• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What events should be removed from the WCA events list?

• Clock

Votes: 128 46.9%
  • 7x7

Votes: 29 10.6%
  • 3x3 with feet

Votes: 103 37.7%
  • FMC

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Multiblind

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Pyraminx

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Skewb

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • Square-1

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • 3x3 OH

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • None of these

Votes: 104 38.1%

• Total voters

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Please explain why top cubers like Feliks Zemdegs and Max park endorse them.
The most probable explanation is that Gan 3x3s are actually the best on the market, by a very small margin. The cube might make the difference between a 6 second average and a 5.8 second average, so for people like Feliks and Max that matters. For anybody else it’s just throwing money away. Feliks and Max are highly coveted by cube advertisers, and never have to pay for speedcubes, precisely because people want to use the same cubes used by the best. It’s all marketing.

Hazel

Premium Member
But then there's clock... It doesn't seem to get much love or innovation and it has been a WCA event for a number of years now. I get the impression that to some people it's a joke and this has put me off buying one... and I would kind of like to buy one.

Similarly, folks seem to be down on Skewb despite it's WCA status and the wealth of hardware available and, as you said, curvy copter is popular despite the dearth of good puzzles and lack of WCA support.

I just find it puzzling (no pun intended).
A lot of people still very much enjoy Clock, myself included. If it wasn't a WCA event, I doubt anybody would still practice it. The reason there isn't innovation for clock is because well... there's not much to innovate on because it's such a simple puzzle.
As for Skewb, that's because it's one of the events that is down to luck at this point, and with Clock, it doesn't seem like there's anything left to innovate on.
What I meant by what I said about Curvy Copter is that nobody has really paid it much attention until it becoming an official event became in the realm of possibility. If the WCA directly said something like "we guarantee there is a 0% chance of curvy copter ever becoming an event and that is final", the traction that it's been gaining recently would very quickly die down to none or almost none.

CubeBlazer

WCA
2018SHUM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I came at this for a community POV. The cubing community needs more followers and if we keep events such as multiblind and FMC these events aren't entertaining. I think we should:
REMOVE: FMC, multiblind, clock, and maybe feet.
ADD: 2BLD, and maybe a shape mod like mirror cube.
I think this would add to the community and help cubing grow as a sport
Eww 2BLD eww "remove FMC/MBLD/Clock/Feet" Don't.

Lapse.

WCA
2016WYNG01
I think a new puzzle needs to be invented with the goals of speedsolving in mind to really justify adding it to the list. Sounds ridiculous but it shouldn't be too much to ask considering how advanced and creative puzzle designing has become, and how accessible it is. We could potentially even fund research on designing a WCA-worthy puzzle... but i'm just daydreaming.

Iwannaganx

I think a new puzzle needs to be invented with the goals of speedsolving in mind to really justify adding it to the list. Sounds ridiculous but it shouldn't be too much to ask considering how advanced and creative puzzle designing has become, and how accessible it is. We could potentially even fund research on designing a WCA-worthy puzzle... but i'm just daydreaming.
I would donate! If I had any money...
But I think if this happens we will have a great new puzzle, designed for speedsolving, that could revolutionise cubing forever

kadabrium

WCA
2019XIAO15
Whats the precise history behind the fact that both skewb and pyraminx are released and popularized much earlier than jings pyraminx?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you can solve mega you can solve a 3x3 and 2x2 at least.
Mostly true, but pyraminx definitely doesn't fit that idea. Plenty of people have been able to solve a pyraminx, but unable to solve any kind of cube. My youngest daughter was one of those for a while; now she can solve a cube in 40 seconds, but she learned how to solve a pyraminx before she learned to solve a 3x3x3. And she learned 2x2x2 after 3x3x3.

Parke187

\2 blind would be pointless. FMC is unique, same with Multiblind. Clock and feet should be though

Mirror cube would be pretty useless, although I think Kilominx and curvy copter should be added
Imagine thimaking clock should be removed when you haven't even tried it lmfao

Hazel

Premium Member
Um, what even is Jings Pyraminx?
k1lSd3S.png