• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The TRUTH about Jig-A-Loo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zigosity

I really don't trust this stuff not to just ruin my cubes one day. It also really doesn't last very long at all : (.
...You realize that most Canadian cubers use Jig-a-loo, right? So do I, and I'm completely satisfied. (Jason Thong uses Motomaster, and Craig as well, but he got a can from a competition after Jason accidentally left it behind :p)

Well, yeah, I assumed that was the case =P.

I just don't like the whole softening thing, it makes me nervous >_>. Ignoring that, I've been pretty satisfied, too. It made my Type D = amazing. : D. And as for the lasting bit, well, I don't have anything to compare it to, so maybe alternatives wouldn't be any better.

-Zigo

Cuber2112

I wonder if it would be a good idea to use jigaloo to soften your cube and then later use CRC so that you dont "ruin" your cube so much....

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, CRC does almost exactly the same thing as Jigaloo (although I wonder if it might not be quite as bad about it). I've been trying using Cubelube first, followed by CRC (a few days later), in the hope that the Cubelube might coat the pieces and protect the cube from being eaten as much. But I'm not sure it works as well - I think my cubes aren't fast enough because I'm doing that.

Widebandit

Jig-a-loo - the facts

Jig-a-loo is BAD for cubes! The Jig-a-loo MSDS - Material Safety Data Sheet - shows it contains 30-60% Methylene Chloride - a plastic SOLVENT, and 10-30% Perchloroethane - dry cleaning fluid! Both of these will soften or even weld your cube into a solid block. There's a YouTube video of someone evaluating Jig-a-loo on some Dian-Sheng cubes and he does just that, he fuses one cube solid. BTW the Jig-a-loo MSDS does NOT list any kind of silicone, contradicting mfr's claim that it's silicone-based. I would be very wary of this product.

If you're not sure about a lube, find its MSDS and figure out whats in it.

That said, here's my thoughts on lube...

I have two original Hungarian cubes that I bought in Germany in the 80s and lubed with vaseline - they're still fine, no deterioration, no break-down. But vaseline is gunky and attracts dirt & grit; so I cleaned 'em up and switched to silicone.

The essential ingredient is Silicone oil, or Siloxane - CAS# 63148-62-9.
CAS stands for Chemical Abstracts Service. Every known chemical ingredient - including water - has a registered CAS# which is listed on a product's MSDS, and just about every MSDS is available on-line. Most mfr's have a PDF MSDS right on the product's web-page.

Silicone Aerosol Sprays...
No matter the brand - CRC, Pyroil, GE, ... - ALL silicone sprays are about 80% Heptane but only 8% silicone. Heptane is more commonly known as white-gas, Coleman fuel, or zero-octane gasoline - an effective solvent/lube for a gumed-up lock or throttle linkage, but probably not something you would want to spray into your cube. And since the standard aerosol propellant is propane, silicone sprays are EXTREMELY flammable! Isn't it nice to know that a 10oz can of silicone spray contains 8oz of gasoline but less than an ounce of silicone? That's about $30 per gallon of low-grade gas. If you use a spray - just do one quick squirt at a time and make sure the Hep completely evaporates before you put the cube down.

My preference...
I lube my cubes with two water-based silicone protectants: ArmorAll Original Protectant or STP Son-of-a-gun - both work equally well. They contain 15-20% Silicone oil in a water-based emulsion, plus a bit of UV blocker. I've used these to render even hopelessly tight Winning-Moves cubes into nearly speedable instruments or maybe good training cubes. I apply lightly to the interior of the cube with a #4 artist's brush. These two lubes are good, cheap, intended for plastics, won't fuse your cube, and won't blow up your house....WaW...Petrus rocks!

You don't solve the cube - you solve yourself around the cube.

blah

brah
Hardcore.

Very informative, we've been needing someone like this in our community for a while now :) (We've only had comments based on experiences so far, this is probably the first comment based entirely on technical knowledge, at least it's the first I've come across.)

Edit: I LOLed at #4 artist's brush - you really are hardcore!

Vulosity

YouTube
Visit Channel
I bought a can of Jigaloo 4 days ago. I really like it better than CRC. None of my cubes have 'glued' up since I've been using it.

I tried spraying it on a Rubik's store corner to see if it melted plastic. But, it didn't melt.

