• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Cubing Discussion

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Right. @Nmile7300 are you basing the tier on WCA puzzles?
I didn't base this off on non-WCA because many of the companies on the tier list (I didn't make this) don't even make non WCA cubes. I could make a separate list for non-WCA, but I'd have to remove Valk, Gan, Guoguan, etc. and replace them with companies that only make non-WCA.

EDIT: Non WCA tier list
Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 11.11.56 AM.png

Last edited:

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree with all of it except Dayan should be in S tier because a) Dayan cubes are AWESOME b) Dayan means "goose" in Chinese which alongside the holy duck is objectively the best animal.
Yeah for sure. I just feel like they need a more complete lineup of cubes first. Also geese are amazing

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
Also, Tier List Thread anyone?

MethodNeutral

I wasn't sure where else to post this, but I had a proposal/question about cubing terminology.

As many of us know, "Lookahead" refers to the process of determining what the next step of your solve will be while still executing the current step. This is done to reduce pauses.

However, "Lookahead" is almost exclusively used to refer to the intuitive part of solves. I think there should be a similar term, "Lookinto", which refers to this same concept when applied to the algorithmic part of solves. I don't believe this has a term yet, other than "Prediction" which is often used informally when this topic is discussed.

Some examples of Lookinto include:
  • [CFOP/ZZ] Predicting AUF after PLL
  • [CFOP/ZZ] Predicting PLL (or just CP case) after OLL
  • [CFOP] Using non-standard algs for 2-look OLL in order to predict the second look (link to Jperm's video on the topic)
  • [Roux] Predicting EO before executing CMLL and/or using a different CMLL alg for a better EO case
  • [Roux] EOLR (this borders on lookahead since this is an intuitive step, so its inclusion is debatable)
While these are the more-or-less standard applications of Lookinto, there is more potential for the concept. For example, we can choose to use COLL algs which preserve a 1x2x2 block in LL in order to Lookinto EPLL. This can lead to 1LLL for many cases when edges are oriented (does not apply to H/Pi cases).

I'm interested to hear your thoughts! Does this already have a name, or do you think we shouldn't introduce this new term? What other applications of Lookinto can you think of?