• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Cubing Discussion

rubik2005

yeah, that's kinda the most important part of business.
While it's important, it's not the most important factor. If I had business, I would rather sell products and earn a profit of 10% with a group of 20 loyal customers than sell products and earn a profit of 60% but only two people buy from me. If you don't have a good connection with your audience (speedcubers and Amazon), you won't get them to buy from you, and that's why they target non-cubers/beginners instead (they don't know about other cube stores and shop on Amazon all the time.

The Cubicle is really engaged with the community, and this is seen through the sponsoring of competitions/cubers, Social Media (Twitch, YouTube, Instagram), etc. which is a very influential reason as to why so many of us are drawn to them. They help us, we help them.

DNF_Cuber

While it's important, it's not the most important factor. If I had business, I would rather sell products and earn a profit of 10% with a group of 20 loyal customers than sell products and earn a profit of 60% but only two people buy from me. If you don't have a good connection with your audience (speedcubers and Amazon), you won't get them to buy from you, and that's why they target non-cubers/beginners instead (they don't know about other cube stores and shop on Amazon all the time.

The Cubicle is really engaged with the community, and this is seen through the sponsoring of competitions/cubers, Social Media (Twitch, YouTube, Instagram), etc. which is a very influential reason as to why so many of us are drawn to them. They help us, we help them.
I meant total profit not profit margin

pyrapyravince

I just figured something out

Kilominx: Kilobyte
Megaminx: Megabyte
Gigaminx: Gigabyte

And then teraminx (terabyte) examinx (exabyte), and so on and so forth.
So, a 1x1x1 megaminx would be a bytaminx.

I might be dumb and this is obvious for some other people.

Topic change: What the hek does minx mean?

xyzzy

I just figured something out

Kilominx: Kilobyte
Megaminx: Megabyte
Gigaminx: Gigabyte

And then teraminx (terabyte) examinx (exabyte), and so on and so forth.
So, a 1x1x1 megaminx would be a bytaminx.

I might be dumb and this is obvious for some other people.

Topic change: What the hek does minx mean?
They're named after SI prefixes. "Mega" and higher aren't in common use outside of science and computers; in colloquial usage, we say "tonne" rather than "megagram", for example. This is probably why your first association to kilo/mega/giga/tera are with computer storage units rather than SI prefixes in general.

(The notation "n×n" minx also bothers me a lot—these things aren't squares or rectangles, so why are we calling them as if they are? The Chinese nomenclature (n-jie wumofang, lit. "n-layered megaminx") is… better, I guess? I still don't really like that either, tbh. Names are weird.)

The "minx" in pyraminx, megaminx, etc. are all thanks to Uwe Meffert, as I understand it. He likes the name, so he used it in a whole bunch of puzzles he was selling.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
(The notation "n×n" minx also bothers me a lot—these things aren't squares or rectangles, so why are we calling them as if they are? The Chinese nomenclature (n-jie wumofang, lit. "n-layered megaminx") is… better, I guess? I still don't really like that either, tbh. Names are weird.)
like my friend would say, that's a 3-cube or a 2-cube!

the naming of kilominx doesn't make sense either because if megaminx is 3 layered and gigaminx is 5 layered, then the 1x1 minx should be the kilominx. then someone came up with kibimimx which doesn't make sense really because kibi is only 2.4% bigger than kilo (1000 vs 1024). so the name should be master kilominx since it's like a 2x2 or something equally stupid.

mefferts also used the minx name for pyraminx and I think there's a whole separate naming scheme for those.