• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Gnome

WCA
2011CARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
is k4 objectively worse than yau
K4 and Yau share almost no similarities, the former is a block building and commutator based direct solving method and the later is an extension to reduction.. being good at one does not transpose to being good at the other because of this and as such you cannot compare them.

To clarify, Yau after reduction utilities standard 3x3 techniques, invariably CFOP derived OLL and PLL whilst k4 uses neither of these and is only Barely helped by knowing 3x3 ELL in those weird cases where edges happen to be paired after F3L.

TheSlykrCubr

This Hellhole We Know As The British Isles
YouTube
Visit Channel
K4 and Yau share almost no similarities, the former is a block building and commutator based direct solving method and the later is an extension to reduction.. being good at one does not transpose to being good at the other because of this and as such you cannot compare them.

I meant in the same way that CFOP and Roux get compared as 3x3 methods but are completely different.

Gnome

WCA
2011CARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know, I just heard that K4 is worse than Yau.

No method is objectively worse than any other, it's up to the cuber to select the method they want to use..

Just as there have been sub 25 second solves recorded with Yau there have been sub 25 second solves recorded with k4

Although I would like to also clarify that this is not pure k4 as instead the last two corners are solved in an F2L style first conceived by Dan Cohen

TheSlykrCubr

YouTube
Visit Channel
No method is objectively worse than any other, it's up to the cuber to select the method they want to use..

Just as there have been sub 25 second solves recorded with Yau there have been sub 25 second solves recorded with k4

Although I would like to also clarify that this is not pure k4 as instead the last two corners are solved in an F2L style first conceived by Dan Cohen

Ok. Thanks for proving me wrong!

Gnome

WCA
2011CARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
ive been using a version i thought of
were you solve three of the corners with f2l edges,
solve the other edges with keyhole and than solve the final f3l pair

That sounds interesting, I sometimes do wide U's if I have an obvious edge pairing I can abuse but not commonly.. currently I'm trying to learn COLL and a load more ELL tricks to make the end of my solves smoother.

Gnome

WCA
2011CARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i know coll but for know im just trying to improve my f3l,
will learn ell at a later point just doing Simi-Edge Permutation and than oll pll rn

I was lucky enough to have Thom teach me a couple ELL tricks back in 2011 so it was the first part of the method I really learnt, I also believe diluting the method is heresy :p

I also don't use CFOP on 3x3, instead favouring Roux and increasingly LBL (Unsuprisingly) .. as such I do not know OLL or PLL (I think I know maybe 9 OLLs and 6 PLLs) which helps a lot when trying to not intentionally reduce bigger puzzles down to a 3x3 as it would slow me down.

TheSlykrCubr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I was lucky enough to have Thom teach me a couple ELL tricks back in 2011 so it was the first part of the method I really learnt, I also believe diluting the method is heresy :p

I also don't use CFOP on 3x3, instead favouring Roux and increasingly LBL (Unsuprisingly) .. as such I do not know OLL or PLL (I think I know maybe 9 OLLs and 6 PLLs) which helps a lot when trying to not intentionally reduce bigger puzzles down to a 3x3 as it would slow me down.

He's one of only 2 people i've heard of called Thom with a H

WCA
2017BAIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
OH PB! 13.65 single!! previous one was 14.78
OH PB!!!! SEPT 14 2020.png
Really lucky with a LL skip
Recon-
x2 y'//inspection
R2 D x U' R' U2 x' D2// cross
U2 R U' R' U R U R'// 1st pair
R' U2 R y U' R U R'//2nd pair
y2 L' U L U2 R U2 R' U y' R' U R//3rd pair
U2 R U2 R' U' R U R'//4th pair

Also I dropped my average from about 28-27 secs to 22-23 secs just by practising from the during this lockdown period. Hope to get sub-20 by the end of the year.

PetraPine

YouTube
Visit Channel
PB ao5 with my k4 variant!
the 1:11 was absolute trash on my part, i didnt get unlucky or anything like that.
currentbest
time1:04.661:03.02
mo31:06.801:06.49
ao51:04.321:04.32
timeao5ao12
solve: 5/5
mean: 1:05.59
51:04.661:04.32-
41:03.79--
31:11.96--
21:04.50--
11:03.02--

PetraPine

YouTube
Visit Channel
K4 is alot more consistent than Yau,
which fits my style because how i solve 3x3,
i am crazy consistent
(basically i have a slow pb but my ao25 is close to my best ao5)
currentbest
time1:12.771:03.02
mo31:10.081:04.40
ao51:08.801:04.32
ao121:06.591:06.59