• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What events should be removed from the WCA events list?

• Clock

Votes: 128 46.9%
  • 7x7

Votes: 29 10.6%
  • 3x3 with feet

Votes: 103 37.7%
  • FMC

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Multiblind

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Pyraminx

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Skewb

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • Square-1

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • 3x3 OH

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • None of these

Votes: 104 38.1%

• Total voters

ari(a cuber)

WCA
2019BONN04
If I had to remove one I would pick 2x2, but I don't think any should be removed.
2x2 is amazing, here are a few reasons why. number one, the event itself is fast and goes by quickly. number 2, its hardware is so great. number 3, almost every 2x2 is good and they are all pretty cheap. number 4, its easy to learn and easy to get fast at

Etotheipi

2x2 is amazing, here are a few reasons why. number one, the event itself is fast and goes by quickly. number 2, its hardware is so great. number 3, almost every 2x2 is good and they are all pretty cheap. number 4, its easy to learn and easy to get fast at
the solves rarely have any variation, theres hardly any intuition, and to get really fast its just alg spam, turn speed, and prediction. I don't think its very interesting. This is just my opinion though.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I mean, how would you know for sure if you haven’t even tried it? That’s what I’m saying.
What I'm saying is "seems gross" is a legit reason to not try something. Those that say it "seems gross" don't HAVE to get over it. They don't have to defend their thinking.

Note that I'm not saying "seems gross" is a valid argument for removal of feet from the WCA, just that it's a valid reason for not trying it.

GAN 356 X

I can understand why you think 2x2 should be removed, but I think it should be kept for a while longer because it is a good introduction to other NxNs other than 3x3. It also is a pretty simple event, which makes it pretty easy to get good at. This reason could support both sides of the argument, as it is still pretty luck based (at least for singles). I think the WCA will have to remove the event in say 5-10 years once world records get more and more crazy.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I can understand why you think 2x2 should be removed, but I think it should be kept for a while longer because it is a good introduction to other NxNs other than 3x3. It also is a pretty simple event, which makes it pretty easy to get good at. This reason could support both sides of the argument, as it is still pretty luck based (at least for singles). I think the WCA will have to remove the event in say 5-10 years once world records get more and more crazy.

I’ve heard it argued that as records drop and get harder to beat winning titles will be more coveted, and I think we’re already seeing that. As that happens it makes sense to me that the finals at least of major championships will have more solves. 6x6 and 7x7 should move to Ao5 format (only for finals, probably only for championship finals). Fast events like 2x2, pyraminx, Skewb, square-1, clock, and possibly 3x3 and OH should move to Ao12 format. If events had to be removed I would favor some of the quicker, more luck-based events like 2x2 and Skewb, but I think adding solves to finals is a better solution.

GAN 356 X

I’ve heard it argued that as records drop and get harder to beat winning titles will be more coveted, and I think we’re already seeing that. As that happens it makes sense to me that the finals at least of major championships will have more solves. 6x6 and 7x7 should move to Ao5 format (only for finals, probably only for championship finals). Fast events like 2x2, pyraminx, Skewb, square-1, clock, and possibly 3x3 and OH should move to Ao12 format. If events had to be removed I would favor some of the quicker, more luck-based events like 2x2 and Skewb, but I think adding solves to finals is a better solution.
Yes, I agree. This should be implemented in other relatively larger competitions 150 people +. I think It would make the ground fairer, as it will make the averages more accurate compared to over 5 solves

Etotheipi

i didn't say I wanted it removed, just that if I had to remove an event, it would be 2x2.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Just for fun...

Imagine that 3x3 is the 100-meter sprint of the cubing world. Now imagine that OH is the 100-meter hop, 'feet' is the 100-meter handstand and blind is the 100-meter... blind, and ask yourself the following questions:

Which of those events, if any, seems less like a sporting activity and more like a gimmick?
Which of those events, if any, seems like it could damage the credibility of the governing body that supports it?
Which of those events, if any, seems like it should probably be relegated to late-night TV spectacle and not featured in a major sporting event?
Which of those events, if any, should only be done by those who are physically unable to compete in the traditional 100-meter sprint?

Again, just for fun...

Perhaps better comparisons would be if 3x3 is the 100 meter dash, then OH is the 200 meter dash and Feet is Steeplechase. All good events, none run any reasonable chance of discrediting their governing body, and they each add something different to the sport. It’s just a little harder to tell what OH/200 meter dash add.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Perhaps better comparisons would be if 3x3 is the 100 meter dash, then OH is the 200 meter dash and Feet is Steeplechase. All good events, none run any reasonable chance of discrediting their governing body, and they each add something different to the sport. It’s just a little harder to tell what OH/200 meter dash add.
I mean, coming from somebody who is in track, there are people (especially Olympians) who specialize in just 1 event (although, they do compete in others). This is the same as cubing. Somebody's main event might be 4x4, but they also compete in 2x2-7x7. As far as what they add, it just adds variety for people to choose from. This helps cubing grow because people will choose events that appeal to them. It's just like if the mile was the only event in track, it would be no fun.

Last edited:

carcass

WCA
2018HANC03
Clock should NOT be removed. Just because it doesn't fit in with the other events doesn't mean that it should be removed. Every event is supposed to bring something special to the table, and clock does that with a non-algorithmic way of solving it. Also, saying that it should be removed just because it isn't really a twisty puzzle is the same thought process behind racism. Now OBVIOUSLY people who don't like clock aren't bad people in the least, it is just a bad philosophy.

brododragon

Clock should NOT be removed. Just because it doesn't fit in with the other events doesn't mean that it should be removed. Every event is supposed to bring something special to the table, and clock does that with a non-algorithmic way of solving it. Also, saying that it should be removed just because it isn't really a twisty puzzle is the same thought process behind racism. Now OBVIOUSLY people who don't like clock aren't bad people in the least, it is just a bad philosophy.
So, to sum it up, hating clock = racism?

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Comparing a belief that clock should be removed from the event list to racism is too far, and honestly a bit of a non sequitur. The rest of your argument is fine.