• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't bother with PLL yet, if you know F2L and average 2:00 just do a lot of solves using F2L. F2L makes up a much bigger amount of your solve(I don't know your slipts but it is not unreasonable to think it takes up ~80% of the solve). The pontenial gain from F2L for you is far greater than learning full PLL. Focus on F2L watch videos. Also don't solve one cross piece at a time. Look at reconstrutions too.

When doing cross look for all four edges. Watch where they go after solving on edge. This show help, you should always do cross in less than 7 moves (I think) eventually. Consider being colour neutral(the slower you are the easier the switch). Look at reconstructions at cubesolv.es too(this can help you a lot a any speed).

Last layer is still imprtant but not until the 30 second range even wait until you are going for sub 20.

Zoggy_Cuber

A Relatively Remote Location With Few Comps
Don't bother with PLL yet, if you know F2L and average 2:00 just do a lot of solves using F2L.

I agree 100% with this. If you are averaging 2:00 the best way to decrease your times the most is to improve F2L. At this point, especially if you are doing intuitive style F2L and the solutions you are using may not be as efficiant as possible.

Despite everyone saying how important intuitive F2L is, you may want to look into some quick algorithms for the more ugly cases. I would suggest going on YouTube and looking at some walkthrough solves of other cubers because it is a great way to learn more efficient solution no matter your speed.

Most importantly, just keep practicing and you will see your times decrease until you are faster with F2L than you are with Beginner's. I can relate completely, because it took me a while to get my times with F2L lower than my beginner's method times. Just don't give up and remember that you will get there with practice.

WCA
2016JERO01
I am averaging 10-12 seconds in 3x3 with CFOP, but what makes me average is my weaknesses in cross, I am fine on F2L and LL, but I need work on cross sometimes, how can I make my 3x3 cross better and efficient for this level of a speedcuber?

jdh3000

Does anyone pickout opposites first when making a cross?
For me it's easier to pair opposites, then the one to the right or left, then I see the 4th one.
I definitely try to combine any moves to plaxe two pieces with one shot.

In opposites, I also see what's on the other side of the cube by knowing my opposites. If I see orange I immediately think red and do a back insert.

Nozzie9

So recently I got back into cubing after not cubing for over a year and earlier I hit my pb of 16.07, i generally average about 23-25 seconds and I've realised that a lot of my time in solves is solving the cross (which i don't think it should be considering that I'm only solving 4 pieces) and I just cannot seem to get better at solving my cross, any tips/tutorials you guys could give me?

Electrical

My biggest weakness right now is the cross. I need help getting better at my cross because it's only thing holding me back from becoming sub-20.

I did an ao12 for cross only if it helps.

cc2432e5ecddc061132bc4c26ff06ee7.png

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
My biggest weakness right now is the cross. I need help getting better at my cross because it's only thing holding me back from becoming sub-20.

I did an ao12 for cross only if it helps.

View attachment 10696
Posting your times only won’t help. You should add a video of you doing the cross so others can point out what you can do better.

Ps: I am about the same time as you, so sorry can’t help.

Lapse.

WCA
2016WYNG01
I think you should improve on your f2l though, because sub-10 f2l with 2 look oll and pll can easily get you sub20s all day.
The general accepted standard for a good cross is under 7-9 moves for every cross solution, and you can basically one-look it. Try to solve more pieces at once, and you don't need to solve cross pieces in their correct places, you can place them relative to each other to correct all of them. You could try unlimited inspection to plan out the best cross you possibly can, and reduce the time needed to do so. Not every cross solution will be good, just find one that works.

and dont forget that first f2l pair as well

Lapse.

WCA
2016WYNG01
Another side note, my cross is actually terrible, you've reminded me to do an ao100 of cross right now. Still maintaining my point that cross is equally important as f2l, but f2l affects your times more than cross would. Cross is the starting point of your solve, so you may be psyched to get a bad time because of your cross. You could purposely select bad cross colours to practice your creativity in cross solutions, that's something ive thought of.

aerocube

some things to remember
-cross should always be done in 8 moves or less
-good fingertrickable 8 move soluton > bad fingertrickable 6 move solution
also try practicing blindfolded cross is you're having trouble planning it all out in inspection

MarkA64

Memorizing cross solution 100% of the time (3x3)
Seems like this is the #1 thing that's going to help me get faster than I am currently (21 avg), since if you memorize your cross during inspection, you can track your first F2L pair and more...

Definitely not easy to always do it, though.

I want to hear from cubers who have a lot of experience with this. What advice or resources do you have for us trying to master this?

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well try just doing for the next 500 solves or so planning your entire cross and making sure to look away from the cross pieces whilst doing so, you don't necessarily have to make sure to look away from them but don't look at them for help. Also whenever just casually cubing just close your eyes while your doing your cross. Also try to not think in your head of the moves like R D' R U' D, jut think about what your hands are going to do. Make sure you are using finger-trick friendly cross solutions, (no back turns or rotations.) I did (and still do) most of these things when i was getting sub 10.
Hope this helps!