• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Cubing Discussion

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Generally speaking direct solving methods get worse as the cube size increases.

That's probably true, it was just a random Idea, hence the random discussion thread.

And another thing: If on an even layered cube, you placed the corners in a solvable position, is every combination of the other peices solvable?

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
And another thing: If on an even layered cube, you placed the corners in a solvable position, is every combination of the other peices solvable?

Yep.

Anyway, I don't think every direct solving method suffers as badly.

Cage is pretty bad because of all the centre comms. I think K4 and Redux give comparable times on 7x7x7. If I could do centres and pair four edges as fast as dan our times would be about the same.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Even I don't do this. 6x6x6 sucks to turn when it isn't on qCube.
Surely some people have good 6x6x6s, though, right? I mean, considering the tps some people get.

Would this be a good way to solve big-cubes:

3 centres around one corner
Pair the 3 edges + 1 corner to make a N-1xN-1xN-1 block
Finish centres
Pair up one CE pair so that only R&U are left to solve
Solve petrus-style 2-Gen stage
Nope. Once you've got those 3 centers made, there's no way to pair edges other than the standard reduction style (2 or more at once). So this can't be more efficient than Reduction+Petrus, and will probably be worse, because the order of steps doesn't always let you take advantage of easy cases on future centers/edges.

Roux-by-4/KBCM doesn't work so well on bigger cubes, because the centers+columns with <2R,3R,...,U> step starts to break when +centers get involved. As far as K4 on 7x7x7, no clue whether this can compete with Redux on the highest level (I'd have to try it on the sim a few times but I can't think of a nice hand position for it). It's entirely possible that Dan's edges are lacking in lookahead, or that Kir's edge comms have very high tps.

Last edited:
...such as lighting ones always being on the left

when I see a lightning bolt I always AUF, so the oriented Corner is at UFL (Sune case) or UBL (Antisune case)
The Sune/Antisune case can be predicted by looking at any corner. And my algs are that way that I don't need additional AUF afterwards.

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I forgot to mention that I'm also doing the same thing with PLL. a 1x3 block (Ja,Jb,F) always goes on the Left hand side (Except U-perms that are easy enough to spot and I solve from two orientations each anyway), 2x2 goes in UFL (I changed my A perms so that they fitted my V-Perm orientation, so I just place the block and know the PLL based on the stickers to either side of the block). All I need to do is redo my R-Perms (which I've never been happy with) so that they have headlights on the left and then they'll match up with my G-Perms.

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I thought that would be useful back when I was finishing PLL, but it limits your alg choice too much. Just get used to recognizing from multiple angles, after hundreds of solves you sorta just "auto-AUF" without really thinking. You should be able to recognize V perm by simply seeing a 2x2 block + diagonal corners (opp stickers on each face) or by seeing the pattern it makes on the other side of the block.

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
oh, I'm getting better at pll recognition, but I suck at some angles (the non block faces of V-perm, or any G-perm angle where you can't see the 2 block), I think I'll need to spend time properly working on 2 face recognition.

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
Cage is pretty bad because of all the centre comms.
Lol, there's much more in solving centers last than just niklas niklas niklas. Learning to use 4-move comms and thus reducing the move couny by a lot allows to go much faster than you seem to think.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I forgot to mention that I'm also doing the same thing with PLL. a 1x3 block (Ja,Jb,F) always goes on the Left hand side (Except U-perms that are easy enough to spot and I solve from two orientations each anyway), 2x2 goes in UFL (I changed my A perms so that they fitted my V-Perm orientation, so I just place the block and know the PLL based on the stickers to either side of the block). All I need to do is redo my R-Perms (which I've never been happy with) so that they have headlights on the left and then they'll match up with my G-Perms.

This kind of stuff will hurt you in the long run and probably not help in the short run.

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Lol, there's much more in solving centers last than just niklas niklas niklas. Learning to use 4-move comms and thus reducing the move couny by a lot allows to go much faster than you seem to think.

My main method used to be cage, no need to patronise.

I was talking about the problems with using so many inner slice moves that alternate between adjacent axis. Not great to fingertrick.

ben1996123

Banned
WCA
2009WHIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So... Lightake has this:
sku_27093_1.jpg

named as "LL Color Heart Rice Dumpling Magic IQ Test Color Cube White"

I lold.

Last edited: