• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations Question Thread

TheSlykrCubr

This Hellhole We Know As The British Isles
YouTube
Visit Channel
This was already mentioned in the upcoming puzzles thread but is the new Diansheng 5x5 putting their logo on the "corner center" and not directly center piece WCA legal? Because WCA regs say the logo must be on a center piece, which is not clear if they mean the very center piece.
yea that should be alright. If it says "a" centre piece, then it good

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
WCA regulations 3l1 state:
"The logo must be placed on a center piece. Exceptions for puzzles that do not have center pieces:"
So I guess any center piece

xyzzy

That doesn't seem to fit the spirit in which this rule was intended. I think the WCA should make a specific ruling on this; I suspect there will be at least some pushback on allowing this.
They already did.

3l1+) CLARIFICATION On NxNxN puzzles, a center piece is any piece with a single colored part. For example, the 5x5x5 Cube has 9 center pieces on each face.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
as long as it fits the wca regs, so it doesn't give you an unfair advantage (ex. the puzzle turns differently or allows you to see through to other sides or something)

modded cubes like type A's and modded shengshous used to be very popular like a decade ago for high level competing.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It should satisfy the WCA regs and guidelines, under the puzzle section. As long as it is not giving unfair advantage, and is of proper form and in compliance with the regs, modded puzzles are fine.

Fun fact, florian modded big cubes were common, in the shengshou era (2012-2014), so there was lot of modding in the cubing community before good puzzles were made.

pyrapyravince

as long as it fits the wca regs, so it doesn't give you an unfair advantage (ex. the puzzle turns differently or allows you to see through to other sides or something)

modded cubes like type A's and modded shengshous used to be very popular like a decade ago for high level competing.

what would be an unfair advantage?

Reactions: qwr

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
what would be an unfair advantage?
The main advantages that are easy to give are things like transparency so that you can see through the cube to identify pieces without having to rotate/tilt the cube, although in practice, at a high level, this would be very hard to take advantage of.
Other "advantages" could be things like installing motors in the cube to solve itself.

cometcubes

WCA
2022AYER01
is cubingusa's regional comps for 2021 cancelled? I haven't been looking very hard, but they could just not have announced it yet.

also sorry if this doesn't belong here, i didnt see a better place to put this

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
is cubingusa's regional comps for 2021 cancelled? I haven't been looking very hard, but they could just not have announced it yet.

also sorry if this doesn't belong here, i didnt see a better place to put this
1617412565695.png
There aren't any regional competitions planned in the US due to the COVID-19 pandemic besides the Western Championship, which itself is even tentatively going to be postponed or cancelled.