• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Thanks ! About the 3x3 part, I average ~16s on the 3x3 but it takes me between 35s and 45s to do the same on the 5x5. I still have some recognition problem for some OLLs on bigcubes.
Another thing I noticed, when I started "serious" training for the 4x4 and 5x5 3 weeks ago, I first did one week of 4x4 and then one week of 5x5. During theses weeks, my times really dropped. Now I switch every day between 4x4 and 5x5 and it seems that my times doesn't drop anymore.
Do you think I should keep the same cube size for a week before switching to the other ?
You should scramble a 5x5 using 3x3 scrambles, and practice that. An avg. of 12 or even an avg. 50 would help a lot. If you avg. 16 on a regular and it takes you 35-45, you can easily cut 10-15 seconds off that.

As for what cube, I'm not sure. I don't practice as much now as I used to, but I used to do avg's on 4x4, and then go straight to 5x5 after, and my times continually dropped. Although you will get stuck as different times. Keep practicing and you'll get through it.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Thanks ! About the 3x3 part, I average ~16s on the 3x3 but it takes me between 35s and 45s to do the same on the 5x5. I still have some recognition problem for some OLLs on bigcubes.
Another thing I noticed, when I started "serious" training for the 4x4 and 5x5 3 weeks ago, I first did one week of 4x4 and then one week of 5x5. During theses weeks, my times really dropped. Now I switch every day between 4x4 and 5x5 and it seems that my times doesn't drop anymore.
Do you think I should keep the same cube size for a week before switching to the other ?
You should scramble a 5x5 using 3x3 scrambles, and practice that. An avg. of 12 or even an avg. 50 would help a lot. If you avg. 16 on a regular and it takes you 35-45, you can easily cut 10-15 seconds off that.

As for what cube to practice, I'm not sure. I don't practice as much now as I used to, but I used to do avg's on 4x4, and then go straight to 5x5 after, and my times continually dropped. Although you will get stuck as different times. Keep practicing and you'll get through it.

CRO

Try practicing different stages of solve seperately sometimes. Do an average for centers only, or for centeres + edges. Also do some 3x3 on 5x5.

Chrisalead

YouTube
Visit Channel
I already trained myself a few times for the 3x3 part on the 5x5 and on the 4x4. But you're right, I should do it more often. Starting on next monday I will train on the 5x5 for the whole week end then switch between 4x4 and 5x5 each week to see if that makes a difference.

sukesh12

WCA
2011SUBA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
This may sound silly but it makes some sense.Chrislead if you use a Vcube5 Then try modifying it.Otherwise get a Sheng Shou 5x5 ora Ghosthand one.The ones I listed are the best 5x5s in the market.If you change the cube may be ~15 seconds will drop from you current averages of 5s and 12s.

seth5124

5x5 speedsolving edges

I've been getting into 5x5 solving lately, but my times are still around 6-7 minutes, and i know the bulk of where i need to improve is in my edge pairing, i use a method where i solve one edge, and immediately fix the centers ive disturbed. but whenever i see someone solving a 5x5 and get a good time they solve multiple edges without fixing the centers, or at least not replacing the 1x3 blocks they create. whenever i try this i end up completely screwing up my centers. could anyone explain this method or direct me somewhere that can explain this to me?

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Like pjk said above me, checkout bigcubes.com. The method is indeed called freeslice and it's definitely the way you want to go. Keep practising and you'll get the hang of it. Good luck!

seth5124

Thanks guys! i finally figured it out after a couple of hours of "I have no idea what i'm doing!!" but i got it down, enough to consistently practice.

Schmidt

WCA
2012SCHM07
@ messing up centers:
If the next edge piece you need is in the U layer of the R side, you can't just do an R' to put it in place! You have to do something like U R U' R' instead to not mess up centers (if the centers are solved/un-sliced this rule don't apply.)

elliotsherrow

WCA
2013SHER01
Need 5x5 help

I'd say 5x5 is one of my worst events. I'm averaging around 3:45 and I just don't know how to improve that. I am using an unmodded unlubed v cube, so it's not the best. When I have paired a tredge, i have it in the FR slot and as i move it to the top with an unsolved tredge i look at my center edge in the LF location and replace the solved tredge with a color that coresponds with the center edge in the LF. then i fill up the U layer, then do a z2 and keep going at the edges. that's about as tricky as my edge pairing on my 5x5 gets.
I can't find any advice that is that great. I've tried yau but i don't like it on the 5x5 since my centers are solved a lot slower, same with the final 4 edges, and all for just a solved cross, which only takes me about 5 seconds on the 5x5 anywho. i like to do all that stuff care free. however yau is great on the 4x4.
I don't believe my 3x3 times are holding me back by that much. i average about 19 seconds of 50 solves on the 3x3, so on the 5x5 i'm guessing it's around 30 seconds.

manstrong

But assuming that you might, for example, have an unlubed v-cube what might you suggest to lube/sandpaper it?

I'm willing to search for methods on my own, but what is the most popular/best decision?

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
But assuming that you might, for example, have an unlubed v-cube what might you suggest to lube/sandpaper it?

I'm willing to search for methods on my own, but what is the most popular/best decision?

There is a mod, I believe, although I'm not exactly sure what it does. The best thing you can do is use plenty of lube and play with it a lot. Breaking it in will take time, but it will become amazing eventually.

BoBoGuy

5x5 tredges help

OK, for 5x5 edges I use the freeslice method. I'm okay at it, but my lookahead and last 4 tredges sucks. I use a shengshou 5x5. How do I look ahead for building the first 8 tredges? I just intuitively do the last four edges without any routine.