Weiseguy

YouTube
Visit Channel
Jig-a-loo is BAD for cubes! The Jig-a-loo MSDS - Material Safety Data Sheet - shows it contains 30-60% Methylene Chloride - a plastic SOLVENT, and 10-30% Perchloroethane - dry cleaning fluid! Both of these will soften or even weld your cube into a solid block. There's a YouTube video of someone evaluating Jig-a-loo on some Dian-Sheng cubes and he does just that, he fuses one cube solid. BTW the Jig-a-loo MSDS does NOT list any kind of silicone, contradicting mfr's claim that it's silicone-based. I would be very wary of this product.

If you're not sure about a lube, find its MSDS and figure out whats in it.

That said, here's my thoughts on lube...

I have two original Hungarian cubes that I bought in Germany in the 80s and lubed with vaseline - they're still fine, no deterioration, no break-down. But vaseline is gunky and attracts dirt & grit; so I cleaned 'em up and switched to silicone.

The essential ingredient is Silicone oil, or Siloxane - CAS# 63148-62-9.
CAS stands for Chemical Abstracts Service. Every known chemical ingredient - including water - has a registered CAS# which is listed on a product's MSDS, and just about every MSDS is available on-line. Most mfr's have a PDF MSDS right on the product's web-page.

Silicone Aerosol Sprays...
No matter the brand - CRC, Pyroil, GE, ... - ALL silicone sprays are about 80% Heptane but only 8% silicone. Heptane is more commonly known as white-gas, Coleman fuel, or zero-octane gasoline - an effective solvent/lube for a gumed-up lock or throttle linkage, but probably not something you would want to spray into your cube. And since the standard aerosol propellant is propane, silicone sprays are EXTREMELY flammable! Isn't it nice to know that a 10oz can of silicone spray contains 8oz of gasoline but less than an ounce of silicone? That's about $30 per gallon of low-grade gas. If you use a spray - just do one quick squirt at a time and make sure the Hep completely evaporates before you put the cube down.

My preference...
I lube my cubes with two water-based silicone protectants: ArmorAll Original Protectant or STP Son-of-a-gun - both work equally well. They contain 15-20% Silicone oil in a water-based emulsion, plus a bit of UV blocker. I've used these to render even hopelessly tight Winning-Moves cubes into nearly speedable instruments or maybe good training cubes. I apply lightly to the interior of the cube with a #4 artist's brush. These two lubes are good, cheap, intended for plastics, won't fuse your cube, and won't blow up your house....WaW...Petrus rocks!

You don't solve the cube - you solve yourself around the cube.

Can you post a video of your technique of lubing as well as your cube's? I've never heard of "painting" my lube in.

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I apply lightly to the interior of the cube with a #4 artist's brush. These two lubes are good, cheap, intended for plastics, won't fuse your cube, and won't blow up your house....WaW...Petrus rocks!
Can you post a video of your technique of lubing as well as your cube's? I've never heard of "painting" my lube in.
!!!!! I thought I was the only one who applies lube with a paintbrush :eek:

Zarxrax

As far as alternative lubricants, I tried doing a bit of research on what kind of lubricants would work well for plastic, and here are some suggestions that I arrived at after some googling:
Silicon Grease
Teflon Spray/Grease
Helical Grease
White Lithium Grease

Anyone tried these?

Vulosity

YouTube
Visit Channel
The only reason I bought Jigaloo was to see some melting action, and I haven't seen any yet.

Apparently, for $3, it's really good as a lube.

h5n1

Something that works really well is suede impregantion, which contains silicone, now my cube is lubed and waterproof :p

Twofu2

I lubed a corner piece of my old cube with jigaloo, and I dug through it with my nail, it definitly melts or weakens the plastic of your cube, for only a little bit though.

HowSuneIsNow

WCA
2009DAVI03
if you use a little bit of jigaloo at a time it won;t melt. it;s the accelerant that makes it dissolve NOT the lube. always spray the jigaloo upright. if you tilt the can too much you will get a mixture of too much acelerant and not much lube. I bend the straw 90 degrees to really get into the cube.

If you're really worried spray it into another container and then use an eye dropper or paint brush to apply it after it stops smelling like accelerant.

Status
Not open for further replies.