• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

3x3 With Feet Getting Removed

White KB

3141 Rubik's Cube Ave., Somewhere on E_rth
WCA
2019BRUC01
YouTube
WhoCube
Solving with feet is definitely not an event that I am interested in (Viewing or competing) but I don't see a good reason to get rid of it. If hygiene is an issue then institute a rule where competitors must wash and dry their feet before each solve. This is not unreasonable.
If you're solving with hands then you aren't going to grab your cube after eating a slice of pizza and a bag of cheetos right?
A lot of people have put in a ton of work to be good at this event, and it is certainly not boring!
I wonder if there are any feet solvers who do it because they are otherwise disabled? (Amputees or have mobility issues in their upper appendages)
Well, I would compete if it came to my locale, but it would be a good thing to institute some rules for sanitary reasons. That's what I say, anyway.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Well, I would compete if it came to my locale, but it would be a good thing to institute some rules for sanitary reasons. That's what I say, anyway.
If instituting special sanitary rules is what it takes to keep feet, fine, but there’s already an unwritten rule: are your hands gross? Wash them before competing. Feet? Same. Feet are not inherently gross any more than hands are. Both can get nasty, and both need to be washed from time to time.

Loser

WCA
2016QUIN01
Solving with feet is definitely not an event that I am interested in (Viewing or competing) but I don't see a good reason to get rid of it. If hygiene is an issue then institute a rule where competitors must wash and dry their feet before each solve. This is not unreasonable.
If you're solving with hands then you aren't going to grab your cube after eating a slice of pizza and a bag of cheetos right?
A lot of people have put in a ton of work to be good at this event, and it is certainly not boring!
I wonder if there are any feet solvers who do it because they are otherwise disabled? (Amputees or have mobility issues in their upper appendages)
There is someone with be hands that competes in feet. I can't imagine him staying involved if feet was removed.

WCA
2016BAIR01
There is someone with be hands that competes in feet. I can't imagine him staying involved if feet was removed.
1. That’s pretty uncommon to not have functioning hands so using that as a reason to keep feet doesn’t make sense since it affects such a small amount of the community
2. If you have a disability you can talk to your delegate and they can make accommodations. They could likely get permission to do events with their feet.
3. Before any “but they can’t compete on the same level as everyone else”, oh well. If we had to make an event to give everyone will disabilities “equal” conditions then it would be a mess.

Aerma

Premium Member
WCA
2015MANN01
YouTube
Aerma
1. That’s pretty uncommon to not have functioning hands so using that as a reason to keep feet doesn’t make sense since it affects such a small amount of the community
2. If you have a disability you can talk to your delegate and they can make accommodations. They could likely get permission to do events with their feet.
3. Before any “but they can’t compete on the same level as everyone else”, oh well. If we had to make an event to give everyone will disabilities “equal” conditions then it would be a mess.
Lack of an obviously good reason to keep an event isn't in itself a reason to remove the event though.

WCA
2016BAIR01
Lack of an obviously good reason to keep an event isn't in itself a reason to remove the event though.
If we are referring to the disability thing then yes, just because it’s not a good reason to keep the event doesn’t mean we should remove it. Overall though if there isn’t any good reason to keep an event then it should be removed (this isn’t the case with any event including feet right now)

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
1. That’s pretty uncommon to not have functioning hands so using that as a reason to keep feet doesn’t make sense since it affects such a small amount of the community.
Keeping Feet for the sake of disabled cubers is one of the weaker arguments for keeping Feet, but it’s a valid one. I personally know one cuber who because of a congenital condition only has one fully functional hand. He could compete in OH on a level playing field, but why limit him to one event? (You could make a case for FMC, too.)

Of course you could, the same way that if you have prosthetic legs you can still run a marathon, but most major marathons have wheelchair divisions, most competitions of any kind that are open to the public to compete have some division for people who are unable to compete on a level field. There is no good reason for cubing to be different in that respect.

To make everyone equal would be a mess. Providing some reasonable accommodations is not.

IMO the argument for Feet from access for disabled individuals is not a strong enough argument in itself to add feet as a new event, but it is strong enough to keep the event and added to the other arguments for keeping Feet it adds to an already very strong argument.

WCA
2016BAIR01
Keeping Feet for the sake of disabled cubers is one of the weaker arguments for keeping Feet, but it’s a valid one. I personally know one cuber who because of a congenital condition only has one fully functional hand. He could compete in OH on a level playing field, but why limit him to one event? (You could make a case for FMC, too.)

Of course you could, the same way that if you have prosthetic legs you can still run a marathon, but most major marathons have wheelchair divisions, most competitions of any kind that are open to the public to compete have some division for people who are unable to compete on a level field. There is no good reason for cubing to be different in that respect.

To make everyone equal would be a mess. Providing some reasonable accommodations is not.

IMO the argument for Feet from access for disabled individuals is not a strong enough argument in itself to add feet as a new event, but it is strong enough to keep the event and added to the other arguments for keeping Feet it adds to an already very strong argument.
1. Yes a weak argument
2. Cubing has differing events but not divisions.
3. Pretty subjective to say that and other weak arguments provide a strong argument together but sure

1. Yes a weak argument
2. Cubing has differing events but not divisions.
3. Pretty subjective to say that and other weak arguments provide a strong argument together but sure
did he say the other arguments were weak? no
and even if he did multiple weak arguments kind of do add up to make an overall strong argument

Mike Hughey

Super Moderator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
YouTube
MikeHughey1
Most of the arguments for keeping feet are pretty weak, just an opinion. Those arguments together are still overall weak, also an opinion.
Most of the arguments for removing feet as an event are pretty weak, just an opinion. Those arguments together are still overall weak, also an opinion.

fortissim2

WCA
2016LAUI01
I personally think solving a 3x3x3 with feet is incredibly silly. So I have no problems with it being removed.

But it's pretty sad for people who are good at it that it's getting removed.

How about we add 2x2x2 OH instead and put the Rubik's Magic back, but instead of just going from solved state A to solved state B, it actually gets scrambled into a random state and people have to solve it that way?
I don't think 2x2x2 OH should be a WCA event because it's already stupid enough, but a scrambled Rubik's Magic might be a good idea. A problem with that though is that you can't really put notation to it because of the way the Rubik's Magic is designed.