• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Chinmay47

Yeah, its a bit wacky when you first try it, but its really helpful, for me at least!
I just did an example solve with the tip that you suggested, and seriously! I came down from 44.27 to 24.74! Thanks buddy! Will improve the same in the future

Hello, I'm new to cubing.

I know that there is this algorithm which swaps two cross pieces adjacent to each other (M2 U2 M2 or D2 U2 M2), but my question is: Is there an algorithm which can do a similar thing by swapping the cross edges which are next to each other? If not, then what are the alternative solutions that I could try? Here's an example of what I mean:

Inked20201228_123028_LI.jpg

(The 2 at the back are obviously already solved)

P.S Sorry if this is a stupid post, I'm new to cubing.

WCA
2019VENK09
YouTube
Visit Channel

I know that there is this algorithm which swaps two cross pieces adjacent to each other (M2 U2 M2 or D2 U2 M2), but my question is: Is there an algorithm which can do a similar thing by swapping the cross edges which are next to each other? If not, then what are the alternative solutions that I could try? Here's an example of what I mean:

View attachment 14359

You can keep the edges that need to be swapped in your left and right and do this algorithm.
R' D R D' R'
That's it! Hope it helped you :D
Also, your question is not stupid because I had the same question when I was a beginner too :p

View attachment 14359

Also, change the thread's name from how to swap corners to how to swap edges

You can keep the edges that need to be swapped in your left and right and do this algorithm.
R' D R D' R'
That's it! Hope it helped you :D
Also, your question is not stupid because I had the same question when I was a beginner too :p
Thank you!

Are you solving the cross directly or just placing the "white" pieces and correcting them afterwards?
Hi, I'm doing the white pieces first since I find it easier than doing the whole thing at the same time, then I correct it. I can't do an advanced cross yet and also I started doing it on the bottom today, the cross is my BIGGEST weakness.

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi, I'm doing the white pieces first since I find it easier than doing the whole thing at the same time, then I correct it. I can't do an advanced cross yet and also I started doing it on the bottom today, the cross is my BIGGEST weakness.
My friend does this too but she solves on the top.

this video is very clarifying:

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
you should learn to solve on any color cross as soon as possible, as later on as you get faster you will really thank yourself. Being able to do multiple colors cross makes you 6x luckier. You dont have to do it though.

Andytu!

Hello everyone greeting:
It’s been a while since this amateur posted his embarrassing comments about complete the White Cross in 8 moves or less, just to be clear:

A simple beginner question that haunts me for months :

We all know that the basic White Cross for a newbie is doing the Daisy move:

Just asking : to turn the faces into to position, yo read RR, LL, FF, BB or R2, L2, F2 B2?

Thank you again, pretty much appreciate, please stay safe & health!

God loves you 3247

~ Andytu

rubik2005

Hello everyone greeting:
It’s been a while since this amateur posted his embarrassing comments about complete the White Cross in 8 moves or less, just to be clear:

Just asking : to turn the faces into to position, yo read RR, LL, FF, BB or R2, L2, F2 B2?

God loves you 3247

~ Andytu
We use R2, L2,.... to say it is a double turn, and R', L',... to indicate this a counter-clockwise turn.

Hello everyone greeting:

God loves you 3247

~ Andytu
Greetings,

While R R, L L, F F and B B are not incorrect, we mostly write them R2, L2, F2, B2. This way, it is easier to write, and is more representative of the speed of each move, since you're only turning a single face.

WarriorCatCuber

Vcuber6

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey everyone,
So recently I was practicing my cross efficiency on https://christianvaughn.net/C2F2L/# with the level at 7 moves so that I can be sub-20 soon and I found a scramble that I can't solve in 8 moves or less. It's one of those scrambles where most of the cross pieces are flipped on the D layer. Can someone figure out a 7 or 8 move solution for it and if possible what are some general tips for flipped cross piece cases like this one?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-26 191142.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-26 191142.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 3

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey everyone,

Recently I started wondering about patterns of distributions of crosses, which lead me to the title question. For a given scramble, there is usually a color or set of colors that has the lowest move count to solve the cross. There is a (rather large but) finite amount of ways to scramble a 3x3, and since the WCA uses a fixed scramble orientation, I'm wondering if statistically, out of all those scrambles, is there a side that has more move count optimal crosses than all the others? If so, that color would technically be the best cross to use if someone was going to use a single color for their cross. Furthermore, that leads to another question of how much of a difference is there between the best color and the next best?

I personally suspect that there would be a technically best color, but I don't think there would be a huge difference between the best and second best colors, but that is all just my speculation.

I looked around and I didn't see any information on the topic, but it's definitely possible I missed something. If so, please post a reply with a link.

Overall, it's not a super important topic, but I thought it would be interesting nonetheless.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
No orientation has any advantage. 3x3 scrambles are done with a random-state scrambler, which means all 43 quintillion+ cases are equally likely, regardless of scrambling orientation. I would be curious to see which cross is best on the official scrambles that have been seen so far, but this would not serve as a predictor for future scrambles. (This assumes that you trust TNoodle to be sufficiently random, but the code is open source if you're curious to check out how the randomness actually works!)