• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

CubingDuck

YouTube
Visit Channel

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel

I think it does help, as it's led to multiple WR holders having success. Try reading it again, and if you can't get it from that site, I would suggest stop trying to do 5x5 for a bit.

Yeah but like ellis siad im stuck on the last 4 tredges not the last 2.

You use those same algorithms for all of the last 4 tredges, not just the last 2, so that page is exactly what you need. At least, that's the way I do it when I use the bigcubes method. (But usually I use AVG so I don't have all those algorithms to remember. :D)

dougbenham

Okay what you need to do if you have 4 tredges stored on the top and 4 tredges on the bottom is just store one one the incorrect tredges on the top or bottom layer. So you will have 3 incorrect tredges in the middle layer, and 1 on top/bottom. You will also have 1 correct tredge in the middle layer.

The reason you want to do this is so that when you slice to form a tredge, you can replace the newly formed tredge with the incorrect tredge you placed in the top/bottom layer. If you have any more questions, just ask.

The video that GermanCube posted, has a couple other related videos that would help. This one is called Advanced Edge Pairing, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xi31Qct3Qk&feature=response_watch. Near the end of the video it will guide you to tell you how to solve the last 4 tredges.

Last edited:

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
Shoot1510, that is a different method... so it doesn't really help with the question. And btw, that is a pretty bad tutorial.

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
Shoot1510, that is a different method... so it doesn't really help with the question. And btw, that is a pretty bad tutorial.
Well jcuber thought me those 2 algs

Damn you jcuber. I'm sticking in with bigcubes with all parity.

What? You said you're sticking with bigcubes, which is the method that the OP is using, so why would you link a tutorial that is a silly way to do AVG? Doesn't make any sense.

Okay, I see you edited it. No, that method is fine, it's just a stupid way of doing it. And it's still completely irrelevant to the question.

And it's "taught", I don't really care about spelling though.

Last edited:

shoot1510

WCA
2009TOLO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well jcuber thought me those 2 algs

Damn you jcuber. I'm sticking in with bigcubes with all parity.

What? You said you're sticking with bigcubes, which is the method that the OP is using, so why would you link a tutorial that is a silly way to do AVG? Doesn't make any sense.

I'm using bigcubes method. Because I throught it will help him, and now you said it won't help him.
And what do you mean by AVG? Antivirus? I don't get it. I never gonna use Thrawst youtube channel because you said it stupid and silly.

Last edited:

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
I using bigcubes method. Because I throught it will help him, and now you said it won't help him.
And what do you mean by AVG? Antivirus? I don't get it.

LOL, no it's not antivirus. It's an edge pairing method. It's the non-stupid way of doing what it's showing in the video. But the person who started this thread is asking specifically how to do the last four edges with the bigcube method and you just linked to a video that is a completely different method. It doesn't really help, that's all I'm saying.

shoot1510

WCA
2009TOLO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I using bigcubes method. Because I throught it will help him, and now you said it won't help him.
And what do you mean by AVG? Antivirus? I don't get it.

LOL, no it's not antivirus. It's an edge pairing method. It's the non-stupid way of doing what it's showing in the video. But the person who started this thread is asking specifically how to do the last four edges with the bigcube method and you just linked to a video that is a completely different method. It doesn't really help, that's all I'm saying.

Well, now I need to erased the 2 parity algs on my head. I post part 2, edge pairing. This is not helping me, and I'm getting a headache from this now.

Last edited:

mati rubik

WCA
2009MACA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
5x5 help

Hi, I like 5x5 but I stop improving :confused:

I use V-cube 5 black, freeslice method for edges, I know all cases for last two edges, and I use CFOP for 3x3, but my avg is like 1:45-1:55, I'm doing something wrong?

PatrickJameson

Premium Member
WCA
2007JAME01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi, I like 5x5 but I stop improving :confused:

I use V-cube 5 black, freeslice method for edges, I know all cases for last two edges, and I use CFOP for 3x3, but my avg is like 1:45-1:55, I'm doing something wrong?

Heh, I still don't know all the last two edge cases.

But yeah, keep practicing. The 1:45 mark was tough to pass for me as well.

Joker

YouTube
Visit Channel
5x5 first four centers help please

Hello all. I need some help to get faster at 5x5 centers, and I want to learn some tricks for solving them. Now I've only been solving 5x5 for around a week, and the last timed I timed all 6 centers, the time was around 1:30 (may have been faster, it was done at night, so I was a little tired).
Anyhow I've seen quite a few example solves, and picked up a few things from them (I have seen Dan Cohen's 5x5 example solve vid, along with Chris Bird's vids, and other vids)
Now, I want to learn how to solve the first 4 centers faster, and a tutorial that shows intermediate-advanced tips would be helpful (preferabbly a video with commentary). Note: not a beginner video please, I want a video with some tricks involved. I know how to do both 2x1 and 3x1 pairing for centers, and use both when the case seems right (but I prefer 2x1, because I can build centers more rapidly).
I know people would say "practice" (which I do) but I would appreciate it if someone gave me a link to a video that give tips for special/semi special or even general cases.
Thanks a lot guys.

Joker

YouTube
Visit Channel
http://bigcubes.com/index.html

That's all you need. And mess around to learn new ways to manipulate the pieces. And practise. Go slow at first, and slowly build up speed.

Thanks. But NONE of the pics show up on my screen (I've been to that site before also). And I cannot instal the prog to be able to see the pics (don't ask)
thats why I asked for a vid.
Theres quite a few vids on intermediate/advanced tredge pairing, but I'm not worried about my tredges right now. I want to get atleast 20 seconds faster on average for the 6 centers before I try to get better at tredges. I really don't know why I am talking about tredges. Sorry lol.

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Make one center, make an opposite center. Make a third, then one adjacent to the third. Then finish the last two.

For the first four, try to form 1x3 blocks before you insert them to their proper place. Color neutrality is nice to use, too, as you can just do what's easiest, but it shouldn't result in much different. Other than that, I'm not sure what to tell you, centers just require more practice and lookahead.