• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi y'all

I'm a brand new cuber who likes to get into speedcubing. Therefor i bought a mf3rs2. But straight out of the box all my faces make a strange squeaking/ rattling noice (it sounds kind of like some sort of spring idk). Is this a common issue? Can i fix it or should i send it back?

Thanks! :)
You can pop off the center caps and then carefully unscrew the screw, take the spring and washer out and lube them a little bit where the spring and washer contact eachother and the plastic. Then screw the screw back in. Spring noise should be gone. It's not hard to do, but you have to be careful you don't lose the little parts.

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm having an issue with my GAN 356 X Stickerless with Numerical IPG. I received it May 8 or 9, but I'd have to check to see which one. Anyway, ootb I did not have any issues, except for what you'd expect for an ootb cube. I broke it in over the next few days, and was actually doing extremely well. My previous best single and avg were 18.15 and 23.67 respectively on a(n) (overlubed) Valk 3 Power M, but on the fifth solve on the GAN, I got a personal best of 16.55! The next day, I got 16.40, and then on day 3, I finally got my first ever sub-15 solve (14.18) and a really "good" (see thread "How good is "good"? for quote) average of 5, at 20.93 seconds! My times improved substantially, but after 1-2 weeks, they returned to (slightly better than) normal, and on June 1st, I had my first significant problem on the GAN X. The Green-White-Red corner popped, but not in the usual fashion. The cube was tensioned tightly enough that I wouldn't have any "normal" pops, but the corner stuck out from the stem, and fell on the ground. After examining it carefully, I found that It had done a very clean break from the stem. The only way this could have happened, to my knowledge, was if the parts used to make the piece had separated somehow. I was able to pop it back in, but I kept experiencing problems with it throughout the day. However, since it dropped while I was solving it, and since I was outdoors most of the day it fell on the concrete, that could have been a factor. I also did an unusually high number of solves for me (140+) that day, so that may have been the problem. I was also experiencing minor problems with the Green-Yellow-Red piece, but it only stuck out a little bit.
As time went on, the problem didn't progress all that much, but it did stay as it was.
However, about 1-2 weeks ago (in late July or early August) it started happening with another corner (the Green-White-Orange one) one.
One thing that I've noticed so far is that all the problem corners are on the green side, but it might just be a coincidence.

If any of you have ever had a problem like this, or know how I can fix the problem without buying replacement corners, please let me know.
In (not exactly) dire need of assistance,
WhiteKB

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm having an issue with my GAN 356 X Stickerless with Numerical IPG. I received it May 8 or 9, but I'd have to check to see which one. Anyway, ootb I did not have any issues, except for what you'd expect for an ootb cube. I broke it in over the next few days, and was actually doing extremely well. My previous best single and avg were 18.15 and 23.67 respectively on a(n) (overlubed) Valk 3 Power M, but on the fifth solve on the GAN, I got a personal best of 16.55! The next day, I got 16.40, and then on day 3, I finally got my first ever sub-15 solve (14.18) and a really "good" (see thread "How good is "good"? for quote) average of 5, at 20.93 seconds! My times improved substantially, but after 1-2 weeks, they returned to (slightly better than) normal, and on June 1st, I had my first significant problem on the GAN X. The Green-White-Red corner popped, but not in the usual fashion. The cube was tensioned tightly enough that I wouldn't have any "normal" pops, but the corner stuck out from the stem, and fell on the ground. After examining it carefully, I found that It had done a very clean break from the stem. The only way this could have happened, to my knowledge, was if the parts used to make the piece had separated somehow. I was able to pop it back in, but I kept experiencing problems with it throughout the day. However, since it dropped while I was solving it, and since I was outdoors most of the day it fell on the concrete, that could have been a factor. I also did an unusually high number of solves for me (140+) that day, so that may have been the problem. I was also experiencing minor problems with the Green-Yellow-Red piece, but it only stuck out a little bit.
As time went on, the problem didn't progress all that much, but it did stay as it was.
However, about 1-2 weeks ago (in late July or early August) it started happening with another corner (the Green-White-Orange one) one.
One thing that I've noticed so far is that all the problem corners are on the green side, but it might just be a coincidence.

If any of you have ever had a problem like this, or know how I can fix the problem without buying replacement corners, please let me know.
In (not exactly) dire need of assistance,
WhiteKB

There are videos on YouTube, glue it together. I used one by speedcube.com.au It has happened to me multiple times. Be careful glueing it, make sure it doesn’t get on the other pieces. Wait for it to dry before using the cube. One time I glued it wrong, so I got a replacement part from the gan website. They ship it from China, it took a month to arrive in the USA. If you use the card that came with the cube, you can get the part for free. Only get a new part if you have to.

