• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] F2L Intuitive vs. Algorithm Solving

How did you learn your F2L? Intuitively or with Algs?

• Intuitively

Votes: 388 88.2%
  • Algorithmic

Votes: 52 11.8%

• Total voters

Julio974

WCA
2018ROHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello!
I have recently entered the wolr of cubing and enjoy it very much. I am new to this forum!
My beginners method is very good at this moment and I can do it easily. I have now started to learn cfop and f2l is the biggest thing that I am a bit confused about.
I have heard that intuitive f2l Is better than algorithm based f2l. I don't know why exactly this is like this, since for me I find the algorithms easier to learn. I have tried to learn the intuitive way but didn't really understand it. I seem to understand f2l with algorithms. Please help me. What method do you use and find better?
Well, algorithmic F2L is just a compilation of intuitive cases.
So look at the algorithms to understand them, but don’t learn algs directly for F2L.

Renegade

Okay. That does make sense. Would yiu recommend any YouTube or online tutorials for intuitive f2l, I can't seem to find a good one.

Hazel

Premium Member
Okay. That does make sense. Would yiu recommend any YouTube or online tutorials for intuitive f2l, I can't seem to find a good one.
I think J Perm has a good YouTube tutorial. I personally learned from a channel called The Cubingers but I think J Perm's is better.

Diving Cuber

In the beginning, learn intuitive f2l because it is simple. Than once you are extremely comfortable, slowly learn algs, but intuitively.

Renegade

Okay! I am actually trying to learn it intuitive now and I actually get it a bit. Some practice and I will be good. Thank you! You cubers are so helpful!

WCA
2018JARV02
YouTube
Visit Channel
As many before me have said, intuitive F2L gives you a better sense of how the cube works, many of the optimized intuitive cases are the same as the algorithimic cases.
Learning intuitively also gives your more finger trick friendly cases, as that's how your brain wants to learn them.
At the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference, and we all end up at the same place, we just get there different ways.

SenorJuan

"and we all end up at the same place ..."
There's plenty of people on here who will disagree. When you're good at Intuitive, you will be able to use empty slots effectively, you will be able to make pairs when the edge/corner is not in its correct slot, you will have less cube rotations, and less turns. And you always have the option of learning algorithms, too. These are particularly beneficial for one-handed solving.

ssakgul

Do we need to use only these algorithms? Are there any alternatives? (I know the answer, but I want to others to ask themselves. My algorithms -near all- are different then those...)

cubezrawesome

First of all, you are taking it way too fast, you are cubing for just a few days and want to learn the fridich method?

I'd say that you shoul first work on speed with begginer method, until you get to 1:00 or 1:10.

and Intuitive f2l is better for me, I do have my own tricks that I kind of figured out, how to pair every edge and corner in just a few twists,
i agree

Yadhuraj

1.Which can i learn fast initutive or algorithm f2l? 2. HOw much solves i should do a day to get to sub 30 in 2 months?

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...
I would say (along w/ most people) that you should learn intuitive. It gives you a better understanding of the cube and algorithmic F2L can be quite confusing.
And I would say do around 50-60 solves a day is fine, but if you want to get there even faster, pay attention to your weaknesses. For example, if you are really bad at efficient F2L, do a few untimed solves focusing on that as much as possible. If you are bad at cross, just solve your cross as fast as you can for a little while. Also, watch this video:
. It helped me get sub-30, it will for you too.

Yadhuraj

Thank you
1: Intuitive is better, period. Don't bother with F2L algs until you have a good understanding of F2L.
2: It varies, there isn't a set number. It's all about what you practice and how you practice.

What @ImmolatedMarmoset said is right, just work on your weaknesses.

I would say (along w/ most people) that you should learn intuitive. It gives you a better understanding of the cube and algorithmic F2L can be quite confusing.
And I would say do around 50-60 solves a day is fine, but if you want to get there even faster, pay attention to your weaknesses. For example, if you are really bad at efficient F2L, do a few untimed solves focusing on that as much as possible. If you are bad at cross, just solve your cross as fast as you can for a little while. Also, watch this video:
. It helped me get sub-30, it will for you too.
Thank you

Hazel

Premium Member
Intuitive F2L all the way! However, once you get faster it's very useful to learn algorithms for the slower/more difficult cases to make them more manageable.

Yadhuraj

Intuitive F2L all the way! However, once you get faster it's very useful to learn algorithms for the slower/more difficult cases to make them more manageable.
I ve saw the rido's hunting method and learned f2l cases in which corner and edge are in the top layer,i learned it all in just 1 hour so i think i initutive is faster to learn.But is it possible to look ahead using initutive? We need to concentrate on the edge and corner piece untill it is solved but if we use algorithm we can search for the next pair right?? So how can i overcome this

I ve saw the rido's hunting method and learned f2l cases in which corner and edge are in the top layer,i learned it all in just 1 hour so i think i initutive is faster to learn.But is it possible to look ahead using initutive? We need to concentrate on the edge and corner piece untill it is solved but if we use algorithm we can search for the next pair right?? So how can i overcome this

Of course you can look ahead while using intuitive. It's what everyone does.
You overcome it by doing a bunch of solves and practicing. Obviously you can't look ahead with intuitive right now because you literally just started, but the more you do it, the more those intuitive moves become automatic.