• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
How exactly does that work? I've heard about it before, but I still don't really know how it works...
You basically input the algs you wanna learn in that white field thingy below, check the use virtual cube option and just hit next scramble and just solve it. Tao Yu has a whole video about it. Train yu lets you do crazy things(like learning 24-36 algs in a day).

Btw I should be thanking Ore for suggesting train yu or else this would have taken forever.

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You basically input the algs you wanna learn in that white field thingy below, check the use virtual cube option and just hit next scramble and just solve it. Tao Yu has a whole video about it. Train yu lets you do crazy things(like learning 24-36 algs in a day).

Btw I should be thanking Ore for suggesting train yu or else this would have taken forever.
Ok I'm checking it out now. How does the virtual cube transition to irl 3x3? It seems like that would not work very well...

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok I'm checking it out now. How does the virtual cube transition to irl 3x3? It seems like that would not work very well...
Yeah it usually doesn't. You still need to figure out fingertricks and drill the algs until they go into muscle memory. But the good thing about it is, it cuts your time and effort while learning algs for the first time by almost half. But after all this, I've only got 5-10 good solves with ZBLL until today.

Last edited:

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I used it to learn algs for OH since the TPS difference wouldn't be as noticeable. To me, I found it was no worse than learning on alg the normal way, since you'll still be slow at it until you use it long enough to get into you muscle memory.

kubesolver

Premium Member

I have recently had a chat with a violin player who performs solo acts at concerts. I asked if she sometimes plays regular violin in the orchestra and she said that very often. I asked how much does she have to practice before such a performance to which she replied that it depends but very often she doesn't have to practice at all. She just reads the notes once, concludes that she can play it all figuring out finger tricks on the fly.

I think if you're so good as to approach full ZBLL you should have such a rich range of fingertricks and be so confident with executing them that it doesn't matter how you memorized an alg - you should be able to plan execution while learning the alg on virtual cube and execute it well the first time you try it on a cube.

disclaimer: it's a pure speculation.

OtterCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I used it to learn algs for OH since the TPS difference wouldn't be as noticeable. To me, I found it was no worse than learning on alg the normal way, since you'll still be slow at it until you use it long enough to get into you muscle memory.
When you practice on the real cube, you also have to know how to do algs backwards to setup the case. Sometimes I can remember how my hands are moving and do this without thinking; other times I have to cheat and look at my alg sheet.

Is there any benefit to setting up cases manually (something that is automatic with the virtual cube)?

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
When you practice on the real cube, you also have to know how to do algs backwards to setup the case. Sometimes I can remember how my hands are moving and do this without thinking; other times I have to cheat and look at my alg sheet.

Is there any benefit to setting up cases manually (something that is automatic with the virtual cube)?
If you learn what case that set up solves, you basically would get two cases covered by learning one alg.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I had only brought my 8x8 along with my to campus since it was physically the biggest of my cubes (YLM 8x8 vs MJS 10x10), so after I got home I did a solve on both my 9x9 and 10x10 (and I left my 8x8 in my dorm over break). Well even if it's not the same cube, all the 8x8 cube practice that I'd done certainly payed off!

9x9 19:25 - 15:34.07
10x10 35:10 -> 19:17:36

And these are a actually a little bit faster (~10s) since my laptop went to sleep, so I had to wake it up and sign in again.

verdito

WCA
2011SCHA02
welp, looks like I broke my overall 3x3 single pb with a ridiculous lol scramble:

4.75 B2 R F D F D' L' D R2 U' F2 U R2 B2 U' L2 U' B2 F

y' x'
F D R // xCross
R' U R2 U' R2 U2 R // 2nd & 3rd Pairs
L U' L' // 4th Pair
r U R' U R U2 r' U2 // LL

4.42 TPS
21 moves is also FMC PB lol

edit:
within the hour improved to 19 moves FMC PB

U L F D' R D2 R' D2 R2 D U R F D' F D F2 U' R2 (19)

Last edited:

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm Back!!!

Generated By csTimer on 2021-12-27
avg of 5: 9.97

Time List:
1. 9.81 B2 D B2 D U R2 U' R2 F2 L2 F' U2 B L F U2 F' U2 R U2
2. (9.23) L2 F2 D2 R2 U2 R2 B D2 R2 F U2 R2 U' R' B' R B U' R
3. (11.01) R' F' R' D2 B2 D2 B2 R D2 L' B2 F2 D B2 R F U' L B2
4. 10.50 L' U' L U' F' D L' F L' B2 U2 F2 D2 L2 U2 R U2 R' D2 U'
5. 9.60 R2 U2 B2 D2 F' R2 F2 U2 L2 U2 B' L2 R' F2 U' B2 R F' U' R2 B2

Also 7.26 Single, 10.69 Ao12, 11.27 Ao50, 11.48 ao100, 11.70 Ao250 and 11.92 Ao1K.

RS3M 2020

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11

First sub-2:00 single on Megaminx!

The Dayan makes Megamix so enjoyable, I think it's now my favorite event over 6x6.

LL was really lucky, EO1 to CO7 finishing with a Ua-perm.