• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

jdh3000

Does anyone actually think about the notation when planning and executing the cross?

For example, U R' L, B2, D, F, D2...

I've never done this but was thinks ng it might help me remember what I'm doing better so I can focus on remembering where I predicted my first f2l pair to be.

This may not be something that is continue, but just useful to get in the habit of connecting cross and f2l.

Thanks!

Last edited:

MeSub20

well, my cross is down to around 3 seconds average and I average 18 seconds, so take this with a grain of salt.

1. take however long you need at first to find and "see" the cross solution
2. just practice your cross solutions over and over again

Good luck, and happy solving!

bulkocuber

Does anyone actually think about the notation when planning and executing the cross?

For example, U R' L, B2, D, F, D2...

I've never done this but was thinks ng it might help me remember what I'm doing better so I can focus on remembering where I predicted my first f2l pair to be.

This may not be something that is continue, but just useful to get in the habit of connecting cross and f2l.

Thanks!
Thinking about the notation is bad. Instead, it's better to think about the fingertricks you'll use and now your hands will move.
And Thinking about the notation takes time: you waste time by Thinking what's the name of each move (of course this can improve over time, but it's still bad. For instance, BLD tracing+memo is slower than just tracing, always, no matter how much you practice It. This example is not really the point but I thought it was similar to what we were talking about.)

If you have trouble remembering the cross solution, just practice doing it as fast as possible, taking as long as you want to plan it.

Stock_Fish109

Hi, my main event is 3x3 and I use the CFOP speedsolving method. I was wondering after I finish cross if there is any way to get better at looking ahead to where F2L pairs will be during and after inspection, and how to look ahead to F2L pairs better. Is there a strategy or should I just practice? Ty.

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi, my main event is 3x3 and I use the CFOP speedsolving method. I was wondering after I finish cross if there is any way to get better at looking ahead to where F2L pairs will be during and after inspection, and how to look ahead to F2L pairs better. Is there a strategy or should I just practice? Ty.
Just watch some example solves that includes looking ahead to first pair, and pay attention to when they point out what they will use as their pair. Or even better, try to figure it out on your own before continuing. Then, after watching a decent amount, practice with slow solves until you are comfortable with the idea.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Practice a lot, but not at full speed. You never learn anything if you are practicing at full speed.

Also there are tons of ways of making cross+1 F2L ways. There is no specific grind to it. It is a creative effort.