• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Cubing Discussion

pyrapyravince

isnt it weird that cubicle can sell mystery puzzles for 5 dollars. theres a possibility that you can get a gan duo for 5 dollars.
How do they afford to do that?
Also, some people could buy a bunch of 3 dollar cubes, and then sell them for the real price at a comp.

rubik2005

isnt it weird that cubicle can sell mystery puzzles for 5 dollars. theres a possibility that you can get a gan duo for 5 dollars.
How do they afford to do that?
Also, some people could buy a bunch of 3 dollar cubes, and then sell them for the real price at a comp.
That's not really how it works. The only time they've done something similar is putting a Gan 11 M Pro (UV I think) into the $35 mystery puzzles bin. The cubes will be within their range of price, so if you pay $3 or $5, you'll likely get a budget cube or something no more than like $10. So it's not like there's a chance of you getting a 17x17 if you buy a $35 mystery puzzle

With the selling at comps thing, yea maybe. But they'll likely only make like $5 of profit depending on the cube, or simply have no use for it and would sell for an even lower price just to get rid of it. But otherwise, it would be better to just buy a new cube anyway unless you want to try it beforehand.

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Notation is quite simple. The easiest way to get used to it is just to scramble lots of cubes and check them every time. Using something like CSTimer with the draw scramble function is probably the best way, plus it gives loads of customising options that make it the most popular timer by a long way.

pyrapyravince

has anyone figured out the notation yet?
' means reverse, and 2 means two times.

R means right.

R: Rotate the right side up, or clockwise
R': Rotate the right side down, or counterclockwise
R2: Rotate the right side 2 times or clockwise.
L means left.
L: Rotate the left side down, or clockwise
L': Rotate the left side up, or counterclockwise.
L2: Rotate the left side 2 times.
F means front.
F: Rotate the front side down, or clockwise
F': Rotate the front side up, or counterclockwise
F2: Rotate the front side 2 times
B means back.
B: Rotate the back side up, or clockwise
B': Rotate the back side down, or counterclockwise
B2: Rotate the back side 2 times
U means up.
U: Rotate the top side to the left, or clockwise
U': Rotate the top side to left, or clockwise
U2: Rotate the top side 2 times.
D means down.
D: Rotate the bottom side to the right, or clockwise
D': Rotate the bottom side to the left, or counterclockwise.
D2: Rotate the bottom side to the left

Remember, slice moves rotate the same to the letter closest to them in the alphabet.
M means middle.
M: Slide the layer between L and R down, like L
M': Slide the layer between L and R up, like L'
M2: Slide the layer between L and R 2 times
E means equator.
E: Slide the layer between D and U to the right, like D
E': Slide the layer between D and U to the left, like D'
E2: Slide the layer between D and U 2 times.
S means standing.
S: Slide the layer between F and B down, like F
S': Slide the layer between F and B up, like F'
S2: Slide the layer between F and B 2 times

w (meaning wide) / lowercase means moving the face and the adjacent slice. It can be mixed and matched with other notations. So moving F and S down, is f/ Fw.

Cube rotations rotate the entire cube.
x: Rotate the entire cube the on R.
x': Rotate the entire cube on R'.
x2: Rotate the entire cube 2 times on R.
y: Rotate the entire cube on U.
y': Rotate the entire cube on U'.
y2: Rotate the entire cube 2 times on U.
z: Rotate the entire cube on F.
z': Rotate the entire cube on F'.
z2: Rotate the entire cube two times on F.

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Most alternative notations don't really do anything more than what Singmaster notation can do. With experience, you can easily identify triggers and know how to fingertrick them. Also, they don't really help when you have something like R' F R' U (sexy), as you don't execute the sexy in there the same way as from neutral, so breaking down into common triggers ignores a lot of potential nuance.

vidcapper

Do you use cstimer with the timer running, or hidden? I prefer the latter, otherwise I find it a distraction.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
this was from my 2x2 session late last night. I thought my times were getting worse but maybe not on average. but I definitely made more mistakes and had less very fast singles.

Screenshot from 2021-04-29 17-33-39.png

I agree, excessive practice can be detrimental. It is just important to do a bit everyday.
the thing is, my practice isn't excessive. I get mentally tired after 50 solves, not even fingers tired.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Everyone should take a break once in a while. I took a break from cubing for a few weeks, because I was getting mentally stressed due to schoolwork, exams, and trying to get to Sub 50. (Around December). And now I feel so much more refreshed.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I guess the best strategy you can have right now, is just to build a bit more endurance day by day.

If you practice daily for like a few weeks straight, the tiredness should disappear.
Good idea.
I think the tiredness comes because I try to focus very hard during inspection and solving, and it is not easy for me to maintain focus for any extended amount of time, be it homework or videogames or cubing

AlgoCuber

Most of the cubes on Amazon are ripoffs. They just rebrand and repackage a cheap cube and sell them for a way higher price. Or, they market it as "D-Fantix Gan 11 M Pro" or "GAN 11 M Pro 3x3 Speed Cube by Cuberspeed", making it seem like they made it. Some of the names are also super cringy like "The Amazing IQ Tester." I also spent 5 minutes reading cubes reviews on amazon, and the bad reviews aren't hard to find at all. Most of the bad reviews say things like "a 62mm 4x4 is way too small, almost as small as my 3x3" even though it is standard size, "cube exploded into pieces after a few months" which is just a pop and is pretty normal. Tighten the cube to make it pop less. If the cube even pops once, that's a automatic 1 star review, though.

I'm not going to blame the reviewers though, they're probably beginners who just learned how to cube and don't know any cube stores. I do wish amazon reviewers would do more research on cubes, and the redistributor brands would stop making it seem like their cubes.

Just a small rant lol