• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Finger Tricks Discussion and Help

Aksoan

Good advice, the only problem as I said is that I've never seen anyone use my B from neutral, so I'm not sure if I'm meant to. As for my G perm, I just do a similar to thumb f move so I guess I'll practice that

Want2BSub20

Hi all,

Hope everyone is safe and healthy - so I’m 34, got a standard Rubix on Christmas Day and I can’t put it down (that’s not the help I need by the way). Just love it - I’m going through Feliks’ awesome cubeskills tutorials, and am currently optimising the beginner method by working on becoming CN and solving the cross on the bottom.

One area I would love to have some clarity on is when solving the bottom cross I sometimes have a case where I need to flip the edge in the bottom layer. So naturally I would do either a f/f’ then a d/d’ - that transition from both of those faces I find slow as I’m having to change grip.

Is this just me needing to practice that transition better or is there a more fluent way of doing this?

Any video examples would be awesome

Thanks very much!

James

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
You should adapt to using fingertricks in certain situations.
For F/F’ I normally use my thumbs to pull down the face either way, and for D/D’ I just use my ring finger along the bottom and push like a U. Sometimes when it’s convenient though (if you’re already in the grip), I use the index fingers for F/F’, basically rotating and acting like it’s a U layer.

Would me more helpful if you told us what exactly you’re doing :)

Want2BSub20

Thanks for the reply PetrusQuber - i appreciate it!

So to give a bit more scope as to what i'm doing,as an example, i could be attempting to solve the cross on the bottom and i have a case where a white edge needs flipping:

IMG_0540 (2).jpg

So with this example - would use F, D', L, D - but two points really:

The transition from F to D' - or the mirror of that, is a bit clunky as i have to change grips, and also with D/D' movements what fingers are best to use, 3rd and 4th?

Ultimately, what i want to achieve from this is fluency in my moves so i'm not losing time transitioning from one grip to another.

Thanks for your help! :)

SenorJuan

I'm sure most of the experienced people on here would advise you to avoid the case ( and it's close relatives ) where possible. Not only is it clumsy to execute, it's also 3 or 4 turns to just solve one edge-piece.
Try and integrate the solution of that edge into the rest of the cross. If you've worked out the first 3 edges, and realised this will be your 4th edge case, try and modify your first 3 edge solution. Perhaps next time this case comes up, stop, and really think about your cross solution, and spend several minutes assessing what you might do differently. Hopefully your discoveries will work their way into your next solves.
( I'm not all that hot at the 'cross', and often only manage to solve 3 edges in inspection, and have to 'wing it' on the final one, so this case does come up for me, but not as frequently as it used to, as I've no doubt worked out some 'mitigation tactics' . )

Want2BSub20

Very interesting and thank you for sharing that with me - some great advice. Are there any resources that you would recommend that help identify those different solutions or is it more trial and error?

Also, just to ask - with the transition i mentioned, how would you go about it if you had to do it (fluency wise, finger tricks etc)?

Thanks SenorJuan

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm sure most of the experienced people on here would advise you to avoid the case ( and it's close relatives ) where possible. Not only is it clumsy to execute, it's also 3 or 4 turns to just solve one edge-piece.
Try and integrate the solution of that edge into the rest of the cross. If you've worked out the first 3 edges, and realised this will be your 4th edge case, try and modify your first 3 edge solution. Perhaps next time this case comes up, stop, and really think about your cross solution, and spend several minutes assessing what you might do differently. Hopefully your discoveries will work their way into your next solves.
( I'm not all that hot at the 'cross', and often only manage to solve 3 edges in inspection, and have to 'wing it' on the final one, so this case does come up for me, but not as frequently as it used to, as I've no doubt worked out some 'mitigation tactics' . )
^
Thanks for the reply PetrusQuber - i appreciate it!

So to give a bit more scope as to what i'm doing,as an example, i could be attempting to solve the cross on the bottom and i have a case where a white edge needs flipping:

View attachment 14537

So with this example - would use F, D', L, D - but two points really:

The transition from F to D' - or the mirror of that, is a bit clunky as i have to change grips, and also with D/D' movements what fingers are best to use, 3rd and 4th?

Ultimately, what i want to achieve from this is fluency in my moves so i'm not losing time transitioning from one grip to another.

Thanks for your help! :)

4th finger always I think. Plus you should check out some fingertrick videos if you need further help - but for now that case you can just do an F with thumb and D with ring finger/4th.
PS getting a speedcube will greatly improve your ability to fingertrick well - official Rubik’s Brands tend to be built for robustness and family friendliness and can be quite clunky

Want2BSub20

Thanks for the help - are there any specific finger trick videos you would recommend?

Yeah will certainly be getting a speedcube for sure!

jdh3000

Tripple Sexy From Any Angle

I'm being told elsewhere that a half rotation isn't necessary to do a triple sexy or its inverse. Just think of anywhere a tripple sexy is normally performed and so ay ir y' to see what I'm saying.

A triple sexy involves right or left side turn. To be able to do it from any other angle would involve an F or B move.

I cannot see any way this can be done quickly.

Forward and backward is the only way I can see to efficiently do a tripple sexy, if there's a way to insert from side to side I'd love to know.

Thanks!

trangium

WCA
2019TRAN10
If you get the triple sexy case on the left, I found some algorithms to solve them using RUD.
Into the back left the alg is R' U' R' D2 R U R' D2 R2.
Into the front left the alg is R U R D2 R' U' R D2 R2.
These are also 3-style commutators and can be executed very quickly. Also, they're 9 moves compared to the 11 for triple sexy, so they're almost definitely worth it.

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you get the triple sexy case on the left, I found some algorithms to solve them using RUD.
Into the back left the alg is R' U' R' D2 R U R' D2 R2.
Into the front left the alg is R U R D2 R' U' R D2 R2.
These are also 3-style commutators and can be executed very quickly. Also, they're 9 moves compared to the 11 for triple sexy, so they're almost definitely worth it.
You could just do L U' F U F' U L' for the first case. I don't think your comms are especially great for this case because lots of double moves and need to regrip at the start to make it somewhat smooth.

jdh3000

Last edited:

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
I need help with the F' fingertrick with index. I know i have to put a pinky under the S layer, but its hard to reach it and my pinky just comes back to the B layer. How do I make it stay on the S layer? It's really annoying.