• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Changes to the Weekly Competition website

xyzzy

It should not be doing that. I need to figure out why it is happening. I have tried it on many devices and browsers, and have not been able to duplicate the problem, but I have had others tell me the same thing, so I know it's not just you. I will continue to try to figure out what's going on with it.
Oh, I may have figured it out: the boxes have a hard-coded height, so when the event name is two lines long (this depends on font rendering!) the contents don't fit within the border.

(I assume flexbox is the modern way to do the layout "correctly", but I'm not familiar enough with that to be of any help.)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, but even a flexbox won't work here because I also need every box to be the same size. I need to guarantee that the text fits inside the box. Apparently the Forum code allows a greater variety of fonts than the old website, and the fonts displayed on some systems now are too big to fit in the box. I'll either have to limit the font options, or shorten the texts I use (by abbreviating, which is ugly), or make the boxes bigger (which is sad, because it would mean fewer boxes would fit across the screen). I'm hoping I can limit the font options. I'll try to figure out something today to fix it.

Edit: I figured out why it wasn't limiting the fonts properly. I think I've fixed it (by limiting the font choices), for these boxes anyway. I've decided not to change it for the rest of the site for now to try to maximize the flexibility of display, but if you see other places that need it, please let me know.

Last edited:

freshcuber.de

WCA
2016FRIS02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Screenshot_20200910_173429.jpg
Hi Mike, can I bother you please with an extra wish, now that you are already coding?
I would like to see the events name in front of "Results" if it's not much work. Then you can see easily if these are 2x2 or Pyraminx solves, also if the screenshot is cropped for Instagram or things like that. Would that be possible and how do you like that suggestion?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would like to see the events name in front of "Results" if it's not much work. Then you can see easily if these are 2x2 or Pyraminx solves, also if the screenshot is cropped for Instagram or things like that. Would that be possible and how do you like that suggestion?
That was easy enough to do and seemed harmless and possibly helpful, so I added it. Thanks for the suggestion.

thomas.sch

WCA
2018SCHU17
Hello Mike,

I "work" now since some months with the weekly competition webpage and have some suggestions.

Suggestion 1: Layout, separate scrambles in relay events
I think it would be easier to read if 2 scrambles are separated. By a spacer or a line or something like that.

Suggestion 2: Layout, highlight alternate rows of longer scrambles
Sometimes if I am on the end of a line I loose orientation, especally Kilominx and Megaminx or Curvy, because every line has nearly the same lenght. So it would be easier if the alternation would be shown

Example:
1600323433204.png

Suggestion 3: Layout, Copy'n Paste of Scrambles
I know I can go into "Manual Entry" to copy the scramble but sometimes I am not 100% sure if my scramble was correct. So I just would like to copy it to a webpage to visualize the scramble and to check my cube against it and it is not possible to select the scramble on the competition page.

Suggestion 4: Weekly-Page-View for past weeks.

There is this nice overview of the personal results of a whole week, e.g. yours Mike: Current Week of Mike Hughey
If the current week is over there is no possibility to get this view again.

Would it be possible to have GET-Parameters in addition to showPerson=XXX for the year and the week?

Suggestion 5: The Blind-Events have this excellent feature to get the interim time after memo. The same feature for the relay events would be nice to get the time for each cube. At the moment I stop the relay times sometimes in csTimer but there I have to change the number for each attempt an this is annoying.

I know people are solving the cubes in different orders but I think everybody will know the order right after the attempt!

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
@thomas.sch Thanks so much for your suggestions. I do have a bunch of other features backed up that I'm working on, so I might not be able to get to all of these immediately, but most of these seem doable. If nothing else, I should at least be able to make options that allow for your suggestions.

For your suggestion 4, there actually already is a GET parameter that will do it; I'm sorry there's no easy way to click to or select it, but it is possible by supplying the GET parameters in the URL. So, for instance, this shows your personal results for week 2020-35:
https://www.speedsolving.com/competition/showPerson.php?showPerson=5367&week=35&year=2020

Just add "&week=<weeknumber>&year=<yearnumber> to get any week and year.

Someday I really do hope to have an easy link to those, and a selector on the page to let you switch; I just need to get around to adding it.

Last edited:

thomas.sch

WCA
2018SCHU17
For your suggestion 4, there actually already is a GET parameter that will do it; I'm sorry there's no easy way to click to or select it, but it is possible by supplying the GET parameters in the URL. So, for instance, this shows your personal results for week 2020-35:
https://www.speedsolving.com/competition/showPerson.php?showPerson=5367&week=35&year=2020

Just add "&week=<weeknumber>&year=<yearnumber> to get any week and year.

Someday I really do hope to have an easy link to those, and a selector on the page to let you switch; I just need to get around to adding it.
Works like a charm! Thank you!

I do not need a selector because I want to make a crawler to this page so the call will be done by a program. At the moment I copy/paste the content of this page every week into a softeware I have written that converts my results into TwistyTimer-Format so that I can have all my times in one App on the Android phone.

But with this parameters I will crawl the page and parse the HTML-code.

The result is a time with the comment that the time was made in the weekly, which week and which attempt

1600368918978.png

Gnome

WCA
2011CARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just noticed some weird "dots" shown on the profile page (for your own results) that perhaps shouldn't be there? Unless they're for spacing or something and I've just been blind all this time which is highly possible of course

To the left of each icon

1602521339344.png

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can you modify the weekly view of the SpeedFMC results, so that you can see the points and the moves (moves in brackets behind the points)? :)
Also one more modification to the FMC event. Since SpeedFMC is average of 5 event, just for homogeneity, it will be better to have 5 solves for FMC event.

And I also want 4x4 FMC to be reintroduced. It was scraped about a decade ago, and I never got a chance to compete in it.

ichcubegerne

WCA
2013BOTZ01
Also one more modification to the FMC event. Since SpeedFMC is average of 5 event, just for homogeneity, it will be better to have 5 solves for FMC event.

And I also want 4x4 FMC to be reintroduced. It was scraped about a decade ago, and I never got a chance to compete in it.

I was always against Ao5 for FMC, but when I am honest with myself, it seems like a good idea.

4x4 FMC on the other hand isnt :p

Edit: But is it really fair to have a Ao5 compared to a mo3 for the all time rankings?

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Small suggestion: Tag the WCA Events, so they can be identified by people as WCA events in the competitors tab and the rankings :) That might be useful to know for newbies
This is a nice suggestion. Even I get a lot of newbies asking me whats the use of 15 puzzle and curvy copter as it is not there in the WCA. I just tell them it is just another twisty puzzle that a small community speedsolve and improve on.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I'm not sure how hard this would be to fix, but there's a minor issue with manually entering times. It's the same in Chrome and Firefox: if I click away from the line for entering times, to enter a comment or DNF, +2, or to edit a time, the spot I need to click to get the cursor in the correct place again is a very narrow line above where the time is actually written.