• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Truth About Corner Cutting

ukrcuber

it's like, you've tighten the cubes and made this video just to show that they suck :)

Whyusosrs?

I was being serious. The point was not that the cubes can't cut corners well. I'm just sick of comments like "my guhng cn cUt cornres at 45 dgreeez even wen its tIght!!!!1111!!L OLMAOF2L !!1!!"
Can you show me a post of this? Just wondering.

It isn't true. My cubes aren't even that tight, as I clearly demonstrated with the Guhong. But you can see for yourself it doesn't cut corners very well at all.
Nope, your guhong is pretty dang tight.

This video is hilarious. Just my opinion, though.

EDIT: also, no one "needs" 45º corner cutting, but with 45º corner cutting, its just that much easier to cut 20º... which we can all agree is usually needed.

Last edited:

HelpCube

YouTube
Visit Channel
you can't really tell the truth about corner cutting, just because everybody has different tensions and slightly different cubes, so everybody's corner cutting will be different.

hawkmp4

EDIT: also, no one "needs" 45º corner cutting, but with 45º corner cutting, its just that much easier to cut 20º... which we can all agree is usually needed.
20 degrees is a significant amount. That's really sloppy turning if you need it.

Also, says who? My storebought cuts corners at ~10 degrees with as much force as my type D, but my storebought can't cut at ~27.5, and my DIY can. Just cause your cube can cut 45 degrees doesn't mean it's easier to cut at 20.

WCA
2010XING02
i don't really understand the people who say that you don't NEED corner-cutting. i thought corner-cutting was what separated new cubes from old ones. the better they can cut 20 degrees, the faster you can round that next corner and the faster your algs are? i mean, i can't see why this isn't true, in general. my u-perm on a guhong is noticeably faster and less likely to catch than on my old rubik's diy.

in terms of the reverse corner cutting, this is what makes the guhong for me, more than any other cube. i can't see myself using any other cube for OH than the guhong now, as i almost never lock up with it during practice, since it can handle something like 20 degrees reverse with a pinky R' easily. i haven't tried another cube that can cut 20 degrees backwards with almost no force.

in terms of your claim that your cube "isn't that tight" i have to really disagree. my guhong was set at a noticeably higher tension than any other guhong i tried at us nationals and as you can see from my video, it can cut about 40 degrees without much issue.

D

Deleted member 2864

Was it ever hard to cut a 20º corner in the first place? It's not like if you cube doesn't cut ~40º, you'll have to strain your muscles to cut a 20º angle in the first place, if that makes sense.

D

Deleted member 2864

My F-II cuts 40-45 degrees. Maybe yours doesn't. Not all cubes are the same.

That's true. I'm sure these mass produced items could easily have slight (or maybe not so slight) differences.

Have you measured or are you estimating this "40-45 degree" cut?

40 degrees is just past the line to line cut. 45 is pretty easy to tell.

Feryll

My cubes can cut FAR better than 45 degrees...Even my Rubik's brand can cut a whole 360, my guhong about 390.

WCA
2010MINE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My F-II cuts 40-45 degrees. Maybe yours doesn't. Not all cubes are the same.

That's true. I'm sure these mass produced items could easily have slight (or maybe not so slight) differences.

Have you measured or are you estimating this "40-45 degree" cut?

40 degrees is just past the line to line cut. 45 is pretty easy to tell.

Yeah. Line to line is very easy, and 45 is okay.

Inf3rn0

WCA
2009HOBB01
Ok after watching this I thought I had been wrong about what reverse corner cutting was, good to see I wasnt.

I like my cubes to be able to cut atleast on the line.

hic0057

WCA
2010HICK01
My cubes can cut FAR better than 45 degrees...Even my Rubik's brand can cut a whole 360, my guhong about 390.

My storebought can cut 90n degrees, for all integer n.
Beat that.

My cube can cut at 9000000000000000000000000000000000000 degrees. but usually after I turned one side that much my hands start hurting.

On topic, I think Dene either has terrible cubes from age or manufacture fault or that his cubes are to tight to cut corners. Tightness does effect corner cutting. Also if everybody says that we don't need corner cutting then why don't we take out all our spring in our D.I.Y making it turn much more easier and pop resistance and can cut around 10 degrees. Or buy Rubik's brand which can't cut at all but turns fast.

Lin@rt

I have all cubes Dene try in his video. I have much better corner cutting rates in every cube involved. I guess Dene have tighter tensions in his cubes. This video is a personal settings/preferences for cubes but "THE TRUTH ABOUT CORNER CUTTING", condidering the CAPS thing, is really pointless :p

Last edited:

IV