• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

thefullmooner

Hi Guys,

2 weeks ago i bought a cube (3x3) now iám learning solving this via fridrich.
I can solve the F2L but now i'am stuck at the OLL and PLL part of Fridrich.

I found a couple of sheets with the algorithms from OLL and PLL but eeuh...
did you guys realy learn this all out of your head?

I mean i'aint stupid and i can learn things out of my head but both OLL and PLL are like 78 diffirent algs!

I there some kind of memorization trick?
How did you guys start to learn this?

Is there a step in between to reach the goal?

Dyste

It's easier if you get the cross and then just use one of the 7 OLL cases that have to do with edges already oriented. (found here: http://exocorsair.110mb.com/?page_id=6) You can then use that supposed COLL case from that video (it's actually an A-Perm alg), until you have an U-Perm case. Then, well, perform the U-Perm that applies.

Jilvin

First off, learn the 3 Edge orientation and then 7 Corner orientation algorithms before doing anything.

And instead of trying to learn an algorithm by the algorithm itself, learn it by muscle memory instead.

The OLL page is LOADED with easy to perform triggers (especially R U R' U')

So instead of memorizing the full algorithms, you can learn how to perform certain triggers beforehand and then instead of having to memorize something like F (R U R' U') (R U R' U') (R U R' U') F' its just 3 easy triggers in a row with a couple of front face turns at the beginning and end.

There are a ton of algorithms that fit this (they where designed to, especially at cubewhiz.com)

And go at your own pace when learning.

llamapuzzle

WCA
2008RATT01
help fingertricking on one 2 look OLL alg?

I have a question.

When you come to the LL on CFOP and there are no edges correctly flipped, I use this alg:

(F R U R' U' F') U2 (F U R U' R' F')

I'm wondering if anyone:
A.Has a better alg or
B.if anyone has any fingertricks for it.

This has been slowing down my solves for some reason, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Thanks!

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a question.

When you come to the LL on CFOP and there are no edges correctly flipped, I use this alg:

(F R U R' U' F') U2 (F U R U' R' F')

I'm wondering if anyone:
A.Has a better alg or
B.if anyone has any fingertricks for it.

This has been slowing down my solves for some reason, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Thanks!

Swap the two algorithms and you save one quarter turn :).

For finger tricks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q787yqgiygg

blgentry

I'm sure I read this somewhere, though I'd like to think that I came up with it on my own...

For a 2 step OLL, as you describe, with no edges oriented, you can use *any* of the OLLs that have no edges oriented. It will not fully orient the top layer, but it *will* orient all of the edges and that is all you are after. I use #13 from Bob Burton's OLL page here:

http://www.cubewhiz.com/oll.html

which is: (R U R' U) (R' F R F') U2 (R' F R F')

Of course you can use any of 11 through 17 (from his page; his numbering is different than Macky's).

Brian.

genwin

same here... I'm using Kyle's choice... what is the probability of having no edges oriented??

Last edited:

MTGjumper

WCA
2008CRAW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm still trying to work out which is best for my fingers whilst I'ms till using 2 step OLL.

I personally wouldn't use r' R U R U R' U' r2 R2 U R U' r' because it is the OLL for a very rare case (1/216). I prefer OLL 3: r R' U r' U2 r U R' U R2 r' ; I can also do that much quicker.

Last edited:
WCA
2009JOHN07
YouTube
Visit Channel
same here... I'm using Kyle's choice... what is the probability of having no edges oriented??

At first I guessed 25% for none, 25% for "L" shape, 25% for "I" shape, 25% for all oriented. But then I looked closer.

Three edges can be flipped either way, and the orientation of the 4th edge is defined by those 3. So, there are 8 permutations for how the first 3 edges can be flipped: HHH, HHT, HTH, HTT, THH, THT, TTH, TTT. (Here the H and T indicate heads or tails orientation.) Note that only 1 of those 8 represents all oriented and 1 of those 8 represents all unoriented. So,

Code:
No edges oriented:    1/8 = 12.5%
2 edges in "L" shape: 3/8 = 37.5%
2 edges in "I" shape: 3/8 = 37.5%
All edges oriented:   1/8 = 12.5%

I assume "L" and "I" shapes have equal probability.

The "odds" would be 7 to 1 against having all edges unoriented. (7 of the 8 cases have some edges oriented.)

Last edited:
H

hdskull

I'm still trying to work out which is best for my fingers whilst I'ms till using 2 step OLL.

I personally wouldn't use r' R U R U R' U' r2 R2 U R U' r' because it is the OLL for a very rare case (1/216). I prefer OLL 3: r R' U r' U2 r U R' U R2 r' ; I can also do that much quicker.

I got that STUPID OLL on a 23 second OH solve -_-.

4 edge: M' U M' U M' U M' U' M' U M' U M' U M' U', lol, learned this from Dennis. Easy to memorize.

But, F R U R' U' F' f R U R' U' f' is probably the fastest.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Three edges can be flipped either way, and the orientation of the 4th edge is defined by those 3. So, there are 8 permutations for how the first 3 edges can be flipped: HHH, HHT, HTH, HTT, THH, THT, TTH, TTT. (Here the H and T indicate heads or tails orientation.) Note that only 1 of those 8 represents all oriented and 1 of those 8 represents all unoriented. So,

Code:
2 edges in "L" shape: 3/8 = 37.5%
2 edges in "I" shape: 3/8 = 37.5%

I assume "L" and "I" shapes have equal probability.

No need to assume. Compute from your flips as read around U:
HHH H - 0
HHT T - L
HTH T - I
HTT H - L
THH T - L
THT H - I
TTH H - L
TTT T - 4

Code:
2 edges in "L" shape: 4/8 = 50%
2 edges in "I" shape: 2/8 = 25%

Of course, cool people go by symmetries: 4-flip and 0-flip have 4 rotational symmetries of 4 AUFs, so only 1 case. I has 2, L has 1. (This helps reducing headaches for OLL or CLS probs.)

Actually, I've never considered it before, but maybe it's better to teach FURU'R'F' to beginners than FRUR'U'F'...