• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Cubing Discussion

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Odd thought: years ago whenever there was a record broken, it got a huge amount of attention with everyone congratulating the record breaker. Now, when a world record is broken, aside from a lot of video views, there is hardly much comment activity. What has caused this dynamic shift in the community?

Ronxu

WCA
2010RONK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Odd thought: years ago whenever there was a record broken, it got a huge amount of attention with everyone congratulating the record breaker. Now, when a world record is broken, aside from a lot of video views, there is hardly much comment activity. What has caused this dynamic shift in the community?
everyone migrated to facebook

dudefaceguy

I was doing some one-handed solving on the subway today, and the guy next to me mentioned that he had seen me working on it last month. He asked me if I had solved it yet, so I solved it for him. I thought it was a cool moment.

I periodically get reactions from folks on the train, which I think is fun. I've had a slow clap from across the platform after a 4x4 solve, random congratulations, and one long conversation with someone about cubes and how different they are from the original Rubik's (I was using a stickerless 4x4). Any other commuter solvers?

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was doing some one-handed solving on the subway today, and the guy next to me mentioned that he had seen me working on it last month. He asked me if I had solved it yet, so I solved it for him. I thought it was a cool moment.

I periodically get reactions from folks on the train, which I think is fun. I've had a slow clap from across the platform after a 4x4 solve, random congratulations, and one long conversation with someone about cubes and how different they are from the original Rubik's (I was using a stickerless 4x4). Any other commuter solvers?
I'd solve on my commute, but I need both hands on the steering wheel of the car.

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...

Same thing here! I often practice skewb or 3x3 on the train where I live, so I will often get reactions from people. I don’t solve fast at all, maybe around 27 secs, but people are often still amazed.

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's a good question - not sure. But they aren't anymore likely to comment on a WR than someone new to speedcubing - so that wouldn't explain the drop either.
From older things such as cubecast, old posts etc. it's the fast people congratulating the people who are challenging them, or the experienced people. I haven't seen someone such as chris hardwick or stefan pochmann on here since I've been a member, and I very rarely have proper conversations with people here.

TL;DR, a lot of the people who are active aren't as experienced and probably are less able to have in depth discussions.

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...
From older things such as cubecast, old posts etc. it's the fast people congratulating the people who are challenging them, or the experienced people. I haven't seen someone such as chris hardwick or stefan pochmann on here since I've been a member, and I very rarely have proper conversations with people here.

TL;DR, a lot of the people who are active aren't as experienced and probably are less able to have in depth discussions.
I consider myself as being somewhat inexperienced, and I think I could have a discussion here about pretty much anything with anybody. It’s just about being open to learning every day, and I learn very quickly.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
:wave:

It's amazing to think how many hours I spent here between 2008 and 2012.
2000hrs?

Any old cubers still on this site?
Welcome back Stachu, it's been awhile. It's a whole new generation here - much of the community has spread across social media. Are you getting back into cubing?

Me! I was mostly gone for about 2 years (2015-2017), but came back a couple of years ago. Good to see you back, Stachu!
It's a bit strange how interest in hobbies work. I go through months of intense interest, and then months of little interest. And this cycle has continued for years. It seems to be the same amongst a lot of people.