• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
This seems like a fun challenge and I wish you the best of luck :)
Personally, by the time I finish full ZBLL I want to be at or above an average of 1 alg a day, so that'll take me more than 300 days probably :p
I did learn 24 algs in the past 2 days though, so we'll see how that goes!

It is also good to take pauses between learning alg sets - particularly ZBLL to make sure they are, not only memorised thoroughly, but can be used in a high-pressured solving scenario.

Hazel

Premium Member
It is also good to take pauses between learning alg sets - particularly ZBLL to make sure they are, not only memorised thoroughly, but can be used in a high-pressured solving scenario.
I do agree - and once I finish L, I'm going to force myself to take a long break.
Annd right now, I'm much more focused on learning them so I can use them at all in solves rather than knowing them super duper well. I don't care about getting faster as much as I used to, I just do what's fun, and what's most fun for me right now is just learning tons of algorithms :p

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Best of luck to everyone participating! I know i do not have the time available to commit to that many algs this year. I do want to learn full OLL and some 2x2 algs since I’ve always just brute forced 2x2 intuitively.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I’m starting ZBLL soon, after my competition ;). Even learning an alg a day will take me over a year...
In my experience, when you first start you’ll end up finding that most ZBLL cases fall into one of maybe four cases.
1. Good recognition with good algs.
2. Bad recognition with good algs.
3. Good recognition with trash algs.
4. Bad recognition with trash algs.

As a result, there will probably be variance in how many you end up learning. So if you come across a case 1, you could probably learn another alg or two no problem

Hazel

Premium Member
In my experience, when you first start you’ll end up finding that most ZBLL cases fall into one of maybe four cases.
1. Good recognition with good algs.
2. Bad recognition with good algs.
3. Good recognition with trash algs.
4. Bad recognition with trash algs.

As a result, there will probably be variance in how many you end up learning. So if you come across a case 1, you could probably learn another alg or two no problem
I wouldn't say it's as clear-cut as this. Algs can be short and fast (the best kind), long but fast, or short but slow. The second two types end up being about the same speed overall. I've learned 90 algs so far, and I haven't yet found a case for which all algs are both long and slow. All of my algs I either love or like. Maybe that's just me, though.

Habsen

WCA
2020HABE01
I guess I will also join next week, unless my first competition this weekend goes so badly that I quit cubing :D

I want to learn all M slice comms for M2 as well as 3-style for corners. Although that makes about 24 + 399 algs, it should be much easier than the same number of ZBLL algs. I also know 84 corner 3-style algs already, however, I might need to replace some of them with faster ones.

I target three algs per day on average which would finish the project within four months. Let's see how that works out.
Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I wouldn't say it's as clear-cut as this. Algs can be short and fast (the best kind), long but fast, or short but slow. The second two types end up being about the same speed overall. I've learned 90 algs so far, and I haven't yet found a case for which all algs are both long and slow. All of my algs I either love or like. Maybe that's just me, though.
Part of this for me is when I started cubing, I just wanted to be getting faster and glossed over the basics so I have some not great fingertricks. My cubing resolution this year is to return to the basics and focus on things like fixing fingertricks, learning better algs, practicing inspection skills, etc

efattah

At first learning 1 algorithm per day for 300 days seems like a fairly low commitment, maybe 10 minutes to learn/drill the 1 algorithm. But you are forgetting that each day, you also need to drill all the other algorithms you have already learned, to prevent yourself from forgetting them, and also there is a 'disentangling' that needs to happen whenever you learn a new algorithm that is very similar to a previous one. Drill time on old algs would average at least 1 minute per algorithm. So on day 30 you spend 10 minutes learning the new algorithm, and 29 minutes drilling the previous 29. By day 300, you spend 10 minutes learning the new algorithm, and 299 minutes (5 hours) drilling the previous ones. So the time commitment gradually increases each day from 10 minutes per day, up to 5 hours per day by day 300. It will be impressive if you pull it off!

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
Just been writing up a plan for the next few weeks and so far it looks very crowded. Will be learning mirrored algs for Sune + Anitsune cases for 2x2 CLL and rest of EG. I have so far put down 2 2x2 Algs every 2 days (2 algs one day than a day gap). In the day gaps I will have 3x3 algs (PLL, OLL, etc)

Is it achievable? It is much more than 300 Algs in 300 Days at this pace - may have to rename the challenge. Also, I understand that some of you may only be doing certain subsets so it should be fine in terms of not being too overwhelming. I will post the schedule as soon as I complete it (very soon). Meanwhile, feel free to take a look at my page for now. I have only done the easy PLL alg recognition (T and J) as well as a CLL alg (2 vertical bars).

Edit:
Also, how many days gap would you guys recommend between alg sets (PLL and OLL, CLL to EG-1)?

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
Weekly Update - Week 1

This thread has been quite inactive recently, partially due to myself being busy, but I can assure you that I have made some progress this week. I have also been having troubles putting multimedia onto the thread so will stick to just writing down the algorithms on the opening post.

I have been grateful to have received immense support on this challenge, and many people have been joining in over on Facebook (See signature below for link). I will be posting regularly to keep everyone updated on my progress as well as tips and tricks I learn along the way. I will also be posting a full plan very soon of all the algorithms.

General Statistics
Days Complete – 8
Weeks Complete - 1
Algorithms Learnt – 14

Break-down
3x3
PLL – 8 (Ua, Ub, Z, H, 2 Side Recog of T and Y, Jb, Aa)
OLL – 0
COLL – 0
WV – 0

2x2
CLL – 6 (H set)
EG-1 – 0
EG-2 – 0

I decided to go for 2 CLL algorithms at a time since I felt progress would be too slow otherwise and it would be easier to forget or not easily implement older algorithms if they were learnt too far apart. So far I have learnt all the “H” algorithms as per the JPerm video tutorial – Algorithms will be in the opening post. In terms of 3x3, it has been a fairly straightforward week since I was training my 2-side recognition for T and Y – algorithms which I already knew, as well as Jb Perm – which resembles T Perm very much, as well as Aa Perm.

Finger tricks
In terms of finger tricks used, I am still adjusting to a D2 double flick with my off hand, but that would improve with practise. I am still working on improving my U2’ flicks with my left hand, that will improve through scrambling the cube between solves, feel free to let me know if there are other ways of improving fingertricks.

Last edited:
C

Cubinwitdapizza

Sorry bout not posting, but I feel like I have more things to do then posting algortihims I learn.

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry bout not posting, but I feel like I have more things to do then posting algorithms I learn.

I wasn't apologising for the lack of activity of others but the lack of my own. I will be posting weekly, hopefully.
Of course I would want to know about which algorithms are suited to each event (big cubes, OH etc) and will be wanting some input on some alternative algorithms that would be worth learning in future.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
ZBLL algorithms Day 9
Categorised by A being Same, Opposite or Adjacent (A is the top two stickers) and B being Same, Opposite or Adjacent. Last two depending on which two colours are matched up.
6 algorithms learnt so far. Mostly Sune and AntiSune combos, plus the COLL.
1 algorithm learnt so far, my COLL one.
11/72 learnt overall
54/493
I’ll add the rest when I feel like it, and copy paste and edit every week or two.