• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New Events for the Weekly Competition Website for 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I apologize - the latter half of this year has been rather busy and I have not been able to spend as much time on the competition website as I would like. There are still good things in store, the most significant being to integrate the competition website with the Forum.

Last year I promised I would again consider the possibility of adding new events for the Weekly Competition this year. Again, I don't want to frivolously add new events, but I do want to give the community the chance to possibly add events if there truly is demand for it. Because my time is limited, I will not be willing to consider this year adding any events that would require significant changes to the website, so unfortunately things like team events (which would involve complications in statistics handling) will not be considered this year. But simple additions of puzzles, or other things that don't require more than adding a new event and scrambles, are things I could certainly handle.

As I did last year, I will use the average weekly participation in our competition this year as a numeric "justification" for going forward. This year the average participation per week has been approximately 223.

Since I am getting a later start this year than last, the schedule will be accelerated, which might mean it's a little harder for an event to get added. Probably, that's not such a bad thing.

On this thread, I will take suggestions for events. Any event that gets at least 11 recommendations (5% of the weekly average of participants) over the next two weeks (ending 2019/12/08) will get its own poll thread. Note that to count as a recommendation, you must actually post on this thread with a statement that you would like to see the event added. Likes will not count as recommendations - you must actually post the recommendation yourself in order for it to count as one of the 11 needed recommendations.

The poll threads will then be open for about 2 weeks, until December 24. The poll will be worded such that an upvote implies that the voter BOTH wants the event added AND intends to compete in it if possible, while a downvote implies that the voter specifically does not want the event added. At that point, any event that receives at least 23 upvotes (hence over 10% of the weekly average of participants) AND ALSO has more upvotes than downvotes will be eligible to be added to the competition. However, I will add no more than 2 events this year, so if more than 2 events reach this threshold, only the top 2 will be added. I will close the poll threads after the deadline is reached.

Last year, this method seemed to work okay, and while the two new events (master pyraminx and redi cube) were not overly popular, they did have sufficient participation to make for some interesting results, and overall I am glad I added both events. I admit I personally really enjoy master pyraminx - it's now one of my favorite puzzles to solve.

Just to start us off, I personally would like to see the following event added, so I will count this as one recommendation for it:
Curvy Copter (jumbled)

In your response, please make clear the events that you wish to see added.

Results so far as of 08:00 PM EST, 2019/12/05:

Event

Votes

Voters

Speed FMC

24​

Kit Clement, asacuber, xyzzy, PetrusQuber, MaikeruKonare, TheDubDubJr, weatherman223, ImmolatedMarmoset, Nutybaconator, DGCubes, Cubingcubecuber, ortwin, AlphaCuber is awesome, TipsterTrickster, ichcubegerne, Koen van Aller, Cubinwitdapizza, WoowyBaby, BradenTheMagician, abunickabhi, Wish Lin, Milo Black, DarkSavage, Sion

Curvy Copter (jumbled)

14​

Mike Hughey, KingCanyon, VIBE_ZT, weatherman223, DarkSavage, ImmolatedMarmoset**, DGCubes, theos, Cubingcubecuber, AlphaCuber is awesome, Natanael, Cubinwitdapizza, Wish Lin, Sion

Mirror Blocks

9​

KM the cuber, wearephamily1719, weatherman223, DarkSavage, ichcubegerne, BenChristman1, BradenTheMagician, joshsailscga, Milo Black

PLL Time Attack

9​

PingPongCuber, weatherman223, DarkSavage, Shaun Mack, AlphaCuber is awesome, FJT97, BradenTheMagician, Milo Black, BradyCubes08

