• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
WCA
2012BASK02
How to get faster on 5x5?

I've been doing 5x5 for about two weeks only, and my times have been a steady 5:45 or so. I know practice will definitely make me better, but are there any other techniques I could learn to make me faster? (other than adv. edge pairing and adv. centers, which I already use)

WCA
2012BASK02
Sorry about my noobiness. what's a split? or do you mean how long does it take for me to do each of those steps?

if thats what you mean then my approximate time for centers is about 1:30, and I will go time my other ones.

my time for first 8 edges is about 2:20

Last edited:

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can't think of anything particular that would help, other than maybe practising centres a lot. You really just need to get used to solving the puzzle, which will come with a lot of practise.

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
Practice 6x6 and 7x7, and your turning on 5x5 will become much smoother. The 5x5 will feel comparatively small and easy to hold and to turn after bigger cubes. But at your speed, I think just practicing 5x5 will shave another 2:00 off your times pretty fast. Practicing for 2 weeks isn't very long.

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
Any tips on how to practice? like what things I should do when I solve to strengthen some skills?
During inspection, plan out an entire 2x3 block of your first center, and get an idea of where the other 3 pieces will be after that. You can pretty much see your entire first center during inspection if you're really good.

For centers, learn how to do the middle 1x3, then another 1x3, then the last 1x3. Also learn making a 2x2 center block, then a 2x3, and then the last 1x3. Also learn making a T shape into a 2x3. For edges, just look ahead, and predict when you'll have to do z2 so that there isn't a pause before flipping the cube over.

Here's a video by Kevin Hays, who is second in the world at 5x5, with a bunch of tips and tricks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-hx5j0IPz0

RageCuber

WCA
2014RYAN03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Im only like 1:30 faster than you, but make sure your using free-slice and not beginners method.
You only need the basic concept of free-slice, its mostly intuitive so using it as a method will make it worse.
what cube do you use?
EDIT - if it takes too long to use real scrambles just hand scramble, which will help you practice faster.

Last edited:
WCA
2012BASK02
Im only like 1:30 faster than you, but make sure your using free-slice and not beginners method.
You only need the basic concept of free-slice, its mostly intuitive so using it as a method will make it worse.
what cube do you use?
EDIT - if it takes too long to use real scrambles just hand scramble, which will help you practice faster.
I have an SS 5x5.

EDIT: found out what freeslice is... can't believe I didn't see that myself

Last edited:
WCA
2013ZWER01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just practice.

I was the same as you.

After just a little bit of practice (I still never practice 5x5 now)

I average 3:10.

If I really practiced, I could be sub 2:45/2:30

That's getting off topic.

Just practice.

I know people hate hearing that.

But its true.

cfop01

Help with 5x5

At the moment it takes me about 2mins on centers 5mins on edges and 1min on the 3x3 solve. What are some tips and/or tricks for all these steps? It takes me about 30 seconds to solve a 3x3 so what can I do to control the bigger cube?

Any tips or tricks are appreciated :)

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
At the speed you are currently at any amount of practice will help.

Here's a great video that you may want to rewatch down the line to get more from it the 2nd time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would recommend look at example solves, especially for centers. For 3x3, since you can't have the TPS that you would on a 3x3, try to maximize look ahead as much as possible. For edge pairing, you should always be looking for your next pair, while you are solving, look for an edge that is already partially matched up and try to preserve it. Also try to be color neutral for centers, it is much easier than being color neutral for 3x3 and will definitely help for your first two centers, you should also be able to plan out your entire first center, or at least two bars of it in insoection. Check out Cyoubx's tutorial on how to be sub 2:00 on 5x5, it is a little more advanced, but will still help.

cashis

it is much easier than being color neutral for 3x3

Color neutrality for 3x3 helps me a lot on 3x3 stage because as soon as you're done with edges, you can start cross from any angle almost immediately (assuming you use CFOP)

cspurli2

How to solve the last 2 centers of a 5x5?

When i start to put all the centers together i can get to the last 2. i have them next to each other and thats how they had it in the video i was watching. i can get it down to just two pieces diagonal from each other on the two sides that are not solved. Can someone please help?

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
When i start to put all the centers together i can get to the last 2. i have them next to each other and thats how they had it in the video i was watching. i can get it down to just two pieces diagonal from each other on the two sides that are not solved. Can someone please help?
Assuming you mean you hold it with 2 centers, one on the front face and one on the up face, and you have to just solve the corner of both centers, then line it up so the unsolved corner is on the top right of the front face, and the bottom right of the up face, then just do the simple commutator Rw U Rw' U Rw U2 Rw

TannerZ

5x5x5 Layer by Layer

I am fairly new at cubing. I can solve the 2x2, 3x3, axis cube, pyraminx, and axis cube. I have a 5x5x5 that I am solving, and like the layer by layer method (I know this is not a conventional way of solving it, but I like it). however there are some situations that I run into on the last layer that I don't know how to fix. If anyone could help me with some algorithms, I would greatly appreciate it!

Top View
(The O's are in the right spot, just oriented wrong)
xxOxx
xxxxx
xxxxO
xxxxx
xxxxx

Top View
(1 goes to 2, 2 goes to 3, 3 goes to 1. 1 and 2 do not have the correct face up, but 3 does)
xxxxx
xxxxx
xxxxx
xxxx1
x3x2x

Top View
(R:needs to be moved to right edge, T needs to be moved to the top edge, B - Bottom edge)
xxxRx
xxxxB
xxxxx
RxxxT
xxxLx

Thanks for any and all help!!!