• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Text

www.BigCubes.com/5x5x5

Algs

Meep
Last Two Centers
Last Two Edges

Kirjava
K4 LL <-- parity algs for last two edges

Videos

Erik Akkersdijk
[YouTubeHD]B6hmvCbNkpg[/YouTubeHD]
LanceTheBlueKnight
[YouTubeHD]BQhlj4SZGTo[/YouTubeHD]
RobH0629
[YouTubeHD]44G7P-Q5E94[/YouTubeHD]
Dan Cohen
[YouTubeHD]Aa89zl36IZA[/YouTubeHD]
[YouTubeHD]5nW3sLbgCtM[/YouTubeHD]
Kevin Lee
[YouTubeHD]UKdIuZF2IGw[/YouTubeHD]
MeMyselfAndPi
[YouTubeHD]LbPWHLi6jVA[/YouTubeHD]
Feliks Zemdegs
[YouTubeHD]cjTJcUXokmU[/YouTubeHD]
SixSquareFaces
[YouTubeHD]bCpZPUJk_k8[/YouTubeHD]
CuberFelix1996
[YouTubeHD]kVbYCOVU6t4[/YouTubeHD]
TheGbpackr
[YouTubeHD]2ePPikyKei8[/YouTubeHD]
Rob Yau
[YouTubeHD]J3I029cwLHU[/YouTubeHD]
[YouTubeHD]xevxLrEEBJ8[/YouTubeHD]

Original Post:
I need some tips on speedsolving the 5x5. I have been practicing a bit, and I want to start working on tricks to improve my times. If you have any, please let me know. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1. Learn a good method (centers,edge-pairing,3x3x3)
2. Create a good cube (sand/file the wings)
3. Practice doing the centers by creating lines only (3 3x1 "blocks") and by creating blocks only (1x1 -> 1x2 -> 2x2 -> 2x3 -> 3x3)
4. Practice the edge-pairing. This will probably take about half of your total solving time. Find the needed pieces, and pair them without looking at them. Find the next needed pieces during this time instead.
5. Start using finger-tricks on the 5x5x5.
6. Replace algorithms that use slice moves (3x3x3 part) with algorithms that are 2-gens.
7. Do all the other stuff you did to get your 3x3x3 times down.

Good luck

P.S. I average 60 + 120 + 50 seconds for the three stages. (32 seconds on the 3x3x3)

Flame838

WCA
2008SUNC01
4x4 and 5x5 help?

Well my 4x4 and 5x5 times aren't really good and I need to improve a lot. My centers are okay but my edge pairing is terrible. Any tips to improve my big cube times because I'm getting tired of having to spend 30 minutes just to take a 5x5 average of 5. Here are my times: (Note: These are averages.)
-----------4x4 5x5-----------
Centers:-00:30|1:30.00
Edges:-1:20.00|3:00.00
3x3:-----00:50|1:00.00
Total:--2:40.00|5:30.00

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, check these out:
http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?t=761
http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447

Especially study the examples, and understand them, and then practice.

Get good on 5x5x5, and your 4x4x4 times will go down as well, since they work the same.

If you don't like Arnaud's method, then I guess go back to bigcubes and reread it all, and practice. But I prefer Arnaud's method. (And it's nice because it's exactly the same as what you do with the 4x4x4.)

I'm about as fast as you on 3x3x3 (based on your WCA profile), but I average 3 minutes on the 5x5x5. So you should be able to improve rather easily from where you are now with this method.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCuber

5x5x5 Edge pairing parity help

Okay, I always get to the two last edges, and things go wrong here.

I'm not gonna go out memorizing every single parity algorithm, so there has to be some sort of technique.

What do you guys recommend to do?

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use 3 algorithms, the rest I reduce to one of those 3 states. The algorithms I use are: The 4x4x4 OLL parity algorithm; The 4x4x4 last 2 pairs swap algorithm (Dw R F' U R' F Dw'); The algorithm that swaps just 2 edge pieces (on 2 separate edges) (Lw' U2 Lw' U2 F2 Lw' F2 Rw U2 Rw' U2 Lw2).

TheCuber

I see.

Im still trying only to memorize 1 algorithm. Is this possible I can set myself up to only do this?

mrbiggs

I see.

Im still trying only to memorize 1 algorithm. Is this possible I can set myself up to only do this?

Yes, you can use just the 4x4x4 parity algorithm. That's the only algorithm I use.

It sometimes wastes a good 5-10 seconds (because generally learning the actual algorithms skips a step), but it's really not bad for someone who's starting.

EDIT: If you count the 2-edge swap as an algorithm, then I guess I use two, but the way I do it is intuitive anyway:

U'w (R U R' F R' F' R) Uw where that middle bit just flips the edge.

Last edited:

Paris

WCA
2008ZIEL01
but it's really not bad for someone who's starting.

or if you're starting i reccomend AVG (Arnaud Van Galen) edge pairing its very fast (check Erik Akkersdijk :) ) and this method needs only one parrity algorithm which was in first reply starting Lw' U2...

Last edited:

TheCuber

Yeah its pretty easy to set yourself up for an edge flip/swap, thanks for the tips guys!

YAY only 1 alg to remember haha

Ton

WCA
2003DENN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Finger tricks? I normally use 'U' Moves and Rr, Ll , R or L moves.

E.g. Rr U Rr' U' Rr U Rr' U' Rr U Rr' which swap two inner corners

TIP: try to make pairs or lines e.g. make a 2x2 block , then 2x3 block etc . Or just makes 1x3 lines this depend what you see first.

I do not think there are any finger tricks involved , but using the U layer and R or L can move very fast

slncuber21

WCA
2008NELS02
YouTube
Visit Channel
5x5 help?

i really need to know how to get the last two centers faster. it takes me like a minute just for them! its driving me nuts... so can you guys help me? i know there is something called commutors? or something like that. what are those and how would i use them??

please help me!! :p

Brett

The only case I had trouble with was when two corners were switched. I found that the moves are very similar to the last 2-3 moves of Anti-Sune. Some experimentation should make it easy.

If you get stuck with 1 edge and 1 corner next to each other, switch it out with the other side so you get 1 corner only and follow the above directions.

Vulosity

YouTube
Visit Channel
First, I make 2x1 block on one of the lst two centers. Then I turn it into a 2x2 block. Then a 2x3 block. Then I insert a 1x3 to complete it. If one corner is switched, I use the sune. r U r' U r U2 r'.

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
And you'll probably end up finding your own commutators :D
More seriously, it depends on the method you're using. If you don't care about breaking corners and edges when building centers, then experiment anything you want. If you do, just do the same but knowing a little bit about commutators may help you.