15 puzzle

6​

ichcubegerne, xyzzy, ImmolatedMarmoset, BradenTheMagician, Milo Black, VIBE_ZT

4x4x4 FMC

5​

TipsterTrickster, Kit Clement, ImmolatedMarmoset, CurlyFries, DarkSavage

Ivy Cube

5​

BenChristman1, PingPongCuber, wearephamily1719, Koen van Aller, DarkSavage

Master Kilominx

5​

PingPongCuber, CuberStache, One Wheel, Dylan Swarts, VIBE_ZT

2GEN

4​

PingPongCuber, TheKravCuber, BradenTheMagician, Milo Black

2x2x2 OH

4​

White KB, 147 Cubing, BenChristman1, Milo Black

2x2x3

4​

PingPongCuber, wearephamily1719, Natanael, DarkSavage

4x4x4 OH

4​

White KB, BenChristman1, Cubinwitdapizza, Milo Black

BLD Mirror Blocks No Inspection

4​

jronge94, TipsterTrickster*, Natanael, DarkSavage

Mega BLD

4​

ImmolatedMarmoset, One Wheel, Keroma12, VIBE_ZT

Speed BLD

4​

weatherman223, DarkSavage, AlphaCuber is awesome, GenTheThief

3x3x4

3​

DGCubes, abunickabhi, DarkSavage

5-7 Relay

3​

One Wheel, jronge94, Keroma12

LSE

3​

PingPongCuber, TheKravCuber, BradenTheMagician

4x4x4 WF

2​

One Wheel, ImmolatedMarmoset

Dino Cube

2​

abunickabhi, Milo Black

Fisher Cube

2​

CubicOreo, HawaiiLife745

Magic

2​

PingPongCuber, Cubinwitdapizza

Master Magic

2​

PingPongCuber, Cubinwitdapizza

Pyra BLD

2​

ImmolatedMarmoset, Milo Black

Sq-1 BLD

2​

ImmolatedMarmoset, DarkSavage

2x2x2 FMC

1​

Natanael

2x2x2 Mirror Blocks

1​

BenChristman1

3x3x2

1​

PingPongCuber

3x3x3 no inspection

1​

Cubinwitdapizza

3x3x3 OH BLD

1​

ImmolatedMarmoset

3x3x3 Relay (3 cube)

1​

DarkSavage

3x3x3 Speed FMC BLD

1​

Sion

3x3x5

1​

DGCubes

3x3x6

1​

M O

5x5x5 OH

1​

BenChristman1

Clock OH

1​

ImmolatedMarmoset

Sighted BLD

1​

BradenTheMagician

Last edited:

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
1. Kilomonx is already an event.

2. For clarification, I will not count a like on this thread as a recommendation for that event, because:
a. It might be a like for how the text was written, and
b. There might be more than one thing recommended.

So for those who have liked Kit's suggestion for speed FMC, you need to actually post here yourself if you want to have it count as a recommendation.

3. Speed FMC is pushing it on difficulty to add. Certainly not as difficult to add as team events, but might still involve a lot more coding than some other events. But it does seem like a fun idea, and i should be able to reuse a lot of the current FMC code, so if it passes, I will probably try.

xyzzy

+1 for speed FMC, although the rules would have to be fleshed out more. (Are we allowed to just mentally count the number of moves, or do we have to actually write them down? Is typing allowed? What about using a virtual cube like alg.cubing.net? csTimer's? Smart cubes with instant and accurate reconstructions? Etc.)

ichcubegerne

WCA
2013BOTZ01
Maybe unpopular opinion:
Remove the relays, I dont think that the "Who is best at the biggest cube in the relay" really is a fun event to be honest. Also it is costing a hella lot of time to do them and I thought the weekly comp should be something you can easily do in a week. I would like to know how much time Mike and Mats use for doing ALL events tbh, bc it seems way too much for a weekly comp to me.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
+1 for speed FMC, although the rules would have to be fleshed out more. (Are we allowed to just mentally count the number of moves, or do we have to actually write them down? Is typing allowed? What about using a virtual cube like alg.cubing.net? csTimer's? Smart cubes with instant and accurate reconstructions? Etc.)

Traditionally, this event has been done by writing down the solution. I'm imagining that the submission window will look a lot like FMC now, but with a timer that counts up, not down. Solutions will be verified for correctness with the option of providing an explanation.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Maybe unpopular opinion:
Remove the relays, I dont think that the "Who is best at the biggest cube in the relay" really is a fun event to be honest. Also it is costing a hella lot of time to do them and I thought the weekly comp should be something you can easily do in a week. I would like to know how much time Mike and Mats use for doing ALL events tbh, bc it seems way too much for a weekly comp to me.

100% agree with this. Relays are always among the most requested events for the WCA, but once you do them you realize they add almost nothing to the variety of the events.

Speed FMC is pushing it on difficulty to add. Certainly not as difficult to add as team events, but might still involve a lot more coding than some other events. But it does seem like a fun idea, and i should be able to reuse a lot of the current FMC code, so if it passes, I will probably try.

Didn't mean to make a ton of work for you - I had figured this wouldn't be too much given that it would use much of the existing fewest moves structure. Totally understand if it's not possible to add for this year.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Didn't mean to make a ton of work for you - I had figured this wouldn't be too much given that it would use much of the existing fewest moves structure. Totally understand if it's not possible to add for this year.
It's not a ton of work, and definitely much less than what was required last year to add mean of 3 for fewest moves. But my time is less available now.

If this passes and I decide I can't get it done in time this year, I might either make it a guaranteed addition in 2021, or consider doing the sloppier thing of inserting it mid-year. But I should probably wait until 2021; mid-year addition of events makes for sloppier code for the statistics.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I will not be willing to consider this year adding any events that would require significant changes to the website, so unfortunately things like team events (which would involve complications in statistics handling) will not be considered this year.

Maybe I'm being slightly hypocritical here with suggesting Speed FMC, but team events were specifically called out as not feasible for this year.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I personally really enjoy relays and would be sad to see them go. How’s this for a compromise:

Currently:
2-4
2-5
2-6
2-7

Replace with:
2-4
5-7
2-7

I would also like to see curvy copter added, if for no other reason than that I’ve had one for a couple of years and would like some incentive to actually learn how to solve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.