• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] F2L Intuitive vs. Algorithm Solving

How did you learn your F2L? Intuitively or with Algs?

• Intuitively

Votes: 388 88.2%
  • Algorithmic

Votes: 52 11.8%

• Total voters

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I guess it's fine, especially if you understand how the algs work, but it is not necessary by any means. Your intuitive F2L was probably just inefficient; it gets better with time and dedicated practice (as in, not just doing a bunch of solves; actually looking for efficient solutions in slow, untimed solves).

Probably but posting a title in all caps is not.
Acknowledged

I guess it's fine, especially if you understand how the algs work, but it is not necessary by any means. Your intuitive F2L was probably just inefficient; it gets better with time and dedicated practice (as in, not just doing a bunch of solves; actually looking for efficient solutions in slow, untimed solves).

Noted. I think I will try out different things to see if it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
WCA
2017BAIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Intuitive F2L is definetly better when you are transitioning from LBL to CFOP.
But, as you get faster, for some special(tricky) cases it is better to learn F2L algs as it would be much more optimal than intuitive F2L

CubingRF

YouTube
Visit Channel
Intuitive F2L is definetly better when you are transitioning from LBL to CFOP.
But, as you get faster, for some special(tricky) cases it is better to learn F2L algs as it would be much more optimal than intuitive F2L
Agreed, as you would have to understand how the cube works first, and then for improving the times, you should learn algorithms.

Clarity

Assistance.
Do i really need to learn f2l algs or can i just use intuitive to get my times lower?

Duncan Bannon

Assistance.
Do i really need to learn f2l algs or can i just use intuitive to get my times lower?
I would use intuitive F2l until your around 25 seconds. I would watch Cyotheking (thats a YouTube channel) advanced F2L series. I would learn some of those. Then learn algs for f2l pairs you can’t solve in 10 moves or less. That includes solving the edge and the corner no matter where they are. Hope it help! Feel free to aske more questions!

WCA
2017BAIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Assistance.
You can get your F2L sub-8 with intuitive F2L along with good finger tricks and look ahead.
But when you start getting faster its better to learn algs sometimes for some tricky F2L cases as they would be much more optimal than intuitive ones.
If you are using 8+ moves to solve a case than you are probably not doing the best solution.(though there are some exceptions)
I started learning F2L algs when I averaged F2L in around sub-15.
Till sub-15 F2L I used only intuitive
But, later when I came across some cases and realised that I solved them very inefficiently, I learned algs for those cases.
I currently average around 6.5-8.5 in F2L.

jeffyoats

What I did and continue to do was create my own basic cases, write down the way I solved them, find the algorithm, and then determine which one was a better fit for me through trials. I will eventually turn my finding into a beginner-friendly PDF which I will post to the forums for any aspiring cubers.

YouTube
Visit Channel
intuitive F2L makes me slow because I had to think and pause what side to move
with algs, which are just easy to memorize, I could just look at the case for 0.5 seconds and execute it immediately. Idk about you guys, but intuitive makes me slow. The algs aren't really that bad.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Renegade

Hello guys!
I have only really started to her into the wonderful world of cubing, and let me say that I'm loving it. I have beginners method down real well and have started f2l.
My question is: should I do F2L intuitively or with algorithms. I just can't exactly understand how to do it intuitively, I learn algorithms quickly and seem to understand them. I have seen a lot of people say that learning it intuitively is better and more efficient. What should I do?

Renegade

Hello!
I have recently entered the wolr of cubing and enjoy it very much. I am new to this forum!
My beginners method is very good at this moment and I can do it easily. I have now started to learn cfop and f2l is the biggest thing that I am a bit confused about.
I have heard that intuitive f2l Is better than algorithm based f2l. I don't know why exactly this is like this, since for me I find the algorithms easier to learn. I have tried to learn the intuitive way but didn't really understand it. I seem to understand f2l with algorithms. Please help me. What method do you use and find better?

Thom S.

I advise you to really try to understand how F2L works and do it intuitively. This will give you a good understanding of how pieces get affected and that is better in the long run.
Once in the future when you get to kind of a wall where it is hard for you to improve, you can then look at all the F2L cases and see where you need the most time - that is when you should start to learn Algorithms for them