• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What events should be removed from the WCA events list?

• Clock

Votes: 128 46.9%
  • 7x7

Votes: 29 10.6%
  • 3x3 with feet

Votes: 103 37.7%
  • FMC

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Multiblind

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Pyraminx

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Skewb

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • Square-1

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • 3x3 OH

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • None of these

Votes: 104 38.1%

• Total voters

Hazel

Premium Member
None should be removed, they're all interesting in their own way. For example, feet is a really cool mix between TPS and really needing efficiency - almost like a middle ground between 3x3 and FMC. Clock is a twisty puzzle, even if not in the same way as all of the others. A lot of people, myself included, love the event and would be sad to see it go.
I think the WCA should be more focused on adding than removing, in my eyes the more variety the better.

WCA
2023FUKU01
Since I've made a thread on what events should be added, and many people thought events should be taken away before new ones were added, I decided to make a poll on it. 2x2-6x6 are not included because most people will agree are challenging yet don't take too long. Megaminx is also excluded largely for the same reason, furthermore because of its unique shape.
clock

Iwannaganx

I came at this for a community POV. The cubing community needs more followers and if we keep events such as multiblind and FMC these events aren't entertaining. I think we should:
REMOVE: FMC, multiblind, clock, and maybe feet.
ADD: 2BLD, and maybe a shape mod like mirror cube.
I think this would add to the community and help cubing grow as a sport

WCA
2023FUKU01
I came at this for a community POV. The cubing community needs more followers and if we keep events such as multiblind and FMC these events aren't entertaining. I think we should:
REMOVE: FMC, multiblind, clock, and maybe feet.
ADD: 2BLD, and maybe a shape mod like mirror cube.
I think this would add to the community and help cubing grow as a sport
add 2x2OH, 2x2FMC, master pyraminx and kibiminx.

Iwannaganx

2OH would be cool, but 2FMC encounters the same problem as FMC. It would have to have a time limit of at LEAST twenty minutes, and isn't a very spectator friendly event. Master pyraminx could be a good idea, and I don't know what kibiminx is? Is it kilominx? That could be a good addition...

Lapse.

WCA
2016WYNG01
REMOVE: FMC, multiblind
why? those are the most interesting events, although not the most spectator-friendly but there are already a ton of other more interesting spectator-friendly events like 3bld. Don't tell me solving 20 cubes at once is not amazing for a person who has had no exposure to speedcubing. Its still amazing for speedcubers who dont do blind.

Iwannaganx

why? those are the most interesting events, although not the most spectator-friendly but there are already a ton of other more interesting spectator-friendly events like 3bld. Don't tell me solving 20 cubes at once is not amazing for a person who has had no exposure to speedcubing. Its still amazing for speedcubers who dont do blind.
I guess not removing it is good as it is a cool event I know, but it takes a long time and if we add more events then we may have to cut things out to make times for all the events. If it's off in the back room or something, then it could be ok but then nobody will see it. It's a tough decision.

WCA
2023FUKU01
Not every events have to be spectator-friendly. Bld and FMC should not be removed.

Lapse.

WCA
2016WYNG01
we may have to cut things out to make times for all the events
im not a comp organizer but mbld and fmc both have a 1 hour limit, and the amount of people that actually attempt either of these will definitely not be as much as 3x3, so time issues probably might not be a valid point, but again i have not organized comps so i dont know the logistics of these events.

Iwannaganx

Yes but 1 hour for 1 person doing FMC could still take the same time as 10 people doing 3x3.
10 people times say 20 seconds per solve times 5 solves each is 1000 seconds. Add about a minute per solve for scrambles, inspection and anything else and you get another 3000 seconds. That's 4000 seconds or 66 mins total. Not exact but a similar time.
Btw I don't think multiblind has a a time limit as people attempt 60 cubes and stuff right? I could be wrong, I haven't gone to a comp and I don't know anything about multiblind, but idk

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Yes but 1 hour for 1 person doing FMC could still take the same time as 10 people doing 3x3.
10 people times say 20 seconds per solve times 5 solves each is 1000 seconds. Add about a minute per solve for scrambles, inspection and anything else and you get another 3000 seconds. That's 4000 seconds or 66 mins total. Not exact but a similar time.
Btw I don't think multiblind has a a time limit as people attempt 60 cubes and stuff right? I could be wrong, I haven't gone to a comp and I don't know anything about multiblind, but idk
MBLD is 10 minutes per cube, up to an hour total. FMC and MBLD are actually a lot easier to schedule, because unlike other events they take a pretty predictable amount of time.

As far as spectator friendly, that’s the most ridiculous criteria I’ve heard. Events are for competitors, if people like to watch that’s a nice little bonus.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Sure, it takes 1 hour for 1 person to do FMC, but it also takes 1 hour for 100 people to do FMC. Same thing goes for 3x3; multiple people are solving at once, so it's quite possible to fit ~100 competitors in an hour.

Iwannaganx

Sure, it takes 1 hour for 1 person to do FMC, but it also takes 1 hour for 100 people to do FMC. Same thing goes for 3x3; multiple people are solving at once, so it's quite possible to fit ~100 competitors in an hour.
Yeah that's true. But the point is are people going to go and watch FMC for an hour or will they watch multiple solves of 3x3 for an hour. Like I said, I'm trying to make it more spectator friendly. If cubing can't get more spectators, we have waaay less chance of growing the community.