• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Cubing Discussion

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
Odd thought: years ago whenever there was a record broken, it got a huge amount of attention with everyone congratulating the record breaker. Now, when a world record is broken, aside from a lot of video views, there is hardly much comment activity. What has caused this dynamic shift in the community?

WCA
2010RONK01
YouTube
Rubikscuber96
Odd thought: years ago whenever there was a record broken, it got a huge amount of attention with everyone congratulating the record breaker. Now, when a world record is broken, aside from a lot of video views, there is hardly much comment activity. What has caused this dynamic shift in the community?
everyone migrated to facebook

I was doing some one-handed solving on the subway today, and the guy next to me mentioned that he had seen me working on it last month. He asked me if I had solved it yet, so I solved it for him. I thought it was a cool moment.

I periodically get reactions from folks on the train, which I think is fun. I've had a slow clap from across the platform after a 4x4 solve, random congratulations, and one long conversation with someone about cubes and how different they are from the original Rubik's (I was using a stickerless 4x4). Any other commuter solvers?

I was doing some one-handed solving on the subway today, and the guy next to me mentioned that he had seen me working on it last month. He asked me if I had solved it yet, so I solved it for him. I thought it was a cool moment.

I periodically get reactions from folks on the train, which I think is fun. I've had a slow clap from across the platform after a 4x4 solve, random congratulations, and one long conversation with someone about cubes and how different they are from the original Rubik's (I was using a stickerless 4x4). Any other commuter solvers?
I'd solve on my commute, but I need both hands on the steering wheel of the car.

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...

Same thing here! I often practice skewb or 3x3 on the train where I live, so I will often get reactions from people. I don’t solve fast at all, maybe around 27 secs, but people are often still amazed.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
800?! It seems like 50 tbh.
Also, how many of them are actually fast? Like world class?
It's a good question - not sure. But they aren't anymore likely to comment on a WR than someone new to speedcubing - so that wouldn't explain the drop either.

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
PapaSmurf Cubes
It's a good question - not sure. But they aren't anymore likely to comment on a WR than someone new to speedcubing - so that wouldn't explain the drop either.
From older things such as cubecast, old posts etc. it's the fast people congratulating the people who are challenging them, or the experienced people. I haven't seen someone such as chris hardwick or stefan pochmann on here since I've been a member, and I very rarely have proper conversations with people here.

TL;DR, a lot of the people who are active aren't as experienced and probably are less able to have in depth discussions.

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...
From older things such as cubecast, old posts etc. it's the fast people congratulating the people who are challenging them, or the experienced people. I haven't seen someone such as chris hardwick or stefan pochmann on here since I've been a member, and I very rarely have proper conversations with people here.

TL;DR, a lot of the people who are active aren't as experienced and probably are less able to have in depth discussions.
I consider myself as being somewhat inexperienced, and I think I could have a discussion here about pretty much anything with anybody. It’s just about being open to learning every day, and I learn very quickly.