• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What events should be removed from the WCA events list?

• Clock

Votes: 128 46.9%
  • 7x7

Votes: 29 10.6%
  • 3x3 with feet

Votes: 103 37.7%
  • FMC

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Multiblind

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Pyraminx

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Skewb

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • Square-1

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • 3x3 OH

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • None of these

Votes: 104 38.1%

• Total voters

SM cubing

WCA
2018MACK04
Yeah that's true. But the point is are people going to go and watch FMC for an hour or will they watch multiple solves of 3x3 for an hour. Like I said, I'm trying to make it more spectator friendly. If cubing can't get more spectators, we have waaay less chance of growing the community.
Its for the competitors, plus we have enough spectator events, plus fmc is a great time to eat lunch imo

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah that's true. But the point is are people going to go and watch FMC for an hour or will they watch multiple solves of 3x3 for an hour. Like I said, I'm trying to make it more spectator friendly. If cubing can't get more spectators, we have waaay less chance of growing the community.

Ah, gotcha. I think variety is really important in cubing. We have plenty of spectator-friendly events (all the short events, OH, Feet, and BigBLD execution come to mind), but it's important to cater to the competitors as well. FMC is essentially a bunch of people sitting down for a test, so I agree that there's probably no way to make it interesting for spectators, but cubing has so much more to offer in the spectator-friendly realm that I think it's fine for some events to not fit that quota.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Unless it's finals at a major competition or maybe a local comp doing head to head finals, are rounds of 3x3x3 even watchable? To the audience, there's no order at all. People just come up to random stations to do solves, and you can't possibly track how they're all doing, especially with no live leaderboards until after all the solves are done and entered into cubecomps. There's barely anyone watching generic rounds of 3x3x3 except parents/friends of a competitor watching that single competitor solve.

Cubing competitions as they stand are not made for spectators. If that's your goal, you should throw out the entire setup of WCA competitions and start from scratch.

What if the wca removed clock, feet , big blind , etc for a limited time and replaced it with a new event for a limited time?
I don't think adding events for a limited time will encourage people to try them, as getting good in them will require a lot of time and effort, which seems wasted if the event will just be removed in 1-2 years. But on the other hand it would definitely improve the variety of events at comps.

aerocube

none of them should be removed
some people like clock,some people like feet
plus i have never seen a legitimate reason to remove clock

Astral cubing

WCA
2017JOHN23
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know this kinda contradicts my previous statements but let’s just leave everything the same (except for adding events) everyone likes different things For different reasons I enjoy megaminx this event isn’t overly popular it’s just my opinion that I like megaminx. People like feet because it’s different, others don’t like feet because it is different it is all opinion let’s just leave everything the same so people with differing opinions can all have fun.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
That’s an opinion. 3x3 is the main event of the WCA, for obvious reasons. In case you don’t know, the original cube was a 3x3.
I am well aware of the status and history of 3x3 in the WCA. Mostly I’m just being contrarian, but the argument that 3x3 is boring and should therefore be eliminated is as strong as any other arguments I’ve seen in this thread. 3x3 does have the distinction that there is (was?) another organization holding competitions, which other WCA events do not have.

icarneiro

I think 3x3 with feet kinda nasty
so, i dont like to watch, and i dont pratice, but I don't care if it's to remove or not