• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The method debate thread

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
HK isn't that great of a method. It's definitely not bad but it's really not great. EOArrow is a fine step, just like most first steps - completely average.
The F2L is pretty good and is identical to EOCross F2L minus the fact DR isn't solved. HKOLL will probably be ok due to the fact that OLL is good and you can probably insert an r instead of R to flip DF. HKPLL will be awful, especially for diags because any diag corner swap with 5 edges is automatically bad. That's a cubing fact. A better approach would be to use CLL then L5E. An even better approach would be Zipper, which has the edge in FR instead of DF and those L5E algs are generally better from looking at a few.

TL;DR check out the Zipper method instead (Zipper-b more specifically) if you want a method that's better than HK and actually does average sub 50 moves.

My HK scramble was lucky for HK. Also that scramble is also amazing for HK, you can easily make two pairs.
that HK solve was not counted for this.

Then why are you even mentioning that you average 49-high 50s doing slow solves, they don't matter. I can do that with CFOP easily.
Ok then, I average around 5-62 in HK speedsolves, I've used it for like a day.

HK isn't that great of a method. It's definitely not bad but it's really not great. EOArrow is a fine step, just like most first steps - completely average.
The F2L is pretty good and is identical to EOCross F2L minus the fact DR isn't solved. HKOLL will probably be ok due to the fact that OLL is good and you can probably insert an r instead of R to flip DF. HKPLL will be awful, especially for diags because any diag corner swap with 5 edges is automatically bad. That's a cubing fact. A better approach would be to use CLL then L5E. An even better approach would be Zipper, which has the edge in FR instead of DF and those L5E algs are generally better from looking at a few.

TL;DR check out the Zipper method instead (Zipper-b more specifically) if you want a method that's better than HK and actually does average sub 50 moves.
if it's that case, I'll try out Zipper-b and make up my mind, still trying to be sub-10 HK though.

WoowyBaby

WCA
2018ISOM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
not in speedsolves, and there was a time limit on me.

If you give me 60 minutes I can find sub-35 solutions with basically all methods.

And if you give me 60 minutes to simply find the shortest solution I can find (regardless of method), then I average 25 moves. Yes, 25 moves.

But that is not relevant here, we're talking about real time speedsolves.

maticuber

WCA
2009MACA01
U2 L F2 D' F2 D' F2 R2 U2 B2 L2 U R2 D' L' B U' L R2 F' L'

Just for the memes, here's a 43 move "cfop" solution, I couldn't find an alg for that 1LLL case.

U R B L F2 // Xcross
U L' U' L U' L' U L // 2nd pair
R U R' U R' U2 R2 U' R' // 3rd+4th pair
E M2 E' M2 // fix centers
y' r U' r' U' r U r' y' R' U R // OLL
M2' U M2' U2 M2' U M2' // PLL

I'm surprised to see you switching methods after having possibly the fastest improvement rate of any cuber(weren't you avg 13.5 after 4 months?) You could have easily gotten sub 10 in 4-6 months but now you it will take you much longer
CFOP is my second wheel method, I'm still practicing and trying to be sub 10 with it and HK.

If you give me 60 minutes I can find sub-35 solutions with basically all methods.

And if you give me 60 minutes to simply find the shortest solution I can find (regardless of method), then I average 25 moves. Yes, 25 moves.

ok then...

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
CFOP is my second wheel method, I'm still practicing and trying to be sub 10 with it and HK.
Just curious, do you want to be a world class cuber someday? Because if you do, you are going to need to stick with one method.

And by the way you totally could be world class if you keep practicing with CFOP, you were improving insanely fast.

maticuber

WCA
2009MACA01

25 moves is literally top 30 FMC average in the world.

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
51, That COLL took up 15 Moves :(View attachment 12327
let's say that coll took 10 moves instead. That's 46 moves, which is about 10 moves worse than CFOP. But you have truckloads of M moves (and even a few E moves, eww) which require regrips (or at least adjusting your hands) and are slower and would definitely make up for more than 9 moves

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I'm surprised to see you switching methods after having possibly the fastest improvement rate of any cuber(weren't you avg 13.5 after 4 months?) You could have easily gotten sub 10 in 4-6 months but now you it will take you much longer

The amount of time it takes you to get to some speed doesn't really show how much you improve, it's more how many solves it takes to reach a speed. For example, I've gotten to around 15 seconds in 9 months(starting from when I first learned to solve the cube), but it took about 1.5k solves(including my ZZ & OH solves, not just my CFOP solves)

let's say that coll took 10 moves instead. That's 46 moves, which is about 10 moves worse than CFOP. But you have truckloads of M moves (and even a few E moves, eww) which require regrips (or at least adjusting your hands) and are slower and would definitely make up for more than 9 moves

To be fair, that scramble was stupid. Although it did take some skill, it was a pretty obvious cross+2, and then a free pair into PLL skip.

maticuber

WCA
2009MACA01
The amount of time it takes you to get to some speed doesn't really show how much you improve, it's more how many solves it takes to reach a speed. For example, I've gotten to around 15 seconds in 9 months(starting from when I first learned to solve the cube), but it took about 1.5k solves(including my ZZ & OH solves, not just my CFOP solves)

To be fair, that scramble was stupid. Although it did take some skill, it was a pretty obvious cross+2, and then a free pair into PLL skip.

Still really impressive, 9 months to 15s is way better than avg. It took me more than a year to be consistently sub 18.