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
There are videos on YouTube, glue it together. I used one by speedcube.com.au It has happened to me multiple times. Be careful glueing it, make sure it doesn’t get on the other pieces. Wait for it to dry before using the cube. One time I glued it wrong, so I got a replacement part from the gan website. They ship it from China, it took a month to arrive in the USA. If you use the card that came with the cube, you can get the part for free. Only get a new part if you have to.
Oh, wow! I didn't know the card did that! I thought it was just a fun accessory.
Thanks a million! I will try looking at tutorials on YouTube. :D

Lapse.

WCA
2016WYNG01
My MFSQ1 M is really loose on one side, and the screws on the dome don’t work. I am pretty sure it is stripped, what can I do? I’ve dropped is around 5 times since yesterday when I got it, and have done ~100 solves. Someone reply... PLZ
do the regular sq1 mod... get a hex nut that screws into the other side of the screw to stop it from loosening. could have just google searched this btw

WCA
2018BRUM01
is it a supernova mfsq1 m or a self magnetized one? If it is supernova I am pretty sure they will send replacement parts. If I were you I would just try to get a ylm squan, and if you cant in time try to borrow one at the comp.

Iwannaganx

So I recently got a YLM 4X4 and after a few days of no problems I have found one internal piece that keeps catching. It's one of the core pieces I think, and would be right under the centre cap on a 3x3. It turns 45 degrees and stops the layer from turning untill you go back and try again. I can't upload photos, but I don't really know how else to describe it.
Any fixes or suggestions appreciated

JustSkittle

Hey all, i'm having a problem with my original weilong gts where every time i try to corner cut 45 degrees and beyond i get this weird catch and i don't know why. Unfortunately i don't think i can provide pictures.

Atomix

Greetings members. I ran into a problem a couple years ago and still am facing the same problem. I didnt know who to talk about . Now I do.
I bought this Aolong V2 in 2015(i think). After lubing it with Maru for most times I decided to disassemble that cube to check tensions and all and this is what I saw.IMG_20191108_204338_932.jpg

IMG_20191108_204344_921.jpg
To this day, this thing happens.
There seems to be dust on the pieces . Also notice the small , black particles on the core. Everytime I clean the cube and reassemble , after many solves , the cube becomes like this again.
Please tell me whats wrong and provide a solution to this as I am considering to resticker and magnetize this cube.
Thank you !!

C

Cubinwitdapizza

So this is from all the lube you have put in there without cleaning it. Once the lube dries, it will create that grey residue. It does not affect the cube a whole lot, but every time you want to re lube it just clean it out before.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Greetings members. I ran into a problem a couple years ago and still am facing the same problem. I didnt know who to talk about . Now I do.
I bought this Aolong V2 in 2015(i think). After lubing it with Maru for most times I decided to disassemble that cube to check tensions and all and this is what I saw.View attachment 10992

View attachment 10993
To this day, this thing happens.
There seems to be dust on the pieces . Also notice the small , black particles on the core. Everytime I clean the cube and reassemble , after many solves , the cube becomes like this again.
Please tell me whats wrong and provide a solution to this as I am considering to resticker and magnetize this cube.
Thank you !!
The cube is fine mostly. When Maru lube dries out over time it becomes that white powder residue so you can just wipe it off or wash the pieces with warm soapy water. The black dust on the cores is from the actual plastic of the pieces wearing away. Maru lube does not last a very long time so that’s why the pieces eventually were grinding against each other, producing that black powder. I would recommend switching to using a heavy lube like traxxas 50k on the pieces, and then a lighter lube to help speed it up. Hope this helps!

fortissim2

WCA
2016LAUI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The cube is fine mostly. When Maru lube dries out over time it becomes that white powder residue so you can just wipe it off or wash the pieces with warm soapy water. The black dust on the cores is from the actual plastic of the pieces wearing away. Maru lube does not last a very long time so that’s why the pieces eventually were grinding against each other, producing that black powder. I would recommend switching to using a heavy lube like traxxas 50k on the pieces, and then a lighter lube to help speed it up. Hope this helps!
Does this mean that Maru isn't a good lube for keeping your cube clean and fast?

YouTube
Visit Channel
What lubes do you recommend for pieces ? Weight 1 or some other lubes like Moyu's or Qiyi's ?
Any Cubicle or Speedcubeshop lube works great. If you live in an area where you can’t access those, than you should try Weight 1 or 2 depending on how fast you want your cube. Higher weights are slower. Also, it should be noted that although lower weights take less time to break in, they last less than heavier weights.
I tried someone else’s Gan lube in a Rubik’s Brand, and it worked really well, but I can’t trust Rubik’s Brands.