• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

turtwig

I think it's better if you learn PLL first. OLL has about twice the algs and you'll probably drop more time with PLL. Why do you want to learn OLL first anyway?

Vaya inks

That makes some sense I guess, but if you really want to follow that order, learning good look ahead and f2l techniques could easily get you down at least to sub 25
Yeah honestly my f2l is sooo sloppy

RennuR

Aight guys quick question. I am working on my A-perm's and holy crap they are hard. I just cant do a lefty D2, pinky ring, ring pinky, ring middle. All just feel way to awkward. So I was wondering if you guys think my version could possibly suffice.This is also I guess me sharing a version with you I came up with.

This is specifically for the A(a) perm. - x R' U R' D2 R U' R' D2 R2
With this one you usually have left middle finger on back, and thumb on front (after the x), then you follow through with either pinky-ring, ring-pinky, or ring middle, and the rest is fast and regripless(except the D2 again). This is where in my opinion, or for me at least it gets really awkward, especially for right hand dominant people.

Now here is my version, it may look and feel a little awkward at first, but if you are like me and cant do that double flick with your left hand effectively, try this.

A1.gif

So you will of course be holding the cube with this face on the top, and the algorithm is exactly the same, its just how you hold the cube.

With the first version, when you see this, you will regrip your left hand and get a straight on view of your cube. with white being your front color (if you solve white cross). Then you just continue with minor regrips here and there.

With my version, what you are going to want to do is again, hold your yellow face on top at the start. With the headlights away from you of course. From here what you are going to do is put your left pointer finger on Front bottome left, as if you were going to do a reverse flick so your finger is resting on the white face, or the back of your finger that is. And your left middle finger should be on Top Left, resting on the yellow side, this will feel awkward at first. Then with your right hand, overgrip the right face so that your thumb is on top right. So with this, you will need to tilt your cube to the side a little bit like a half y' and a half x, so you will be seeing 3 faces at once. One the diagram above you would see blue to the left, red to the right, and white on bottom, but you would barely see the white face. You will also have your left ring finger next to the middle finger, but of course being taken off during your D2. In this position, you just follow through with the algorithm, turn the right face and do that reverse u-flick with your left pointer finger, but here it is more like a F turn I guess. Then the next R turn, and this is where the good part comes in... YOU CAN DO THE D2 WITH YOUR RIGHT HAND COMFORTABLY. After this, the rest of the algorithm is literally the same, and the next D2 is also with your right hand. This D2 can be done with pinky-ring, ring-pinky, ring-middle, and even middle-ring(if your into that). The other great thing about this very unique grip, is that it gives you a view of 2 sides of the top layer, instead of just the front, which really helps when you are doing 2-look PLL, because then you know what edge cycle alg you need to do right away, instead of looking around the top.

If you took the time to read that, and somehow figured that out, I congratulate you.... I have no idea how to put it in easier words, because I have no idea how to do like finger trick notation. If anyone could come up with a finger trick notation for this, I would be very happy. I cant really take videos so yeah I dont know how else to explain it.

Basically the U flick is done with your left hand, a reverse style. I hope someone gets this haha. Tell me what you think if you do! (Its so complicated yikes)

Last edited by a moderator:
WCA
2015PEAR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Aight guys quick question. I am working on my A-perm's and holy crap they are hard. I just cant do a lefty D2, pinky ring, ring pinky, ring middle. All just feel way to awkward. So I was wondering if you guys think my version could possibly suffice.This is also I guess me sharing a version with you I came up with.

This is specifically for the A(a) perm. - x R' U R' D2 R U' R' D2 R2
With this one you usually have left middle finger on back, and thumb on front (after the x), then you follow through with either pinky-ring, ring-pinky, or ring middle, and the rest is fast and regripless(except the D2 again). This is where in my opinion, or for me at least it gets really awkward, especially for right hand dominant people.

Now here is my version, it may look and feel a little awkward at first, but if you are like me and cant do that double flick with your left hand effectively, try this.

A1.gif

So you will of course be holding the cube with this face on the top, and the algorithm is exactly the same, its just how you hold the cube.

