• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Xcross Tips and Discussion

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's a great resource, Chris, thanks!

I'm intrigued by this notion of direct-solving. There was a time when I couldn't track all 4 cross pieces, and now I can. It should be possible to work my way up to six...are you having success with this?

Glad you like the site, and hope it's helpful! To be honest I only direct solve part of the time. Since writing that page I have come to redefine Xcross as any of the following:

I consider Xcross to be either:
1) seeing the direct solve to the Xcross during inspection
2) seeing the solve for the 2x2x2 and one other cross edge during inspection, with intention to locate and place the 4th cross edge during the solving phase.
3) seeing the solve for the 2x2x2 during inspection while making sure that the solution for the 2x2x2 puts the other 2 cross edges in a "good" position. A good position means easy to solve in relatively few moves.
4) Seeing the solve for the cross during inspection that either builds or preserves a c/e pair. For these solves you usually know how to place the pair during inspection as well.
5) Seeing the solve for the cross and one corner during inspection, with intention to locate and place the F2L edge during the solving phase using keyhole.
6) Seeing the solve for the cross and one F2L edge during inspection, with intention to locate and place the corresponding corner during the solving phase using keyhole.

So, to me, Xcross is only direct solved in 1 out of 6 different scenarios. I would say that considering Xcross to be any of the 6 scenarios above, that I start my solve with an Xcross about 40% of the time solving using the best of either white or yellow as my cross color.

Direct solve is not always possible for Xcross, but those solves tend to be the fastest Xcross solves.

Also, don't expect to solve with cross on every solve. I've done TONS of practice on how to spot an Xcross solve, and even then I don't always do them. Sometimes, even though I see an Xcross solve, I won't do it because the turns are too slow/awkward. It all depends on whether you feel it will speed up your solve or not.

Chris

sergei740

Should I use x-cross?

I average about 35 seconds with my 3.3
I was wondering if i should learn the x-cross
Do the top level cubers like Feliks Zemdegs use it? Is it worth it?
I usually get differing answers.
Thanks

JasonDL13

WCA
2014LEWI02
I might be wrong, but this my opinion:

X-crosses probably wont help you that much at 35 seconds. If you sub 20 it might be worth it.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The way you ask that question makes the answer pretty safely "no"

You don't "use x-cross" and there is no method for learning x-cross (just tips/tricks, experience and look-ahead).
Top level cubers often can see more than just the cross during inspection and that is worth it for them. But this isn't something that will quickly shave 5 seconds of your time

Smiles

YouTube
Visit Channel
I hope I can give you a useful answer:
x-cross isn't something you use as part of your method. It's just that during the cross step in CFOP you have so much freedom with the cube that sometimes it can save you a few moves to finish your first pair while doing the cross. This is only when it's apparent that it can be done, and should not be forced. Therefore, the more experienced you are, the more likely you'll use make an x-cross for any given solve. However, you should not use it on every solve because that would be forcing it.
When in doubt, don't do it.

But if you're not timing yourself, you can experiment a bit if you see an easy first pair and you wanna do x-cross. In general it's a useful skill to have anyway.

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Alright, I do lots of Xcross related stuff so I'll pitch in my 2cents. Basically, Xcross is not a method. It is not something I do on every solve. If I did it on every solve, I would waste more time than doing f2l normally. I do them when I see either solved corners or solved edges that I can use to build blocks. Since I plan my entire cross in all of two-five seconds, I can spend he rest of the time looking for ways to either make an xcross or find my first pair. So to answer your original question, no. Don't worry about it for now.

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
Adding to what Kennan said about solved corners and edges, learn about the keyhole method if you haven't already. Building Xcrosses usually involves doing a single F2L pair using a keyhole insert if you have a solved edge or a solved corner already and you only need one piece to make an Xcross.

At your speed, it won't make you much faster, but by all means learn about it sooner rather than later. It's a good investment.

Last edited:

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Gonna pitch in and say that every cuber, at any level, should play around with whatever sounds cool to them. Try building a 2x2x2 block (like in the Petrus method), then add the other two cross pieces and finish f2l. It's fun! Eventually you'll be able to incorporate it into your speedsolving. If you want to improve quickly, turn your practise into play, and don't be afraid to ask questions and try new things, even if you still have much to learn with what you already do.

brian724080

And it is called X-cross as "eXtended cross" (by an F2L pair).
cross + 2 F2L pairs = XX-cross, and cross + 3 F2L pairs = XXX-cross.

and cross + 4 F2L pairs = XXXX-cross (see my link in signature that has to do with F2L and OLL skips)