• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations Question Thread

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
For the weekly competition (the "Competition" link above)? No. Only the single random drawing each week for a TheCubicle.com gift card. No other prizes are given. This is all just for fun, and I try to keep results legitimate to increase the fun for everyone who takes it seriously. There are no prizes other than the random drawing which happens each week.

If you're talking about regular official WCA competitions, then yes, some prizes, usually cubing store gift cards, are given.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There is no requirement for prizes at WCA competitions. Smaller local competitions will usually have certificates at a minimum, and potentially some gift cards to cube stores if the competitions are sponsored (often these gift cards are under 20 USD). Bigger competitions like Worlds or continental championships will usually have cash prizes, on the order of hundreds of USD for less popular events and often in the thousands for 3x3. You can usually check on the competition's website for this information.

Currently, you generally can't make that much money from WCA competitions (unless you're one of the fastest cubers in the world, and at that point most of the money usually comes from sponsorships anyway). Competitions are more for having fun, meeting new people, and setting your own personal goals. :)

Romy4

What are the rules about getting corner twists or pops in a competition? Do you just put the pieces back or is it a DNF?

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Article 5 of the regulations covers puzzle defects. I'd suggest that you read the whole thing, both since its pretty short and because any cuber should be pretty familiar with the regulations. Either way, here are the main parts of it:

Regulation section 5b3 covers what you're allowed to do when something happens:
  • 5b3a) If any parts have fallen out or moved out of place, the competitor may place them back.
  • 5b3b) If the competitor repairs the puzzle but finds that the puzzle is unsolvable later during the solve, they may disassemble and reassemble a maximum of 4 pieces to make the puzzle solvable.

Regulation section 5b5 covers what happens if there's still something wrong with the puzzle after you've stopped the solve (at which point you can't touch the puzzle):
  • 5b5) If some parts of the puzzle are physically detached or not fully placed at the end of the solve, the following regulations apply:
    • 5b5a) If one or more parts without colored faces (eg. 4x4 internal pieces) are affected, the puzzle is considered solved.
    • 5b5b) If one part with one colored face (eg. a center cap or a big cube center) is affected, the puzzle is considered solved.
    • 5b5c) If more than one part with one colored face (eg. more than one center piece) is affected, the puzzle is considered unsolved (DNF).
    • 5b5d) If one or more parts with more than one colored face are affected (eg. a corner twist), the puzzle is considered unsolved (DNF).

Waffles

What happens if after I start my solve I go into a sneezing fit that lasts a really long time?
In all seriousness I would just DNF the solve.

This actually happened to me during a solve in my first competition - in 2019, so obviously I was slow but I still got a decent time (for then - about 1:15) and a Megaminx solve during the competition this week which I DNFed because it was already bad enough

thomas.sch

WCA
2018SCHU17
It it possible to submit different 3x3 cubes for Multiblind in an offical WCA competition? So different sizes (eg. 54mm and 56mm) and some of the cubes stickered and some stickerless? (All cubes fulfill the requierments for a competion and all cubes do not have any logo)

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
It it possible to submit different 3x3 cubes for Multiblind in an offical WCA competition? So different sizes (eg. 54mm and 56mm) and some of the cubes stickered and some stickerless? (All cubes fulfill the requirements for a competion and all cubes do not have any logo)
According to Article H of the official WCA regulations, there is no stipulation that the cubes must all be the same. The only requirements relating to puzzle uniformity are that you must submit to the organization team the number of cubes you wish to attempt, and you cannot change this number.
Other than that, the only requirements are that all of the cubes you submit must be WCA legal, so no mirror cubes or cubes that are missing an excessive number of stickers, et cetera.

thomas.sch

WCA
2018SCHU17
Ok. Thank you. The "legal" part is clear! So it could be said: alle 3x3x3 cubes that are valid for a single 3x3x3 or OH event can be submitted BUT: without logo.

Then there is no need to buy 5 new cubes ;-)

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
eAccording to Article H of the official WCA regulations, there is no stipulation that the cubes must all be the same. The only requirements relating to puzzle uniformity are that you must submit to the organization team the number of cubes you wish to attempt, and you cannot change this number.
Other than that, the only requirements are that all of the cubes you submit must be WCA legal, so no mirror cubes or cubes that are missing an excessive number of stickers, et cetera.
It seems strange that you couldn't have a little sticker or even a printed on logo that isn't going to help you at all but you could have completely different cubes. I could use an MS, a YLM m, and a Qiyi QiMeng Plus for MBLD. These cubes are very different and I could more easily link the memo to the solve than if I had a printed logo.

thomas.sch

WCA
2018SCHU17
I think the reason for the logo ban was not to impede the identification of different cubes. The reason was (special for M2 solvers) that you can identify if the white side is up or down => so you know the whole edge part if you are on even or odd and also if you don't remember if you have parity or not you can feel it.

And the reason to ban printed logos (eg. GAN) was, that it is often possible to feel the logo, also if it is not a sticker.

The link to the memo is in fact one reason why I consider to use different cubes! I had at home while practicing the case the I nudged the cubes and it was no problem to find out which cube was already solved because I do the 4 cubes every time in the same order.

But the main reason is that I will not spend about 100$ for 5 good magnetic cubes because I already have 6 good cubes that I can use for Multi BLD.