• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

3x3 With Feet Getting Removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
pretty sure his reasons are similar to everyone's else
Since he hasn’t clarified, though, it would be foolish to presume that. He might have similar reasons to everyone else, or he might have a new argument that even I would find convincing. Or he could be under the mistaken impression that feet actually operate like a vacuum cleaner, creating a localized area of low pressure and thereby drawing in detritus.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know Dene has expressed his opinions on feet numerous times here on Speedsolving.com, but the times I remember are a long time ago (many years), so it might take a bit of searching to find them.

I completely respect Dene's opinion on this, although I disagree with it. :)

It's funny that it has been almost 2 years since Dene's previous post, and this is the thing that finally got him to post again. Hi, Dene, welcome back!

Edit: I found one.

David Zemdegs

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would suggest that three things come out of this discussion.
1. What are the criteria for an event.
2. In addition to 1. - what are the criteria for introducing a new event
3. In respect of 1. - what are the criteria for removing events

The Olympic movement has over the years added and removed many events. I dont believe the WCA should be static.
Having said that - my main argument against feet is the credibility one - Whenever I discuss the WCA and mention feet as an event, the response is "are you serious"?

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04

Agreed. It would be very helpful to have more firm criteria.

Having said that - my main argument against feet is the credibility one - Whenever I discuss the WCA and mention feet as an event, the response is "are you serious"?

I’ve said this before, but I don’t find this argument at all compelling. On the one hand, the response I’ve heard to feet is basically the same as the response to cubing competitions in general: “seriously? That’s pretty crazy, but cool, I guess.”

On the other hand we are spending hundreds of hours and dollars, if not more, playing with what is basically a child’s toy. It’s fun, and I have no intention of quitting. But there is little more inspiring than someone who masters a ridiculous skill and is proud of it, and little that is more sad than someone who spends time and effort doing something ridiculous and believes that they are doing something useful. Cubing is ridiculous. There is nothing wrong with putting serious effort into it, as long as we remember that it’s a silly thing and we shouldn’t take either cubing or ourselves too seriously.

xyzzy

so now its gonna be legal to use your feet for the standard 3x3 event?
It's always been legal. You just need to make sure you're not violating A1c, which would be pretty difficult for anyone with at least one functioning arm.

Julio974

WCA
2018ROHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel

The Olympic movement has over the years added and removed many events. I dont believe the WCA should be static.
The Olympic Games's sports have changed over the years, but removing a sport from the Olympics doesn't mean deleting its organization or stopping its records.
Removing an event from the WCA removes its only way of being legal.

TheCuberCubes

YouTube
Visit Channel
I definitely don't support this. I would like to see it open to a bigger community vote (or at least a delegate vote).

Unlike Magic and Master Magic, Feet doesn't have any inherent flaws that prevent it from being held accurately. I understand that it's objectively unpopular, but some events will naturally be more popular than others, and its popularity has only been increasing in recent years. I also think the fact that it's such a spectator-friendly event is a big deal that shouldn't be overlooked. I really want to see cubing grow as a spectator sport, and weird/interesting events like Feet only make that more doable. I don't know many people (cubers or non-cubers) who would want to watch even the fastest of 7x7 solves, but a world class Feet solve is just plain fun to watch.

I recognize my bias as a Feet solver, but we also need to recognize the inherent bias in many of those arguing for this event to be removed. "I think it's stupid" and "I think it's good" are not valid reasons to keep or remove an event. Feet isn't hurting anyone by staying in the WCA (as far as I'm aware; feel free to provide evidence to the contrary if you have it). However, a non-negligible percentage of cubers are disappointed at its removal.

Yea DG I totally agree with what you are saying. Feet is just like any other event. BTW love your vids!

stormtrooper

WCA
2019POTO01
I honestly don't care about feet solves getting removed, feet solves are slow compared to OH or 3x3. TPS is limited on Feet Solves, which is why it is slow. Another is that feet are slower than hands, some people have fast feet on feet solves though not everyone has fast feet. If there would be 1 foot solving it is going to be ridiculous considering that you can barely turn a side with one foot and the cube would just end up getting thrown somewhere else. Those are just my thoughts why I think I don't really care with feet solves get removed.

This isn't really needed, I mean we have a few feet solvers in Massachusetts, and as TheCuberCubes said, I would feel bad for the people who do it. Look at events like 5bld, no one really does that one, yet it isnt being removed. why put away a entire world of cubing.

Status
Not open for further replies.