• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The "I quit / pause / return / change / etc." thread

adimare

WCA
2011MARE02
1. Picked up cubing in 2009.
2. Decided to go to a competition in 2011, was probably averaging ~1 min at the time but decided to prepare a lot for it because I'd be the first Costa Rican to ever participate and I didn't want the NR to be too embarrassing.
3. Learned full PLL and OLL in ~2 weeks, wasn't too good at recognizing the different cases by the time the competition came so I got pretty inconsistent times, best was 20.72.
4. Quit for a few years.
5. Sort of got back in 2015, got curious about learning different methods and BLD, dropped it again fairly quickly.
6. Don't think I solved a single cube in 2016.
7. NR got beaten this year by two competitors with 11.xx solves, and for the first time there'll be a competition in Costa Rica this year so I got a bit interested again.

Averaging ~16 now, and there's a bunch of sub-10 kids now so I don't think I'll bother, but if I put some effort into it I might give them a run for their money in 3BLD.

dboeren

Just got back into cubing after a couple years away. Forgot much of my Roux, and my old notes assume more experience than I now possess so I can't understand some parts anymore. My general pattern is to learn to solve, do cubing for a few months, and then fall out of it again.

Took me one long evening to get back to being able to solve without crib notes, although in some cases I have to resort to slower cycling methods if I don't remember the more direct algorithm. My goal over the next few days is to finish re-learning the last few algorithms and once I have that smooth do some timed solves to see just how rusty I am now...

S4sami

I've not been cubing in quite a long time, what signifigant changes have happened since then?

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
So I used to cube back in late 2016 Early 2017, But somewhere around may 2017 I stopped cubing. I recently wanted to get back into it but I don't really know how. Any suggestions as to where I should start again?
First off, Make sure that you have a method that you like. If you had a method but wanted to switch then now would be the time to do so. Roux ZZ/ZZ-CT, and CFOP seem to be the main methods at the moment.

If you already have a method then I would recommend that you look some things up on it/ask things about things for it. And what I mean by that is if you are stuck at a point on the cube that you wish you were faster/better at then just ask around and help will come.

With that being said, if you are just out of practice and have gotten pretty slow, then make sure that you do several solves (not even worrying about the time) to just get back in to cubing as a whole. I think that once you start to cube more you, things will start to come back and getting better will not be to hard. Please do ask questions with wherever you have them, and remember to enjoy cubing!:)

The Torrent

Nobody remembers me, I don’t remember anybody.

I’m back to cubing, sadly my gan cube (is that what it was called, I forgot everything) was broken and I’m back with a 49 second average on a mf3rs2 if that’s what it’s called.

Now I want to come back, just a little depressed that I’ve forgotten so much. Can anyone give any tips about coming back to cubing?

Reading my signature I see my average wa sonly 47 before but that was probably just last I updated. I think I got my average down to about 3”, pb 26 or something like that. I don’t even remember how to do 2x2, 4x4, 5x5... rip...

Wow I own a piramynx too! Wow lol I totally forgot I better go find that!!!

greentgoatgal

Hi, welcome back :) I would suggest just watching some beginner tutorials for the cubes you used to know. You will probably pick them back up pretty fast. Also going to comps is always super motivational and encouraging, at least for me.

YouTube
channel/UCCLfqEI
Nobody remembers me, I don’t remember anybody.

I’m back to cubing, sadly my gan cube (is that what it was called, I forgot everything) was broken and I’m back with a 49 second average on a mf3rs2 if that’s what it’s called.

Now I want to come back, just a little depressed that I’ve forgotten so much. Can anyone give any tips about coming back to cubing?
May I try to fix your cube?

Nilsibert

WCA
2014FREY01
YouTube
Nilsibert
Coming back after a few years of not cubing.
Haveto relearn half of OLL, and it's annoying lol, those knight cases...
Anyhow, funnily enough I'm still sub20(was sub15 before I quit), but I'm taking it more casual now, even trying to go color neutral :D

Ivan95

WCA
2015MILE01
YouTube
ivanmiletic
It was never supposed to happen. I never planned to learn 3-style. I was happy with M2/OP. Had you asked me a year ago if I would ever learn 3-style, the answer would’ve been definitely not. Cubing was never supposed to be something so serious that I would dedicate months to just to get faster. It was supposed to be a hobby. Something I enjoy doing, something that would relax me after a long day. It used to be that and I used to love that. I didn’t care about times, I was just solving. Obviously that meant that I wasn’t very fast, but I didn’t mind, because it was fun. I even managed to get few NRs along the way, even though I never really tried that hard, so it was a nice bonus. What I realize now is that, the moment I decided I should learn 3-style I made an unconscious decision to kill my cubing career. The moment that I started to feel that I need to actively practice, to try to get good, it stopped being a hobby. It started to become something that would frustrate me, something that would make me angry and stressed out. That’s not what I wanted from my hobby. Not just that, but it started to take up way too much of my time. Some other things I enjoyed, I stopped doing, because of cubing. It just didn’t feel right.

It was a quick decision and even though I do feel kind of sad, I also feel relieved and more importantly, my gut is telling me it’s the right decision, as well as the right time to make such a decision. The moment it stopped being fun is the moment I knew I had to stop.

I don’t hate cubing, I’ll never hate it, it will always be something special for me and I will most likely still go to comps, but from now on just as a spectator (and possibly judge), but not as a competitor. It was a quick decision, but it wasn’t an easy one, but like I said, it does feel like a right decision. So, that’s all from me, as far as the cubing goes, maybe I’ll catch you somewhere else.
And yes, I’m aware that I’m not the first person to quit cubing, but I just felt like I needed to say these things, so I hope I didn’t waste too much of you time.

Take care and be happy.

Btw this is some of my blind stuff, someone might find it useful
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13RT4VnQLAZyZVoK7UqUfk8fvid5AKW-Y5CPYTN3n0h4/edit?usp=sharing

Also, here's a picture of Feliks getting drunk with Mario and Luigi (to me it looks like Feliks)

Attachments