• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

DEViance777

Get better at the CROSS

So I stopped cubing for a year as I had my 10th standard preparations going on.I used CFOP back then but I sucked at making the cross,It would take me at least 10-12 seconds to make one even after seeing all advanced cross videos including Badmephisto's.Please suggest some ways to improve or I will have to change my method.Thank You.

Isaac VM

WCA
2016MUNO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Get better at the CROSS

This is how I improved my cross.

-choose two of the cross pieces and solve them blindly, then solve the other two blindly.

-choose three of the cross pieces, solve two of them blindly and predict the position of the third, again solve the remaining two blindly.

-Solve three cross pieces blindly and predict the fourth.

-solve the cross blindly

For speed think for fingertricky crosses.

Hope it helps

DEViance777

This is how I improved my cross.

-choose two of the cross pieces and solve them blindly, then solve the other two blindly.

-choose three of the cross pieces, solve two of them blindly and predict the position of the third, again solve the remaining two blindly.

-Solve three cross pieces blindly and predict the fourth.

-solve the cross blindly

For speed think for fingertricky crosses.

Hope it helps

That is a good idea but it would be a little ambiguous and tricky for me.

Superlaser

How to make cross faster

Hi! Im having problems with making the cross - it usually takes me 10+ moves to make and about 8 seconds :/ I know it can be made faster but I can't find a good tutorial. Any tips on making it?

Start planning it out, practice it so you can actually do it blind folded. You don't have to connect the white-edge to the center, you only need to put it down so at the end You can just do D. Ik this sounds confusing :p

PurpleBanana

I've been practicing my cross by looking at the cube for as long as necessary, writing out the cross solution (because I can't remember the whole sequence of moves yet, although that's obviously what I'm practicing to be able to do), and then executing after I have the whole solution written down. Is this a good way to practice it? Is there something else I should be doing?

Reactions: KiT

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been practicing my cross by looking at the cube for as long as necessary, writing out the cross solution (because I can't remember the whole sequence of moves yet, although that's obviously what I'm practicing to be able to do), and then executing after I have the whole solution written down. Is this a good way to practice it? Is there something else I should be doing?

I'd try without writing it down. You won't be able to do it at first, but it's something that you'll need to learn, and it just comes with (like everything else) practice.

PurpleBanana

I'd try without writing it down. You won't be able to do it at first, but it's something that you'll need to learn, and it just comes with (like everything else) practice.
So should I just try to memorize the moves for as many pieces as possible? I can actually memorize the whole cross solution about half the time (usually when I have an edge already in place) and in the majority of the other cases I can memorize the solution to three of the pieces but can't figure out where the fourth one ends up.

thatskden

I've attempted to create a cross in my mind before executing it but I always seem to have missed something and an edge isn't put in correctly (white sticker on the red side etc) and I can't seem to figure out how to practice. What is the best way to practice cross and get it quicker? Thanks for all replies :)

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Plan the cross then solve with eyes closed. If it's too hard, start with three edges. Keep trying - it's not supposed to be easy, and takes lots of practice.

thatskden

Plan the cross then solve with eyes closed. If it's too hard, start with three edges. Keep trying - it's not supposed to be easy, and takes lots of practice.
That sounds like a good idea, thanks man! (My name is also Mark) B)

RennuR

Just going to add this here, some people earlier in this thread were doing this test, and this can actually really help you to see where you are at according to your spatial intelligence, this test actually gets you to think in many different ways.

Spatial IQ Test

Bolage

I am just at sub 40 at the 3x3, BUT im wondering if my cross is good? It takes me about 7-12 seconds just for the cross is that usual since i am just sub 40? I do complete the cross in 10 moves or less usually..... But still im slow at cross any tips anyone?

Bolage

up to 15 seconds and i can only plan out like 2 pieces... Then take time looking around for the other 2 pieces,

ChaoticCubing

so, i've been trying to practice cross So that I can cut my times down, but I'm not getting any better. It's hard not to solve white on top then rotate, what should I do?

VenomCubing

WCA
2017MORT01
Go to cs timer and use the solve cross tool. It solves a highly efficient cross on the bottom everytime. Pay attention to the techniques it uses. Also, force yourself to do cross on the bottom. You won't get better at cross on the bottom if you just give up and do it on the top.

Tom Joad

Random rumination of a 21 second solver:

1. Always finish your scramble with one white piece touching the white centre, so you already have one cross piece solved. So now you only have to solve three pieces to complete the cross.

50% of random scrambles will be like this anyway. You can do this for a few years if you like. In fact you can do this forever, because you'll become so good at it, the other 50% of cases will soon be just as easy anyway (just involving one extra move)

This helps a huge amount at first because it orientates the cube for you giving you a reference for exactly where the other three pieces need to go.

De nada

greendanpark

I know how to do cross and F2L, but My F2L is pretty slow and my cross is slow too. I can do Cross Oll and Im Learning PLL. How can I make my cross and F2L faster? I currently have about a 2:00 average due to the fact that I haven't memorized all the PLL algs yet. With Beginner Method I can average about 1 minute. I currently insert one cross piece at a time and it takes me a long time to make the find and make the F2L pairs.