• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Cubing Discussion

gateway cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
My mind was just blown, chris tran has once again revolutionized cubing

I did the math and if runners and scramblers did this at a comp with approx. 2000 solves (about a 100 person comp) it could save up to 76 minutes! that's an hour and a quarter!

Cale S

WCA
2014SCHO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
My mind was just blown, chris tran has once again revolutionized cubing

I did the math and if runners and scramblers did this at a comp with approx. 2000 solves (about a 100 person comp) it could save up to 76 minutes! that's an hour and a quarter!

While it is a good method to use, as some others have pointed out it would not actually save that much time in a real comp, because scramblers are pretty much always ahead of the solving/judging so that they always have cubes ready, meaning scrambling more efficiently wouldn't save more time

I also think that it is more important for the scrambler to do their job accurately, and the runner (not necessary at comps but most have them) to be as quick as possible to run the comp smoothly

gateway cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Um, I don't see your point, considering scramblers are technically behind the rate of solving due to having to wait for a competitor to solve in order to receive a cube for scrambling. If I'm missing your point please re-explain but I really do think that scrambling this way could allow for an entire extra event at most comps...

Cale S

WCA
2014SCHO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Um, I don't see your point, considering scramblers are technically behind the rate of solving due to having to wait for a competitor to solve in order to receive a cube for scrambling. If I'm missing your point please re-explain but I really do think that scrambling this way could allow for an entire extra event at most comps...

In my experience of scrambling, the scramblers always have scrambled cubes ready and are waiting for solves to be completed. At this point, scrambling faster won't help you because the cubes won't be solved any faster.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel

gateway cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
In my experience of scrambling, the scramblers always have scrambled cubes ready and are waiting for solves to be completed. At this point, scrambling faster won't help you because the cubes won't be solved any faster.
I can see how this would apply to finals and events with very few competitors, but the cubers outnumber the scramblers so wouldn't they be receiving cubes faster than they scramble them?

Cale S

WCA
2014SCHO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can see how this would apply to finals and events with very few competitors, but the cubers outnumber the scramblers so wouldn't they be receiving cubes faster than they scramble them?

At first the scramblers are behind because everyone is waiting on them, but because it takes less time to scramble than to complete a solve the scramblers will eventually always have cubes ready for the runners

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
At first the scramblers are behind because everyone is waiting on them, but because it takes less time to scramble than to complete a solve the scramblers will eventually always have cubes ready for the runners

Eh, this isn't always the case. There are plenty of events where having slow scramblers IS a problem. Whenever we host Clock or Square-1, it takes a little extra work to put together a good Scrambler Schedule to ensure that we have adequate scramblers that can move through the group as fast as we can. Otherwise the scramblers will, indeed, hold up the entire show. But even there, we focus on people who can scramble accurately as opposed to who can scramble quickly. Because a repeat scramble will cost the competition even more time, and a misscramble can cost the competitor their record.

The MOST important job of a scrambler is to ensure that the cube is scrambled correctly. If someone doesn't wanna take a few extra seconds to make sure that you scrambled the cube correctly, they should not be doing that job. Accuracy is a thousand times more important than speed. I don't know how many One-Handed NR/CR/WR's we have to put in jeopardy before this is obvious.

Just don't ever stack the covers.

Last edited:

xyzzy

A classmate just told me that the cutoff for 4×4×4 at Singapore Open dropped from 70 seconds to 60 seconds…

I'm guessing it's not possible to improve by ten seconds in two days, RIP.