With the first version, when you see this, you will regrip your left hand and get a straight on view of your cube. with white being your front color (if you solve white cross). Then you just continue with minor regrips here and there.

With my version, what you are going to want to do is again, hold your yellow face on top at the start. With the headlights away from you of course. From here what you are going to do is put your left pointer finger on Front bottome left, as if you were going to do a reverse flick so your finger is resting on the white face, or the back of your finger that is. And your left middle finger should be on Top Left, resting on the yellow side, this will feel awkward at first. Then with your right hand, overgrip the right face so that your thumb is on top right. So with this, you will need to tilt your cube to the side a little bit like a half y' and a half x, so you will be seeing 3 faces at once. One the diagram above you would see blue to the left, red to the right, and white on bottom, but you would barely see the white face. You will also have your left ring finger next to the middle finger, but of course being taken off during your D2. In this position, you just follow through with the algorithm, turn the right face and do that reverse u-flick with your left pointer finger, but here it is more like a F turn I guess. Then the next R turn, and this is where the good part comes in... YOU CAN DO THE D2 WITH YOUR RIGHT HAND COMFORTABLY. After this, the rest of the algorithm is literally the same, and the next D2 is also with your right hand. This D2 can be done with pinky-ring, ring-pinky, ring-middle, and even middle-ring(if your into that). The other great thing about this very unique grip, is that it gives you a view of 2 sides of the top layer, instead of just the front, which really helps when you are doing 2-look PLL, because then you know what edge cycle alg you need to do right away, instead of looking around the top.

If you took the time to read that, and somehow figured that out, I congratulate you.... I have no idea how to put it in easier words, because I have no idea how to do like finger trick notation. If anyone could come up with a finger trick notation for this, I would be very happy. I cant really take videos so yeah I dont know how else to explain it.

Basically the U flick is done with your left hand, a reverse style. I hope someone gets this haha. Tell me what you think if you do! (Its so complicated yikes)

I haven't read all that, but ya could've just made a video showing it, would have been a bit easier and more people would watch it.

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What I do is I just do the R' U R' without regripping (have the cube gripped so your pointer finger is in the position to to a B move, and after doing R' just do the U with your pointer finger, then follow through with the R') then I quickly regrip so I can do a D2 with my right ring-middle, then I do R, then U' with my left pointer, then R', then D2 again with the right ring-middle, then R2' because it's following through with the previous R'. It's incredibly fast to do it this way, and is one of my fastest PLLs.

RennuR

What I do is I just do the R' U R' without regripping (have the cube gripped so your pointer finger is in the position to to a B move, and after doing R' just do the U with your pointer finger, then follow through with the R') then I quickly regrip so I can do a D2 with my right ring-middle, then I do R, then U' with my left pointer, then R', then D2 again with the right ring-middle, then R2' because it's following through with the previous R'. It's incredibly fast to do it this way, and is one of my fastest PLLs.

MM I gotchya, seems like a super awkward overgrip however, and also, like that regrip seems a little tedious. Idk. Anyway I will try to make a video to show you guys what I mean. Iphone video incoming lolol

I am sub-25 and I am struggling to be sub 20. I think my last layer is really slow it takes about 7-10 sec. should I learn 1-Look OLL?
Please Help.

really you should learn roux or zz or zbll but since you cant predict the future so youre roux look ahed will be bad and you dont ahve 2 years to learn eoline or zbll just do it full oll is really good dont try to learn all fo them just find some nice cases and slowly learn them

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i have finished learning full PLL so should i start the long hard journey of learning all 57 (47 which i do not know) OLL algorithims or is there something better to do to improve my time?
You can always work on something else: 1looking cross, lookahead, multi slotting F2L, 2-sided PLL recognition etc.
If you average sub-35 or so, yeah, start learning OLL. But if not, then you need to work more on your cross/F2L.

austincubes

I've been using 2 look PLL since I started cubing almost 2 years ago, and I've wanted to learn 1 look. However, when I try to start learning, I instantly am not motivated to do it anymore. How did you guys learn one look?

i just finished with the 2 look OLL and PLO and now my best time is 37 seconds but with a +2 so I was wondering if full oll will help my time more then full pll and what one I should learn first.