• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

ThatGuy

WCA
2010GUSH01
HELP ME I can't do cmll. I can't do the corner orientation and I need ergent help. What am I doing wrong
First, recognize the corner orientation. https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1S_y2evAxJ2vMMFDtfGSOsgHuDMYR-sEjoEU_mtSD7Qc/

For example, everything under H means there are no Yellow stickers on the U face, and the Yellow stickers are pointing in opposite directions.

Then, adjust the cube such that the relative color positions match. As an example, look at H-columns. You want to hold it such that the yellow stickers are pointing at you and away from you. Then, "columns" describes how the non-yellow stickers are arranged. As you can clearly see, they are arranged in two columns, orange and red. But what happens if you have columns, but they aren't orange and red? Well, the actual color doesn't matter. What matters is that you have columns and the left column color is the one opposite to the right column color. So, blue green columns also work. This applies to all the cases: look at the colors' relationships to each other, not the actual color displayed on the case. On Kian's spreadsheet he also gives clues of how to recognize the cases (columns, forward slash, etc.) so follow those.

WolfX

Ok so I navigated to the cube timer program by ruwix and I got the following scramble yesterday:

D' B D' B2 F' R2 U' L2 B' D R' B U' F' U F2 D2 R' U B2 and I tried to write down the moves for the first and second block as I'm practising on block building only for the first and second block. So here is my first few moves for the first block: y' // inspection
B2 F U // 1x2x2
x U R2 U2 R' U2 // first block. Then I observed that I can make the pair with the yellow-red-green corner and the red-green edge by just doing a U move, but that breaks up the first block I was experimenting on how to make this idea work but I didn't find a solution. So I need help with this on how to solve the second block quite fast because I struggle making the second block. Also the problem with this idea is that the green-yellow edge is connected to the yellow-red-green corner which prevents me from making the second 1x2x2 block without reinserting the edge in the green side. I also need help with expanding the second 1x2x2 block to the second 1x2x3 block so any suggestions for this problem are welcome.

narusite

Hi,
full disclosure: I'm not an expert (sub-40) and I still struggle with SB.
There is a lot of pieces close together and not ideally oriented…

In your case, the best I could come up with is:

Code:
y'x2 // inspection
F2 B D B R2 B2 R' B2 //FB
U M U' M' U' R U Rw U2 R M U R'

Some other tries I've done:
Code:
y'x2 // inspection
U R U' R2 U Rw' U' R M U M' Rw U R'
Code:
y'x2 // inspection
R' U' Rw' U M' U2 Rw' U' R2 U M U' M2 U R'
Code:
y'x2 // inspection
Rw2 U2 M2 Rw U R2 U' R U M2 U2 Rw' U R
Code:
y'x2 // inspection
Rw' U2 M' Rw U M R U M' U' R2 U' Rw' U' R
Code:
y'x2 // inspection
U R' U' Rw U R' U' R2 U R2 M U2 R' U R
Code:
y'x2 // inspection
M' U R' U R2 U2 R2 U' M' U' M Rw' U' R
Code:
y'x2 // inspection
R' U' Rw' U M' U2 Rw' U' R2 U' M2 U' M' U' R'

I've also tried different FB and here is what I found:
blue yellow
Code:
x //inspection
R' U2 M' u U M B

blue yellow
Code:
x
M' B R M2 u R2 u2

orange yellow
Code:
x2
R' F R B2 F' R F2

green yellow
Code:
yx
M' U' R B' U' M' Rw F

Hopefully, someone will help you better than me!

Etotheipi

Im having trouble in SB when the edges I need to pair are in DF or DB, and are hard to see, so I end up just blindly doing M moves to bring them into view, often resulting in the corner being mispaired with the edge. how should I handle it better?

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Im having trouble in SB when the edges I need to pair are in DF or DB, and are hard to see, so I end up just blindly doing M moves to bring them into view, often resulting in the corner being mispaired with the edge. how should I handle it better?

Disclaimer: I'm not a Roux user and am bad with it, so this might be totally wrong

Can't you just to a quick glance at the bottom/back of the cube to see what the two colors are on the edge piece? (obviously one color isn't enough, as both edge pieces in SB share one color)

Etotheipi

Disclaimer: I'm not a Roux user and am bad with it, so this might be totally wrong

Can't you just to a quick glance at the bottom/back of the cube to see what the two colors are on the edge piece? (obviously one color isn't enough, as both edge pieces in SB share one color)
yeah, i guess so lol i should try that XD (im dumb)

Jupilogy

YouTube
Visit Channel
...So I need help with this on how to solve the second block quite fast because I struggle making the second block.

Following on from @narusite 's examples, here's how I'd deal with that case:

Code:
y'x2 // inspection
F2 B D B R2 B2 R' B2 // FB

U R U'
// Constructs the pair and returns the green yellow edge to its position.

r2 U r' U' R
// Inserting that pair.
// I used a wide r2 to get the remaining green orange piece on the bottom,
// because I didn't want it next to the green orange yellow corner it needs to match up with later.
// To be honest, I wouldn't have noticed that corner in a speedsolve.

U R U R'
// A nice and easy insert for the last pair.

---

The best option would be to spot them during the last couple of moves of first block, which you can practice by doing those last moves slowly. If you haven't spotted them, though, looking around the cube is good. If you've found some of them, but not all of them, you can probably find the rest by solving the ones you can see first.

Etotheipi

The best option would be to spot them during the last couple of moves of first block, which you can practice by doing those last moves slowly. If you haven't spotted them, though, looking around the cube is good. If you've found some of them, but not all of them, you can probably find the rest by solving the ones you can see first.
Ok, thanks, ill try that.

Pyjam

Premium Member
I think the look-ahead is one of the more difficult aspects of the Roux method.

If during the inspection, you plan not only the first block but also the DR edge (you want to know where it will land), you may follow the 2 edges of the second block while you're executing the FB.

It's easier to say than to do.