• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations Question Thread

HelpCube

YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread is for asking one-answer questions about WCA Competitions and Regulations.

A few weeks ago, I signed up my friend for a competition, listing his country as USA. The competition already happened, and my friend wants to know if there is any way he can change his country in the WCA, as he was born in Kenya.

Last edited by a moderator:

pdilla

If you pop during a BLD solve, I'm guessing you either take the DNF or have fun playing a game of warmer/colder or does that count as "assistance"?

Schmidt

WCA
2012SCHM07
I think you are on your own ( plus good luck putting it in the right way [50% success/failure] if you find the piece)
It would be funny if 2 guhongs popped at the same time and they found the piece from the other cube and when they take the blindfold off, they would have an unsolved cube with too many [green] pieces in it.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you pop during a BLD solve, I'm guessing you either take the DNF or have fun playing a game of warmer/colder or does that count as "assistance"?

The game of warmer/colder would definitely be assistance, and would result in a DNF. The right thing to do if you pop is to put the pieces back in while blindfolded, and get lucky putting them in correctly. Of course, the same is true if you drop the cube - the correct way to continue is to pick the cube back up, and get lucky by choosing the correct orientation.

That's why I make sure all my cubes are virtually unpoppable, even if that means other people think they're too stiff. I hate DNFs.

Matt11111

WCA
2014PINN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
The game of warmer/colder would definitely be assistance, and would result in a DNF. The right thing to do if you pop is to put the pieces back in while blindfolded, and get lucky putting them in correctly. Of course, the same is true if you drop the cube - the correct way to continue is to pick the cube back up, and get lucky by choosing the correct orientation.

That's why I make sure all my cubes are virtually unpoppable, even if that means other people think they're too stiff. I hate DNFs.

That must be really sucky. But great for blindsolving.

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
I recently thought to put transparent Aosu internals into my main Aosu just for fun. Would that be comp legal? I personally don't see why it should be but asking just to be sure.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
No DNF:
5b5b) If one part with one coloured face is affected, the puzzle is considered solved.

I guess I'd consider this somewhat challenging. With the center piece popped out, two of the corners will be free-floating. If they're nicely nestled in place and not moved around at all, I guess I'd probably consider it still solved (although I'd definitely write it up as an incident in a delegate report), but if one of them were even slightly out of place (twisted even a little bit), I'd really be unsure, and have a tendency to think it's probably a DNF. And I suspect that would require that the missing piece be the top center (since otherwise one of the corner slides down). After all, there's this guideline:
5b5++++) EXAMPLE Example of parts physically attached but not fully placed, resulting in a "DNF": a 3x3x3 edge piece slightly popped out.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
I know this is a stupid question, but it just happened to me at home so I want to ask it anyway.

Consider the situation where I'm one move away from from solving the puzzle, and then it slips out of my hands, rolls off the table and onto the floor, and then slides under another table. Knowing it's only one move away, I stop the timer, hoping for just a +2 penalty.

Obviously, I can't touch the puzzle before the judge has inspected it, and the judge needs to be certain that I don't, so is it up to the judge to go look for the puzzle under the other table?

cubizh

WCA
2014GOME07
YouTube
Visit Channel
Obviously, I can't touch the puzzle before the judge has inspected it, and the judge needs to be certain that I don't, so is it up to the judge to go look for the puzzle under the other table?
It's the judge's task to inspect the puzzle after the competitor stops the timer. Organizers should set up solving stations where that problem doesn't happen.

lerenard

If there are two events scheduled for the same block of time in a competition, can I only compete in one ?