• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Finger Tricks Discussion and Help

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
Here's something I just found that's really useful. It is a video by Chris Olson. This has very clear explanations, demos in slow motion and it also has back views to show some tricks. In addition, it often show alternative ways of doing the same move, which is great as not everyone is the same. It should be very useful to other Beginners struggling here, or to the experts to show people they teach. 👍

The M move instructions start from 12:37 into the video. Please don't forget to click "Like".

AnDang

I have great difficulties doing the M2 moves by my right hand, and it seems virtually impossible to do so quickly by my left hand. M moves are absolutely impossible, and I usually do r' R instead. How do you do the M2 moves quickly? Please provide a detailed description if possible.

cuberswoop

WCA
2022FROU01
I have great difficulties doing the M2 moves by my right hand, and it seems virtually impossible to do so quickly by my left hand. M moves are absolutely impossible, and I usually do r' R instead. How do you do the M2 moves quickly? Please provide a detailed description if possible.
I push the back of the M slice with my index finger and then bring my middle finger up to hit the layer. For M moves, I just push back with my middle finger.

Platform

Santa Giustina Bellunese, Veneto, Italy, Italy
WCA
2014MUNA01
quello che voglio fare è un thread sui trucchi con le dita. Nonostante tutto il mio allenamento utilizzando un metodo per certi aspetti diverso da cfop non so quali trucchi avanzati con le dita imparare e se aveste qualche consiglio che non riguardi algoritmi ma semplici trucchi con le dita mi sarebbe utile. È dal 2017 che posso dire di aver intrapreso un allenamento e di non poter scendere sotto i 20 secondi qualche consiglio?
soprattutto per migliorare cross e F2L.

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I migliori trucchi con le dita per i sub 20 sono:
1. U e U' spingono. Fondamentalmente, prendi il dito indice per entrambe le mani e spingi l'angolo posteriore lontano dalla parte anteriore. Se hai usato la mano destra, la mossa dovrebbe risultare per una U' e viceversa per la mano sinistra.
2. D scorre e spinge. Questi trucchi con le dita sono davvero difficili da imparare all'inizio, ma diventeranno più facili man mano che avanzi. Hanno le stesse proprietà di U e U', ma usa l'anulare/il mignolo.
Per quanto riguarda la croce e F2L:
1. Prova a pronosticare l'intera croce e capisci come i pezzi si inseriscono tra loro.
2. Trasforma ogni intuitivo caso F2L in un algoritmo.

Questo è tutto ciò che posso dire. Ecco alcuni video a cui puoi rivolgerti per migliorare.
F2L avanzato
Buone tecniche incrociate

Discomantis

WCA
2022ROGE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I have been re-gripping a lot before M move algorithns because I am a righty cuber but use my right hand for M moves. Those re-grips might take a bit time off my solves and I was wondering if I should switch to using M moves with my left hand. If I shouldn't do that, what is the best way to deal with this problem?

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
So I have been re-gripping a lot before M move algorithns because I am a righty cuber but use my right hand for M moves. Those re-grips might take a bit time off my solves and I was wondering if I should switch to using M moves with my left hand. If I shouldn't do that, what is the best way to deal with this problem?
You should switch to doing left M moves yeah

xyzzy

You should switch to doing left M moves yeah
Is consensus decided on this? Like, right-handers should use left hand for M and left-handers should use right hand for M?

Last I heard (quite a while ago), you could just as well use either hand for M-slice turns.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Is consensus decided on this? Like, right-handers should use left hand for M and left-handers should use right hand for M?

Last I heard (quite a while ago), you could just as well use either hand for M-slice turns.
Kinda yes? You just don’t want to be doing U and M with the same hand. If you’re right hand is doing U moves, do the M moves lefty and vice versa.

Brouxt Force

You should switch to doing left M moves yeah.
I would say that it probably doesn't matter. I am a righty and use my right hand to do M moves, and with Roux, this does not disrupt my turning at all. With CFOP, at least for me, I would say the same thing. Regripping for M moves in PLL doesn't waste any time, as I can easily predict when I am going to get an EPLL, and all my EPLL algs are MU-gen (so I regrip before I even recognize the case). There are a few OLL cases where righty M moves are bad, but this can be fixed by picking a different alg or by just using lefty M moves :)

Kinda yes? You just don’t want to be doing U and M with the same hand. If you’re right hand is doing U moves, do the M moves lefty and vice versa.
True, but both hands should be good at doing U moves anyway.

Can someone explain or possibly link a video to how to do D2 flicks? Like for A perms. Thanks
I use pinky-ring double flicks, but you could also do ring-pinky. If you want a video showing D2 double flicks, just find one of the PLL algorithm fingertricks videos in YouTube and go to A perm.

Timona

YouTube
Visit Channel
Can someone explain or possibly link a video to how to do D2 flicks? Like for A perms. Thanks
I do pinkie followed by ring. That way, your middle finger can stabilize the puzzle.
Most people say you should use the Pinkie then Ring finger, but I have always used Ring finger followed by Middle finger and I can do the alg fine everytime.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Most people say you should use the Pinkie then Ring finger, but I have always used Ring finger followed by Middle finger and I can do the alg fine everytime.
You REALLY should change to pinky ring. You’re having to adjust your grip for no reason (other than just coping bc you do T wanna spend time practicing the good fingertricks : p )

xyzzy

Re: D2
Pinky-ring when I'm doing it with my left hand (A perms), ring-pinky when I'm doing it with my right hand (mainly in big cube L2E algs).

I don't know why it's like this, but it just is. I can't control my hands; they have a mind of their own. (Not really thread-related, but another hand asymmetry I noticed when I was a kid was that I rub my eyes differently with my left hand versus my right hand. My hands are cursed.)

The way I see it is what @Brouxt Force wrote.

But also, messing around a bit… On an alg like M R U R' U r U2 r' U M', using left hand for M allows simultaneous execution of the M and R, whereas using right hand for M makes the execution separate (more like r' R2). The difference in left-hand M versus right-hand M isn't so much about the U-face turns, but the R-face turns, perhaps.