• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
D

Deleted member 55877

(y) (R’ F R U) (R U' R2' F') R2 U' R' (U R U R')

is supposed to be fast
That one is called the Collin Burns oll 55, it's decent but it's slower than R' F U R U' R2' F' R2U R' U' R (the one that @fun at the joy posted) and also the Collin Burns one doesn't let you avoid diag PLL whereas with R' F U R U' R2' F' R2U R' U' R you can avoid diag by doing it from the U2 angle

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
That one is called the Collin Burns oll 55, it's decent but it's slower than R' F U R U' R2' F' R2U R' U' R (the one that @fun at the joy posted) and also the Collin Burns one doesn't let you avoid diag PLL whereas with R' F U R U' R2' F' R2U R' U' R you can avoid diag by doing it from the U2 angle

How would you finger trick that?

MuaazCubes

I've been trying to find an alg for v perm I like, so I found two different algs, this one, "R' U R' U' R D' R' D R' U D' R2 U' R2 D R2" but I don't really like all of the D moves, the second one, "R' U R' U' y R' F' R2 U' R' U R' F R F" is shorter, but I don't really like the rotation in the middle of it. Any suggestions on which ones better?

zinzan8

I've been trying to find an alg for v perm I like, so I found two different algs, this one, "R' U R' U' R D' R' D R' U D' R2 U' R2 D R2" but I don't really like all of the D moves, the second one, "R' U R' U' y R' F' R2 U' R' U R' F R F" is shorter, but I don't really like the rotation in the middle of it. Any suggestions on which ones better?

I used the second one, but avoid the rotation with a d' instead of the U' y:

R' U R' d' R' F' R2 U' R' U R' F R F

D

Deleted member 55877

I use the second one but with F moves (and i have some cool fingertricks shown in the video, put it at 0.25x speed)

D

Deleted member 55877

Do you guys know a good alg for this case?

cube.rider.biz.png

I currently do L' U2 L R U' R' U F' r U r' but it's quite slow.

edit: R U' R' F U F' U L' U' L seems better, but it still isn't great. I'd like a solution that is 3-gen and is still fast

Last edited by a moderator:

Llewelys

Just do another case

Edit: Why are you *eye roll emoji*ing me lmao, I'm right
A big part of going from beginner F2L to a more advanced version is pair prioritization : you don't do the first thing you see, if what you see is a bad case

Here's the order of good to bad cases:
1. both pieces separated in the U layer
2. both pieces attached in the U layer
3. one piece in a slot and one in the U layer
4. both pieces in a slot (at least one of them misoriented)
5. both pieces in different slots

There's a bit of fluctuation of course, some cases from a category may be better than some cases in a better category, but this is a general rule.

So the case you're showing is definitely one of the bad cases.
The alg @Coneman gave is a good one: short, easy to fingertrick, doesn't hinder look ahead (preserves a P shape and more)
BUT it's such a niche case that you won't get to practise it at all during solves. If you get that case again (maybe 200 solves later?), you won't remember the alg quite exactly and you'll choke. You won't have practiced it enough for it to be worth it
In thousands of solves I had to deal with that case maybe once or twice, because I was on last 2 pairs and both pairs were inserted wrong in the last 2 slots.
If you watch example solves / reconstructions from the best cubers, they never deal with that case. They just choose a better pair instead.

TLDR; pair prioritization is a thing

Last edited: