• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Blockbuilding encouragement needed.

Cool Frog

Would you say that full CN is worth it over fixed U/D faces?

Though I am full CN I can force UD colors rather easy, Fixed U/D colors shouldn't pose a problem at all. Premade pairs will also give you a bit of freedom in block colors.

However if there is a really easy block with another color that isn't on your fixed U/D then you would be missing out. (But this doesn't really happen much "Lucky you could call it"

AndreasFrom

However if there is a really easy block with another color that isn't on your fixed U/D then you would be missing out. (But this doesn't really happen much "Lucky you could call it"

As I'm not really speedcubing with Roux yet, I go for whatever I see, both in 1. and 2. blocks. This leads to some really funny (slow(!)) nonmatching blocks once in while, but I'm just toying with the cube for now.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
lol
Full CN rouxer... My blocks are literally the fastest part of my solve =/
I can track EO and UL/UR I don't know what it is though that makes my LSE slow.

Please could you make a video? I'm just a tiny bit faster than you and my LSE is the fastest, and my CMLL is the slowest (relatively) lol.

My blockbuilding is stressy because I simply go for the easiest block (with white/yellow). I do it whatever way I see. Do you think I should start doing it the similar way each time?
Every solve I don't even know whether I'm doing non-matching blocks :/

If only I had your block-building skills, and you had my LSE skills. Then we'd both be supa fast hehe.

As I'm not really speedcubing with Roux yet, I go for whatever I see, both in 1. and 2. blocks. This leads to some really funny (slow(!)) nonmatching blocks once in while, but I'm just toying with the cube for now.
Great that you're experimenting! Eventually you'll notice 'ah, Petrus is really is my thing' or 'wow, I really have a knack for mooing'. That's when you choose your method. Have fun with all those methods!

Last edited:

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I normally start my R - Block in Petrus and Roux with an 2x2x1, but I don't even plan the full block in advance, instead I build a first easy pair and extend. that makes me believe planning a full 3x2x1 is not usefull for speedcubing - but maybe there is someone out their who is able to do.

Just like people plan out a cross and track an F2L pair you can plan a 2x2 and track a CE pair. In easy cases I can almost plan the entire 2x2x3, or at least track all piece for it so I have no delay during the block. You shouldn't restrict your 2x2 to a specific location like R, but instead assemble it in a way that is finger friendly, and perhaps leaves an easy rotation, or no rotation for 2x2x3. My favorite is building the 2x2 somewhere on B, so I can expand on FL or FR. Sometimes I like to build on L or R and expand to B or F with a simple X rotation and some double layer turns for inserting edges. Knowing different angles helps you so much.

Cool Frog

Please could you make a video? I'm just a tiny bit faster than you and my LSE is the fastest, and my CMLL is the slowest (relatively) lol.

My blockbuilding is stressy because I simply go for the easiest block (with white/yellow). I do it whatever way I see. Do you think I should start doing it the similar way each time?
Every solve I don't even know whether I'm doing non-matching blocks :/

If only I had your block-building skills, and you had my LSE skills. Then we'd both be supa fast hehe.
Well, Currently I am in the hospital with an IV in my hand (I basically can't do <R, U, R', R2, r, r',r2>) So, Speedcubing isn't working very well (Even though I got some OK times yesterday).
Don't stress on the blocks, Look for cool stuff, new things you can come up with.
Great that you're experimenting! Eventually you'll notice 'ah, Petrus is really is my thing' or 'wow, I really have a knack for mooing'. That's when you choose your method. Have fun with all those methods!

Inferring that he is going to choose roux...

AndreasFrom

Inferring that he is going to choose roux...

Right now I'm doing Fridrich for impressing friends. Petrus when I see an easy 2x2x2. Roux when I see an easy 1st block (aswell as to train M-moves). And lastly I'm learning Heise for FMC and to learn commutators.

Might settle on Roux, might settle on X-cross Fridrich, might settle on Heise for speedcubing(!?). Most likely: I'll settle on Petrus, but maybe that's just because I've got more Petrus than Roux experience.

Only [insert religious character] knows, really...

EDIT: Sorry about the hospital trip btw. Training OH to get the most of it?

Last edited:
Just like people plan out a cross and track an F2L pair you can plan a 2x2 and track a CE pair. In easy cases I can almost plan the entire 2x2x3, or at least track all piece for it so I have no delay during the block. You shouldn't restrict your 2x2 to a specific location like R, but instead assemble it in a way that is finger friendly, and perhaps leaves an easy rotation, or no rotation for 2x2x3. My favorite is building the 2x2 somewhere on B, so I can expand on FL or FR. Sometimes I like to build on L or R and expand to B or F with a simple X rotation and some double layer turns for inserting edges. Knowing different angles helps you so much.

Sorry I may was not enough specific about, what I call an R-block ( second block in Roux , Step 4 of Petrus), without inspection time it is in my opinon to difficult to do this in one look.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, heise is fun. I use it to speedsolve sometimes, so i can help you with that if you want.

Above post: well I do kind of 1-look it, I simply do the easiest way I see, and reduce my turn speed so much that I don't hesitate. So it can be seen as 1-look or loads of-look. Basically you look ahead constantly during that stage- constantly finding pieces.

Last edited:

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hospital. At first I did a bunch of 2H solving, but my IV started to hurt (In my hand) so now it is a bunch of OH
I should be getting discharged today. (the orders are in already)

Well, lucky you can do OH. I can't do OH very fast. Hope you're alright (which you are).

Thanks, I need to find out how to do the last 5 corners effeciently first, though :S
kom... moo... tate... ursssss.......
But yeah they are extremely confusing to start with.

AndreasFrom

kom... moo... tate... ursssss.......

I'll rephrase: Thanks, I need to find out how to use commutators first, though :S

Joke aside, I was going to do it now, but then I realized you could hex edit the keyboard on my Nokia 5800, so just changed it to Colemak.
Took some time, but totally worth it. Am now trying to find the file responsible for the Opera Mini keyboard as It loads faster than the original.
And Opera Mini is all I use my phone for really. This is one of the first times I'm posting on Speedsolving from the computer :)

Can you point me to some good commutator explanations? Am going to read Ryan Heise and Joel van N.'s explanations.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
What I found very usefull for commutators: the BH tutorial thread by Byu, I think it is stickied in the BLD subforum.

For me everything clicked after the very firrst example.

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
what worked for me was continually trying it on a real cube until i got it. I started with 8 movers, then tried deriving some A9s, specifically A perm and the common Headlights OLL - R2 D R' U2 R D' R' U2 R'

I already knew some comms as algs so that helped, I just didn't know how they worked. Start with doing easy ones with simple triggers like sexy D sexy' D' and work from there. The BH tutorial is great as well, it goes in excellent depth, and of course Ryan Heise's site.