• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Truth About Corner Cutting

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's about time someone dispelled all the rumours going around about cubes cutting corners when they don't. Let everyone see for themselves how well their favourite cube really cuts corners.

Last edited by a moderator:

nck

That is not a really accurate representation of those cube's corner cutting abilities. Just because you choose to set them on a high tension doesn't mean that they cannot cut corners. It's like someone saying that their rubik pops like crazy when in fact they barely even screwed in the screws.

Also, just to let you know, the 'reverse corner cutting' shown in the video is just 'normal corner cutting'.

WCA
2010XING02
lol my guhong cuts about 40 degrees, and reverses about 20. not sure what you did there.... either it's set way too tight (i have mine set higher than most people i met at nationals, too), or you didn't put any lube in it.

and yeah, like nck said, you didn't do any reverse corner cutting in that video.

drewsopchak

WCA
2010SOPC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That is not a really accurate representation of those cube's corner cutting abilities. Just because you choose to set them on a high tension doesn't mean that they cannot cut corners. It's like someone saying that their rubik pops like crazy when in fact they barely even screwed in the screws.

Also, just to let you know, the 'reverse corner cutting' shown in the video is just 'normal corner cutting'.

:tu

I have a 2-month old A5 modded to a Haiyan Memory.
I have never played with the tension, and it is the same as when it came from the factory.

It cuts at a 45 degree angle, which is line to line.
Backwards cutting, sucks though.

And you said yourself, that you like the tension a bit tighter.
Also, I could be wrong about this, but it doesn't sound like there's any lube in those cubes.
So, not really that accurate of a video.

WCA
2010XING02

guhong cutting... pretty much normally for a guhong.

edit: it's kind of amazing that you can go so far as to assume that people are just making up numbers for what their cubes can cut. maybe i just got trolled? :fp i hope so lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

flan

Premium Member
WCA
2010REES03
My modded av is like his, but it locks up a reasonable amount so I hessitate to loosen it.