• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Waffles

To me, Na Perms are ok while Nb perms are bad.

Wait... I’m the other way.

Whatever, it’s your choice what you believe and I can’t change that. But personally my opinion is that Nb perm has 1 regrip, and a decent standard algorithm. Na has either a stupidly long standard alg (21 moves) or a reasonably good other algorithm (R F U’ R’ U R U F’ R2 F’ R U R U’ R’ F), 16 moves.

My PBs for the algs:

Na standard alg: 1.6
Na other alg: 1.5
Nb standard alg: 1.4

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wait... I’m the other way.

Whatever, it’s your choice what you believe and I can’t change that. But personally my opinion is that Nb perm has 1 regrip, and a decent standard algorithm. Na has either a stupidly long standard alg (21 moves) or a reasonably good other algorithm (R F U’ R’ U R U F’ R2 F’ R U R U’ R’ F), 16 moves.
Everyone's the other way lol

Standard Nb is r' D' F r U' r' F' D r2 U r' U' r' F r F' which is regripless. Idk which Nb you're talking about.

My PBs for the algs:

Na standard alg: 1.6
Na other alg: 1.5
Nb standard alg: 1.4
My PBs:

Na: 1.9
Nb: 1.7

I'm thinking of switching to R F U’ R’ U R U F’ R2 F’ R U R U’ R’ F for Na but I'm slo at it lol.

xyzzy

Why the heck do you guys keep saying "standard alg" for things that never had standard algs, or things where the standard alg now is different from the old standard alg?

These PLL cases have or had standard algs:
("old" means roughly 2015-2018; for the MU algs I'm counting mirrors as the same alg because it makes no sense to separate the algs by whether you use your left hand for M2s or right hand for M2s)

A perms (x R' U R' D2 R U' R' D2 R2 x' and inverse)
E perm (x' R U' R' D R U R' D' R U R' D R U' R' D' x)
F perm (old standard alg: R' U' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' U R; no current standard alg)
H perm (M2 U M2 U2 M2 U M2 and mirror)
Ja perm (old standard alg: R' U L' U2 R U' R' U2 R L; current standard alg: x R2 F R F' R U2 r' U r U2 x')
Jb perm (R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R')
Na perm (old standard alg: the 21-move abomination; no current standard alg)
T perm (R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F')
V perm (old standard alg: R' U R' d' R' F' R2 U' R' U R' F R F; no current standard alg)
Y perm (F R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R F')
Z perm (old standard alg: M2 U M2 U M' U2 M2 U2 M' and mirror; less old standard alg: M' U M2 U M2 U M' U2 M and mirror; no current standard alg)

If you refer to a standard alg for these cases, people will understand which algs you're referring to. Not so for the other PLL cases! Sometimes you can disambiguate further by giving the first few moves of the alg or the move set of the alg (the "gens", as some people call it), e.g. it makes sense to speak of the "standard" RUS U perms (R2 U' S' U2 S U' R2 and R2 U' S R2 S' R2 U R2), or the f-move V perm (R' U R U' R' f' U' R U2 R' U' R U' R' f R).

(I genned a lot of my OLL algs on my own rather than looking up alg sheets so I have no good sense of which ones are "standard" algs and which ones aren't, but you should basically never talk about OLL algs like "standard OLL 23 alg" anyway because almost nobody has the OLL numbering memorised.)

Last edited:

xyzzy

Isn't the current one R F U’ R’ U R U F’ R2 F’ R U R U’ R’ F ?
The inverse of that sees some use too, and even then the top alg on SCDB is still the 21-move garbage.

(A lot of SCDB votes are from kids who just follow whichever youtuber they see or whatever hip Discord servers they're in, so they follow recent trends (see e.g. the RUD V perms being at the top), and despite that the 21-move alg is still at the top.)

YouTube
Visit Channel
21-move garbage.
It isn't garbage. It's ok but too long.
F perm (old standard alg: R' U' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' U R; no current standard alg)
There are the 14 move RUF F perms and the S move F perms that people consider standard nowadays ig but the old 15 mover is still on top of the list at SCDB.

YouTube
Visit Channel
This exactly illustrates my point. "Standard" means nothing when there are algs that have only recently been gaining popularity. It's too ambiguous.
Nowadays, with ever changing preferences, I don't think there will be "standard algs" anymore. There might be 3-4 OO algs from which you have to choose one as a main alg.

xyzzy

Nobody asked for this and nobody should learn from this, but here are my PLLs:
1HvJp9u.png

(imagine knowing over 60 PLL algs and the top quartile by speed is mostly U perms)

(My timings for the MU EPLLs are 0.2-0.3 faster if I start from MU grip, but that's stupid because my hands are almost never in MU grip at the start of PLL. Also, due to timer starts/stops, the actual timings are 0.1-ish faster than what's in the sheet. Also also, these times are means and they include all lockups and mistakes.)

I kinda want to do this for the other alg sets too (OLL/OLLCP, ZBLL, ELL, ???) but drilling algs is also kinda boring, so eh.

On another note:
(2017-07-16)
Still using R U2 R' U2 R B' R' U' R U R B R2 (front-back mirror of the standard Rb alg), although I learnt R U R' F' R U2 R' U2 R' F R U R U2 R' a while back and it's somewhat faster for me. I really should switch at some point, although it's a bit hard for me because I've been using the RBU alg for years and I keep doing the AUF for that alg instead of the faster RFU alg.
Guess I need to un-rewire my recognition for Rb so I use the RUB alg for at least the front swap angle.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Nobody asked for this and nobody should learn from this, but here are my PLLs:
1HvJp9u.png

(imagine knowing over 60 PLL algs and the top quartile by speed is mostly U perms)

(My timings for the MU EPLLs are 0.2-0.3 faster if I start from MU grip, but that's stupid because my hands are almost never in MU grip at the start of PLL. Also, due to timer starts/stops, the actual timings are 0.1-ish faster than what's in the sheet. Also also, these times are means and they include all lockups and mistakes.)

I kinda want to do this for the other alg sets too (OLL/OLLCP, ZBLL, ELL, ???) but drilling algs is also kinda boring, so eh.

On another note:

Guess I need to un-rewire my recognition for Rb so I use the RUB alg for at least the front swap angle.
You're faster than me yet I have faster PLLs lol(not flexing, just a weird fact)

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
You're faster than me yet I have faster PLLs lol(not flexing, just a weird fact)
Yeah PLL algs are probably the worst way to see how fast someone is. Sure, if your fast you tend to also have the fastest PLL times, but in your case its not true. It's kind of like watching a short Olympic event, like the 100m, and assuming that all of those guys have great mile times.

kubesolver

Premium Member
ok, ok. I know I'm terrible but look
R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R U' S' U2' S U' R2
It's basically my worst G-perm turning into Jb + RUS Uperm with no AUF in between.

I can do the RUD G-perm in 2.2s tops and this one I can sub-2 on a good try. And I mess up the normal G-perm way too often so I think this is my new G-perm for my upcoming comp.

ruffleduck

YouTube
Visit Channel
ok, ok. I know I'm terrible but look
R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R U' S' U2' S U' R2
It's basically my worst G-perm turning into Jb + RUS Uperm with no AUF in between.

I can do the RUD G-perm in 2.2s tops and this one I can sub-2 on a good try. And I mess up the normal G-perm way too often so I think this is my new G-perm for my upcoming comp.
Try the RUD alg. It isn't easy to mess up