'm a bit confused by this. On the WCA website, there is no "Korea", but there are "Republic of Korea" (i.e. South Korea) and "Democratic People's Republic of Korea" (i.e. North Korea).

Insofar as safety is concerned, I feel like it might be even worse for a defector to be listed as a citizen of the other side, rather than being honest about their origin, but maybe what the citizenship shows up as is primarily a concern for North Koreans who are participating in competitions held in South Korea (as opposed to comps held in neither of the Koreas).

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, looking at profiles now, it looks like the database is the only place that uses the label "Korea" for the Republic of Korea now. The website used to simply list "Korea" as well, and I remember having this discussion with a Korean delegate a few years back when the WCA was creating their list of recognized countries. So how defectors would be handled is essentially irrelevant to this label now, "Korea" literally just means Republic of Korea according to the countries table.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Anyone have any idea on this stat?
The WCA definitely doesn't make that information public. You might to ask somebody on the WDPC (WCA Data Protection Committee), but they might not even want to give that info.

Also, for future reference, you should search for a megathread such as the following instead of making a new one.

WCA
2007ESPI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The WCA definitely doesn't make that information public. You might to ask somebody on the WDPC (WCA Data Protection Committee), but they might not even want to give that info.

Also, for future reference, you should search for a megathread such as the following instead of making a new one.
Thanks bro. Wat is a megathread I'm new here

Btw fun fact my cubing birthday is your real birthday. I've been cubing your whole life lol.

Last edited:

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
WCA
2007ESPI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks guys that's actually pretty interesting information I didn't know about before. I wonder when age group records will be incorporated into WCA? I know most of you are 7-15 years old so it's not really a topic of conversation but I think 30-39 and 40-49 should be age groups.

Btw for the record on November 15, 2017 I was the oldest person to have a sub 10 average in comp at 29yrs 34 days. I think it was low 9 avg or something. I'm currently 32 and haven't competed since then. My next competition might be when I'm 33 years old which I hope to get at least an 8.xx average if not 7.xx average by then. Just wondering if there have been any other fogies since 2017 who have gotten sub 10 avg in comp.

ender9994

WCA
2008GROM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It is definitely 30+ due to people like yumu tabuchi, rowe hessler etc. One, not ideal way, to get a lower limit is to look at top 100 avgs. From back in 2009, 2010, etc and see who is the oldest.

EDIT: I completely misunderstood the initial question. I thought you wanted oldest person currently who had at one point gotten sub 10

WCA
2007ESPI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks so much guys that's the kind of stuff I was looking for. Erik still competing has me feeling glad that there are still some of us hanging in there that still remember the type b with a rubiks core cube days.

I think it's either Phil Yu, Rowe Hessler, Erik Akkersdijk or @PhillipEspinoza.
Btw, Do you still do Cross on left?
(A bit Off topic lol)
How do you lookahead on it if you have to do x2s every time?
(I'm completely puzzled lol)

Ah, all names I recognize and respect. Feels good to be able to identify cubers' names.

The pro doesn't have to do x2's, we either do l2's or D's because we can intuit the pieces we cant see. Thanks for remembering me *in Eeyore's voice*