• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Kyle™

Premium Member
WCA
2004ALLA01
Hello,
After a long break, I have decided to return to speedcubing.
And there you have it.
When you feel like quitting, you just have to belv in youself.
This was by far™ my biggest break, but I'm happy to start cubing again.
CFOP or Petrus...Maybe I'll flip a coin.

Lazy Einstein

Alg Ninja
Earth, Solar system, Orion Spur, Milky Way
Cubing less
So I think I am quitting having active cubing goals and trying to have time for cubing every week.
I will work on algdb.net every week because I think it is an important resource for all cubers.
I will cube randomly for fun when I can and if it works out try to go to the odd competition.

I am graduating college, which is training my job is paying for; and I am also taking university courses online until my work will send me for my undergrad.
I am about to have my 3rd child this month(a baby girl) and I am going to the gym 4 times a week and focusing heavily on nutrition and learning about it. With busy family life, full-time work, part time school, and full-time gym. I never get to focus on cubing anymore.

We will see what happens. Guess this is a break from active cubing.

Berd

WCA
2014LONG06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cubing less
So I think I am quitting having active cubing goals and trying to have time for cubing every week.
I will work on algdb.net every week because I think it is an important resource for all cubers.
I will cube randomly for fun when I can and if it works out try to go to the odd competition.

I am graduating college, which is training my job is paying for; and I am also taking university courses online until my work will send me for my undergrad.
I am about to have my 3rd child this month(a baby girl) and I am going to the gym 4 times a week and focusing heavily on nutrition and learning about it. With busy family life, full-time work, part time school, and full-time gym. I never get to focus on cubing anymore.

We will see what happens. Guess this is a break from active cubing.
Your efforts to Algdb.net are not unnoticed. Thank you.

AlGoreRhythm

It was my cube-iversary last week (one year of cubing) and I have been feeling super nostalgic. I miss the times when I could go on to amazon or ebay and see dozens of new cubes every time, and when 30 seconds seemed unreachable, and when the 5x5 was some kind of monster. I feel like nowadays I take it too seriously, and it's no longer what it was when I started. So I am going to pause where I am, and continue cubing while not being too active in the online community. No more competitions for a while, either. I guess it all just feels like there's some sort of pressure on me to improve all the time, while for me cubing was supposed to be just about having fun.

But I'll be back. Eventually.

Cue dramatic music...

Isaac Lai

WCA
2015LAII01
I pause till 16 October, the day of my last end of year exam. I'm going to try to only do timed solves for the weekly comps (here and reddit), but I'll probably still do random solves when taking breaks, just with no timer. Then when my end of year exams are over, I'll finally be able to focus on cubing :)

JackJ

WCA
2009JOHN05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've decided to step away from speedsolving after an amazing eight years. I've gotten to travel, meet friends from all over the world, and most importantly learn to love the great puzzle that is the Rubik's Cube.

To the friends I have met along the way, it's been amazing to watch you all progress through the years. Not only on a competitive level, but on a personal and professional one as well. It's amazing that in such a short time, the competition scene has grown this exponentially. From only being able to buy puzzles off Chinese shops online to the expansion of stores in the U.S. market and even some physical store locations around the world. Attendance at competitions has skyrocketed so much that even the founder of the WCA has been turned away due to such high turnout at even local competitions. It's amazing that major competitions have waiting lists now and some big time competitors are fully sponsored and paid for to attend competitions across their home country and the world. We even have a speedsolving podcast now. It's been amazing to watch the community grow as I grew with it.

I started into this hobby on a whim, like most of you. I found a video from Erik Akkersdijk solving the cube in an amazing 9.77 seconds and was instantly fascinated. Little did I know that one video could have a major affect on my life for the next eight years. Who would have known that I could even ever beat that absurd time? Because of that simple video, I traveled to places I otherwise would have never been to, meet people from all over the world and from places that I have never even heard of, and lastly - I got to compete.

Throughout the years I've made some (albeit small) contributions to the community. I was always a volunteer judge/scrambler at the ~25 competitions I attended throughout the years. On top of that, I even developed my own LS/LL system in which Anthony Brooks has since adopted and published on his very popular website for many more to discover and learn from. I hope that I have always been a good friend to all of you and a humble competitor. It's been a whirlwind these past years. Starting at age 12 without a clue about my future, I now look at graduating college soon and beginning my own personal and professional life. I'd love to have a family soon and teach them all about the joys that the Rubik's Cube has brought to me.

I don't think I'll ever retire completely, but for now I'm happy with what I have accomplished. Though I never got world class at any events, I seldom got frustrated with my results - it wass just good fun the whole time. I even managed to weasel my way into top 100 in a few events from time-to-time. I've seen so many great people come and go from the speedsolving scene throughout the years and I just think it's my time now. Like I said, I don't think I'll ever completely stop but for competitive speedsolving, it's time to move on for now. I wish all of you the best and I hope to see this sport get the recognition it's so obviously deserves.

Jack

JonnyWhoopes

Premium Member
WCA
2011GRAY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm back after a few year break. I starting cubing May of 2008, and stopped sometime early 2014.

I've got three questions. First, are there any major regulation changes over the last few years? And second, I'm still using an old as **** "Godly GuHong" I got modded by a member here ages ago. What's the newest hotness when it comes to hardware? Interested in pretty much all puzzles. Lastly, any new forum rules I should watch out for?