• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

narusite

Hi, (not-so) quick questions for the second block in roux.
I'm aware of things like "SB last slot" and "Kian SB last slot"
But I'm not very advanced, I don't plan to be sub 10. I'm currently between 30 and 40, with occasional solves below or above.

I've seen/heard things like "orient edges" or "well oriented edge" for the second block.
I thought that it meant that you can insert them with R/U only, that is if the R face is red, a well-oriented edge is one that is not red on U face.
For instance, when doing RUR' (RU'R') on a solved cube, the UF (UB) edge is well oriented be cause if you do RU'R' (RUR') you can insert it.
I am correct?

I mostly use intuitive SB (that is I haven't (and don't plan to) learn the algs on the previous links), and try to orient the edge w/r to the matching corner on the U face.
For instance, with RU'R' U2, I'll tend to do M' U2 Rw U Rw': I flip the edge and not the corner.
Should I try to break that habit and orient the edge if possible?

Last question: when there is a pair already done (usually with DR) I "pannick" a little bit trying to not break the pair inserting the first edge and then the pair.
For instance (without thinking of the RF pair) with R2URU'Rw'U'RU, I'll do something like store the first pair in the R face, then flip the edge, and insert the pair: U'R'UM'URUR2U'R2. It always seems a little bit far-fetched when reasoning like that. Do you have some tips?

Also, if you have some tips you'd like to share, some realisations like:
if a corner is in place, place the edge on the D face, then R U (or U2 depending on the orientation and position of the edge) M' (or M2) U'R.
This works better for me than quicker things like RU'M'UR'. I'll instead do U Rw U M2 U' R (well, it's not that longer in this case, but you get the idea)

Or a beginner tip for Step 4b - Finish L/R-sides I "discovered" not so early…
when one edge is on D and the other is on U between two corners of the R or L face, you can save a few moves (cancelation) by not putting both edges on the D face.
put them diagonnally on the M slice and move one of the edge betwen the two corners of the opposite face and then finish normally with U2 M/M'.
Let's say that L is orange and R is red, that you have red on bottom and orange on top.
- if orange is between the two red corners, you put the red edge on the U face between the two orange corners example
- if orange is between the two orange corners, you put the orange edge between the two red corners example

Thanks for reading if you've made this far. You all have been of a great help with your posts.

GuRoux

WCA
2014TANG03
YouTube
franktangtartharakul
Usually the definition of oriented for edges is if you can solve it using only R, U, L and D moves. On average, solving pairs with oriented edges are only a little bit faster than the unoriented case. It takes a lot of skill to really take advantage of these differences. At the beginner level, it won't help much to obsess over influencing edge orientation. Just try to do the solutions that are faster to do. For the "panic" case, it depends. The case you showed is difficult to solve the square. I would just solve DR and the corner with U' R2 and work on the other pair.

notme

Why is the color orientation in alg cubing net different than what I learned already? I tried the roux "example solve " game and am completely thrown off by the color change.
Maybe I could start with xyz moves to orient to the "standard" way.
Is this about being color neutral?

porkynator

WCA
2011TRON02
YouTube
PorkyDays
Why is the color orientation in alg cubing net different than what I learned already? I tried the roux "example solve " game and am completely thrown off by the color change.
Maybe I could start with xyz moves to orient to the "standard" way.
Is this about being color neutral?
alg.cubing.net uses white on top and green on front, which is the standard orientation.

Want to hide this ad and support the community?